There are 240 users in the forums

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Hey Alex hasnt done anything to lose his job,...then again he hasnt done anything to keep it either. He is good, and gets by, but Harbaugh obviously wanted someone better(Manning?)for a reason..Reason being, Smith cant/wont fling that deep ball on a deep pass play more often than not because either he waits too long to think about it, or he knows he cant make it. Pretty obvious when you go to a game and see his deep passes. We did go all out on receivers this offseason as well. Kapernick is playing Jim Harbaugh football better than Alex s right now, he knows if he can hit these guys, he will throw. You go with the hot hand, Its business...nothing personal.
Originally posted by goldrush49:
Hey Alex hasnt done anything to lose his job,...then again he hasnt done anything to keep it either. He is good, and gets by, but Harbaugh obviously wanted someone better(Manning?)for a reason..Reason being, Smith cant/wont fling that deep ball on a deep pass play more often than not because either he waits too long to think about it, or he knows he cant make it. Pretty obvious when you go to a game and see his deep passes. We did go all out on receivers this offseason as well. Kapernick is playing Jim Harbaugh football better than Alex s right now, he knows if he can hit these guys, he will throw. You go with the hot hand, Its business...nothing personal.

We need a QB that will hit the open guy, not a QB who "thinks" he can hit the guy.
Other than his inexperience, please tell what is Kaep's weaknesses? He had a problem with how he handled the ball in the Rams game. Amazingly, he had it fixed by the next game and hasn't had an issue with it since. That INT he threw? Rookie mistake and an experience needed that luckily did not cost the game that I'm sure can be fixed. Clock mgmt? Trust me, this is one of the things that still infuriate me when I see the same thing with Alex. As an 8 year vet, he STILL has this issue. Hopefully, Kaep can fix that as well.

Here's my thing, though. I want absolutely no switching back and forth whatsoever. If he's sticking with Kaep, he needs to let him play consistently to get him ready for the playoffs. If he's sticking with Smith, then let Alex play. I can tell it irritates Alex when Kaep comes in for the Wolfpack or for deep throws. It's time Roman and Harbaugh stop treating Alex like he can't throw.
[ Edited by YoungWifey on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:12 PM ]
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Kaep has plyed against the simplest defense in the league (Bears) and the worst defense in the league (Saints). I'll hold my judgement until he plays someone like the Giants or even the Seahawks if they are at full strength
Originally posted by THEB:
Kaep has plyed against the simplest defense in the league (Bears) and the worst defense in the league (Saints). I'll hold my judgement until he plays someone like the Giants or even the Seahawks if they are at full strength

Actually, he's played well against one of the BEST defenses in the league (holding most QBs to subpar QBR ratings) and one of the most POTENT offenses in the league. Mind you the latter was in the loudest dome stadium in the league.

Not too shabby for a "rookie" in his first 2 starts.....
Interesting...the ESPN poll was divided 66-34% in favor of Kaep; similar to the zone.

Guess the future is NOW.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
It doesn't matter, if CK starts one more game, it's too late to go back to Smith.

I think if CK starts in the playoffs, our chance at getting to a Super Bowl is about 5-10 percent. Just getting there.

What do you feel the chance is if Alex starts the playoffs?

Honest question

I think it could be up to 50-50 (Remember, this is just making it there -- not getting into whether we win it or not). Only because Smith is incredibly smart and if he had to face the Giants again I believe he would have a far better game, showing he learned from the one poor showing. Smith is a guy who gets better and better as the season goes along.

I feel like the chances of Kaepernick making too many mistakes is higher than Smith, and that's ultimately why I'd feel more comfortable with Alex in the playoffs right now. Next year, in CK's third year, all bets are off though.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM ]
Originally posted by THEB:

That is so unfair. That's like taking away that brilliant game Alex and the offense had against the Bills. Unbelievable.

The Bears and Saints were one of the hardest teams to play this season.
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for Faraz80.
Originally posted by jcashen87:
It doesn't matter, if CK starts one more game, it's too late to go back to Smith.

I think if CK starts in the playoffs, our chance at getting to a Super Bowl is about 5-10 percent. Just getting there.

What do you feel the chance is if Alex starts the playoffs?

Honest question

I think it could be up to 50-50. Only because Smith is incredibly smart and if he had to face the Giants again I believe he would have a far better game, showing he learned from the one poor showing. Smith is a guy who gets better and better as the season goes along.

