LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
There's a maximum of 4-5 teams that would have interest in Alex. You can make the argument that Smith is better than Palmer all you want, but that's not going to change how the cap works. When a starting qb makes big dollars they're not going to invest in a 8 million dollar backup. We're not going to do it with a 1 million dollar qb.

Alex has very little trade value to him. You cut him and let him go. Kaepernick on the other hand has value out the wazoo. High ceiling, cheap contract.
please stop underestimating alex. you may not like him and you may think he has reached this so called ceiling people have set before him but i think there are many teams who would love to have him. i am really getting tired of seeing people kick a guy when he is down. alot of people who love alex are very happy ck is doing well. i just do not understand a small segment of people who are just getting a total thrill up thier leg of alex losing his job the way he lost it and kicking him when he is down. i think that is unprofessional, petty and childish to say the least
Originally posted by cciowa:
please stop underestimating alex. you may not like him and you may think he has reached this so called ceiling people have set before him but i think there are many teams who would love to have him. i am really getting tired of seeing people kick a guy when he is down. alot of people who love alex are very happy ck is doing well. i just do not understand a small segment of people who are just getting a total thrill up thier leg of alex losing his job the way he lost it and kicking him when he is down. i think that is unprofessional, petty and childish to say the least

How did I underestimate him? I stated his value. Peyton Manning had 3 serious suitors and 5 teams inquiring and yet you guys believe Alex will have 31 suitors.

He'll have 4-5 max. There just isn't a large amount of teams looking for a qb every year and a few of those teams will go the rookie route as well. Teams like SD, Oak, Dal or the what not are financially invested in their qbs and can't just move on.

With Kap it's different. There's no heavy contract weighing things down. You can't have Carson Palmer and Alex Smith on the roster at the same time. You can have Carson Palmer and Colin Kaepernick on the roster at the same time.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:56 AM ]
There's a maximum of 4-5 teams that would have interest in Alex. You can make the argument that Smith is better than Palmer all you want, but that's not going to change how the cap works. When a starting qb makes big dollars they're not going to invest in a 8 million dollar backup. We're not going to do it with a 1 million dollar qb.

Alex has very little trade value to him. You cut him and let him go. Kaepernick on the other hand has value out the wazoo. High ceiling, cheap contract.

I am not sure why you are getting so angry with this guy's post. How was he kicking Alex while he was down for saying there would be 4-5 teams max that would want him? Thats 3-4 more teams that he thinks would want him than teams that actually wanted him last offseason. I really dont see the necessity for this post bro.
alex is due a 7-8 million roster bonus if we re-sign...

doesn't that mean that we have to pay the 7-8 million? AKA we can't trade him and escape (pawn off on the other team) the 7-8 million.

So are we better off just cutting him?
[ Edited by 49erfaithful49 on Nov 27, 2012 at 10:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:

doesn't that mean that we have to pay the 7-8 million? AKA we can't trade him and escape (pawn off on the other team) the 7-8 million.

no. if he is traded his contract and salary go with him.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by 49erfaithful49:

no. if he is traded his contract and salary go with him.

I believe the roster bonus is due before the trade
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

I am not sure why you are getting so angry with this guy's post. How was he kicking Alex while he was down for saying there would be 4-5 teams max that would want him? Thats 3-4 more teams that he thinks would want him than teams that actually wanted him last offseason. I really dont see the necessity for this post bro.
ok,, thats fine. i am just tired of every other post either gets turned into a post about alex vs ck or you have someone that just can not resist a chance to take a swipe at alex and bring ck into the conversation when this post had nothing to do with ck. it was about trade value for alex. thats it, plain and simple. But hell no we have to find a way to throw in a sly slap in the face and compare the trade value of alex to the trade value of ck. i am sorry, maybe i need new bifocals but i did not think this thread had anything to do with the trade value of alex vs the trade value of ck. there is a reason why the poster just had to go down that road and please please do not roll out the shock and awe campaign that i called him on it.
People are also failing to realize that these so called teams that need a QB (which is really like 5 teams MAX), could use the draft as a way to get a QB.

If you need a qb today, would you spend a late round 1st early 2nd on a rookie QB that unless you strike gold needs a year or two or trade that pick for a seasoned vet that was ranked #3 in the rankings and let his team to a 6-2 record before being replaced by a hothanded rookie that looked more explosive?

Especially if you felt you had all the other pieces and he was on a 2 year contract that was very reasonable?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM ]
ok,, thats fine. i am just tired of every other post either gets turned into a post about alex vs ck or you have someone that just can not resist a chance to take a swipe at alex and bring ck into the conversation when this post had nothing to do with ck. it was about trade value for alex. thats it, plain and simple. But hell no we have to find a way to throw in a sly slap in the face and compare the trade value of alex to the trade value of ck. i am sorry, maybe i need new bifocals but i did not think this thread had anything to do with the trade value of alex vs the trade value of ck. there is a reason why the poster just had to go down that road and please please do not roll out the shock and awe campaign that i called him on it.

Okay but you're just being sensitive. If I was bashing Smith and praising Kap why in the Hell would I want to talk about Kap's trade value? You don't trade Aaron Rodgers. His trade value is if you consider the move you should be taken out back and shot in the head. Me talking about both guy's trade value is me saying both guys have the ability to win the job still.

Kaepernick has more trade value because he's cheaper, younger, and has more upside. It also helps that RG3 is tearing up the league. It's a copycat league and someone is going to look at Kap's arm, smarts, and legs and start drooling.

It's different with Smith. He's going to be considered for 1 scenario and that's it. 8 million dollar starting qb on a bad team with a young backup just in case things go wrong. Philly, KC, maybe the Jets if the release Sanchez. He's too good of a qb to bring in with an established guy, and has too big of contract for it anyways.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2012 at 11:42 AM ]
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by modninerfan:
I believe the roster bonus is due before the trade
The roster bonus is only a mil. That's a small price to pay to wait and trade him in March imo.

April 1st is the bigger deadline when his 7.5 M base salary becomes guaranteed.

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
trade him for a box of tater tots
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
trade him for a box of tater tots

That was useful.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
People are also failing to realize that these so called teams that need a QB (which is really like 5 teams MAX), could use the draft as a way to get a QB.

If you need a qb today, would you spend a late round 1st early 2nd on a rookie QB that unless you strike gold needs a year or two or trade that pick for a seasoned vet that was ranked #3 in the rankings and let his team to a 6-2 record before being replaced by a hothanded rookie that looked more explosive?

Especially if you felt you had all the other pieces and he was on a 2 year contract that was very reasonable?

Because teams that need QBs arent good teams that are built to win now. Yes, in your example, a team that had all the other pieces in place but a QB would likely prefer Alex to a rookie. But how many situations like that exist in the NFL right now?
Originally posted by Jakemall:

It just depends on the team's talent level and what they're looking to do. Most of the time teams looking for a new qb are also teams with new head coaches. There's different strategies. Some take the Harbaugh approach and grab Smith and draft a developmental guy. Others jump in jhead first with the sexy rookie which might not be there this year.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:00 PM ]
Is there a scenario in which we can get alex to restructure lowering his salary while absorbing the 4/1 salary hit,Then we pick up the phone calling every AFC team fielding offers

I think keeping alex out of the NFC is priority 1.
[ Edited by 94605NiNer on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:12 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone