There are 139 users in the forums

Does Alex Smith have any Trade Value???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I have been thinking he lands in Philly for awhile now. But the more i think about it, Jets could be a real possibility as well. Especially if Ryan keeps his job.

I think if there is a trade, Philly and the Jets make some sense. Other teams might be interested as well.

If he gets released i fully expect multiple teams to be involved, but the three teams i see possibly making strong cases would be Philly, Jets, and Arizona. You could add alot that could be possibilitys though, but i do not want to see him in Arizona.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Nov 27, 2012 at 12:15 PM ]
Tebow went for a 4th and 6th and cash. We could get a 3rd for Alex IMO and possibly another late pick.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Tebow went for a 4th and 6th and cash. We could get a 3rd for Alex IMO and possibly another late pick.

QB class isaint very deep this year, I could see an early to mid second rounder, and a fourth/fifth.
I think the best offer you get for Smith is a 5th rounder... That's at BEST! JH made Smith look serviceable. Teams looking for a QB are not gonna trade anything of value to pick up Mr. Add Nuthing. You trade for assets and Smith was the weak link of this team - JH built "for" AS not around him...

Dirty
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Because teams that need QBs arent good teams that are built to win now. Yes, in your example, a team that had all the other pieces in place but a QB would likely prefer Alex to a rookie. But how many situations like that exist in the NFL right now?

The eagles would be a pretty good fit. Jacksonville could be another. Az would also be another destination...but I doubt that we trade Alex to a rival.
This all depends on who starts at qb the rest of the season and how we finish.

But I think Trent would like to cut bait with Alex and use the money for the D.

Alex will not restructure his contract so Kap can start and he can ride the pine.

I say it between Philly, Jets and the Cards. These are 3 teams playing well below their talent level and I think Alex would go for any of these teams (even for less money) over cellar dwellers.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Because teams that need QBs arent good teams that are built to win now. Yes, in your example, a team that had all the other pieces in place but a QB would likely prefer Alex to a rookie. But how many situations like that exist in the NFL right now?

The eagles would be a pretty good fit. Jacksonville could be another. Az would also be another destination...but I doubt that we trade Alex to a rival.

I dont disagree with you that Alex could be better than any option on any of those three teams. My question to you is do you really think those teams are JUST missing a QB? In my opinion, those teams are an absolute MESS. If i was the GM of those teams, I draft a QB and hope I pick one that turns into a franchise guy. In no way do I sign an average, veteran QB to be the starter. Those teams are no where close to winning now, so bringing in a veteran stopgap makes no sense.
Since there are a lot of teams that need a very good QB like KC and the others listed here - if I'm a GM and have a QB need - I'm not waiting for him to hit FA. I make an offer and get what I need.

The more teams that need a QB the more likely some will make an offer.
are you kidding? teams like oakland, cleveland, miami, would definately bring him in
Couple things. I agree with cc about so many folks taking shots at alex. I also agree w/ tjd that Kap is more valuable in that his contract is $1mil. That doesn't mean I favor kap, who has looked spectacular in two games....and that is the key....TWO (2) games. Kap hasn't seen Osi, Pierre Paul, Tuck all up close and personal. He has yet to see 4 300 pounders up close in his grill. And until he does that , he is an unknown commodity in my opinion. Is now the time to find out how kap does with the BIG RUSH, or should we do this like sane people and let him start in TC and PS and see how he does. Bringing in an excellent player with terrific upside may be great for the rams game, and the slimmed down SEahawks(minus two CBs). But is Coach H really ready to try out Kap against PATS? I don't think so.

And then we are in the playoffs, and Kap would get a lot of unwanted learning from every BIG RUSH out there. That IS the playoffs. One great D against another. If the Os are good then they win. But if the O has a rook playing qb, then you have situated yourself from a position of power to a position of weakness. Who knows, maybe Kap would be just the ticket for the NYG or ATL. But chances are also good, maybe better, that Kap isn't ready yet. He beat a bad rams team and then beat a coachless, thinned out D in New Orleans...and our D scored 14 pts. I wouldn't want my coaching career in the hands of a rook, no matter how good...and especially only 5 games away from playoffs.. Hey, good? check out Cam Newton. Guy can run like a deer, and throw the ball the length of the field. He's having a bad yr. No reason Kap couldn't do the same. If he's great and Harbaugh picks him to win it all, then good luck when the nut cutters come. And they will.Nah, he's going with Alex, which is the percentage play. And the players, who admire kaps abilities, know that alex is the best pick...heck, they ALL want that SB ring with a W on it...
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Nov 27, 2012 at 2:01 PM ]

I'll be surprised if we get anything higher than a 5th
3rd round pick and a good kicker
Once again: KC is not trading for a QB again after their disaster the previous time they did so. They'll have the #1 overall pick and a new coach who will basically draft his guy. That's them out then. The same holds for all the currently terrible teams, including SD (definitely new coach, could keep Rivers and/or draft a new guy high). Jacksonville is an interesting case since they have a high pick as well (possibly #2), but they may not have written off Gabbert already (they might, but who knows). Still, they have the option of drafting again and hoping. Oakland similarly may try to draft and have Palmer front the rook. Carolina are set. And so on for the bad teams. Philly is a possible, but it seems from today's Babin cut that they may be blowing the whole thing up and rebuilding, and they will hold a high pick.

Which brings us to: you forget that Vick will definitely hit the open market as an FA (no way Philly or a trade partner takes over that contract. Now, it may well be that Smith is better than Vick (I believe so, anyway), but one is an FA and another will require a trade. He's bound to take some trade partners away. If you're Arizona for example, Vick might be a better option for you. Sure, that terrible OL will probably get him killed, but so will it do for Alex. Why not use the high pick and draft for OL, sign Vick and keep one of their current three stooges for backup (Skelton probably).

Furthermore, teams can just take the risk and wait until he gets cut, as he definitely will if he loses his job.

The Palmer doesn't compare, it was a panicked move in the middle of the season.

Whatever one thinks of the guy (and I happen to like him and appreciate what he's done for us) Alex's not going to have many suitors as trade bait, if any. I think the best for the team and for the guy is to let him go and try his luck in FA where he'll be far more desirable. He may get a good backup role in a place like the Jets were the incumbent is a muppet and may quickly make way for him, or get a veteran mentor stint to start while a rook is learning the ropes. Either way I either see that happening for him through FA, or through a low pick offer (4th or thereabouts).
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I have a couple of questions.

1. Can the 49ers trade Alex before they have to pay him?
2. If they pay him and then trade him, is he still a hit on their cap? (I assume that a roster bonus is not transferable in a trade)
3rd or 4th at best .
Share 49ersWebzone