I feel like the chances of Kaepernick making too many mistakes is higher than Smith, and that's ultimately why I'd feel more comfortable with Alex in the playoffs right now. Next year, in CK's third year, all bets are off though.

I'll add to that. That 50-50 increases/decreases dramatically based on our defensive play. If the games are grind it out, run heavy....and the defense keeps the score low, I think Alex gives us the best chance to win.

The question now is........if we're playing the Giants/Packers and fall behind by 14-17 points, who gives us the best chance to win. Im not so sure I trust Alex in that scenario. Do you ?
If there wasn't 7.5 years of emotion invested in Smith, if nobody knew his name before this season, this Poll would be 100% in favor of Kaep based on skill alone.

Originally posted by SealTeam6:
If there wasn't 7.5 years of emotion invested in Smith, if nobody knew his name before this season, this Poll would be 100% in favor of Kaep based on skill alone.

ouch
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
I'm an Alex fan... I think he is a better than average QB because he is so smart and does an outstanding job of getting into the right play and not making mistakes, but his biggest weakness is the deep pass.

I'm an even bigger Kaep fan now... The biggest question about Kaep has been his lack of experience - what Smith is great at, making the right calls at the line and not making big mistakes. He's proven in the last 2.5 games against a very good Bears D and possibly the loudest stadium in the NFL that he can do those things, He may not be as effective as Smith (he may turn it over running or try to force something he shouldn't) in those situations, but his athletic ability, his arm strength and ability to throw the deep ball are far better than Smiths.

Both players are deserving and worthy of being the starter, but only one gets it. Until Kaep proves that he can't do things Smith excels he has to be the guy. We know what he can do that Smith can't... plus I think it's entirely possible that if Kaep does struggle at some point enough that Harbaugh decides to go with Smith, Alex will have something to prove... again. If you go back to Alex now, it's his the rest of the season barring injury.
Originally posted by Pick6:
I'm an Alex fan... I think he is a better than average QB because he is so smart and does an outstanding job of getting into the right play and not making mistakes, but his biggest weakness is the deep pass.

I'm an even bigger Kaep fan now... The biggest question about Kaep has been his lack of experience - what Smith is great at, making the right calls at the line and not making big mistakes. He's proven in the last 2.5 games against a very good Bears D and possibly the loudest stadium in the NFL that he can do those things, He may not be as effective as Smith (he may turn it over running or try to force something he shouldn't) in those situations, but his athletic ability, his arm strength and ability to throw the deep ball are far better than Smiths.

Both players are deserving and worthy of being the starter, but only one gets it. Until Kaep proves that he can't do things Smith excels he has to be the guy. We know what he can do that Smith can't... plus I think it's entirely possible that if Kaep does struggle at some point enough that Harbaugh decides to go with Smith, Alex will have something to prove... again. If you go back to Alex now, it's his the rest of the season barring injury.

I think as Kaepernick grows, he will excel in the mental aspect of the game - making reads, adjustments, making the right decisions, and being mentally tough in situations.

Remember, Kaep is a smart guy, he scored a 37 on the wonderlic test, and in college he came out with a 4.0 GPA. He's a very bright individual who also studies the game from what I've heard.
I'm thankful for all that Alex Smith has done for the team in helping them win their games and sticking it out during the bad times. But right now this team is ready to bring that Sixth Lombardi and Kaepernick is the way to go. You can compare the two QBs stats, but the way CK got those yards was impressive. CK can extend plays instead of taking sacks. I have a lot more confidence in CK converting a 3rd and long rather than expecting a checkdown or run play on a 3rd and long from Smith. CK can also help in the redzone and have drives end with TDs instead of FGs. With CK behind center this offense is very dangerous. Alex may have experience over CK, I truly believe CK gives us the best chance at winning it all. Instead of just playing it safe with Alex in just reaching the postseason, go with the bold move and let CK continue as the starter. Players are reacting to CK as the starter, Gore actually danced after a TD he almost never does that. Moss and CK get together with Harbaugh on the sidelines about the plays. Praises towards CK from his teammates. I can see 3rd down and redzone production going up with Kaepernick leading the way. NY Giants are a big obstacle, i can see CK avoiding their 4 man pass rush and making plays.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I like both players, but if your not going to bring back Alex, then just go ahead and name Kap the starter now and into the future.
Share 49ersWebzone