LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 246 users in the forums

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Who should be the 49ers QB for the rest of the year?

There's no option for Ken Dorsey?
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
NineFourNiner: Ah. So the truth is that right when Smith was concussed JH finally got fed up and decided to play the better player? The light bulb went on right after Smith was 7/8 with a TD to Crabs? ..and this assumes that Smith will not be the starter next week, something which Harbs has not yet said. What if Harbs goes with Smith on Wednesday? Which I think he will do.

It will be interesting to see which QB is named the starter. I could see it going wither way based on the statements made in coach's presser today. So, in that regard, I think it is premature to declare that Smith has "lost his job."

However, regardless of who one thinks is a better QB and assuming CK starts from here on out, to state that Smith did not lose his job due to injury seems disingenuous: If Smith doesn't get concussed, Kaep never comes in to QB the rest of the Lambs game. Now, if coach goes with Kaep because of how he has played in recent weeks (which is very well), that is different.
Originally posted by nipplehead:

How have you been, dude?
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by forty9ers:
Originally posted by Dirty9er:
Alex Smith did not "lose" his job to an injury! He lost his job because our head coach took an opportunity to insert the "better" player. The player HE PICKED,,, The "player" HE (JH) see's in practice everyday! It amazes me that when JH kept AS in the lineup, the Smith fans made themselves believe that it was because JH was convinced of the greatness of AS... But when JH makes a move away from AS it's some kind of conspiracy, ineptitude or shortsightedness! JH went with the better QB! A QB that can convert 3rd downs, a QB without a million limitations... CK is flat out Better than Smith! And our spectacularly brilliant head coach "Coach of the YEAR" knew it, knows it and did something about it... Great players don't lose their jobs to injury!

Dirty

well said

then why wasn't CK7 inserted as a starter earlier? If Harbs has always known that CK is better, why not play him from jump?

That's actually pretty simple... No one can predict the future but everytime he inserted CK into the lineup I'm sure he was doing some super heavy duty eval's on him. Also, JH is smart enough to know that he didn't know exactly what he had with CK and he talked up Smith while creating a super simple QB system. Could you imagine the pressure that would have been on CK and JH had CK started the season as the starter? This as a by product gave JH more time to refine his QB system. None of this is new - JH and the organization went after P Manning for a reason! No other team with a settled QB situation went after Manning - we did! JH has been prepping and working toward the "great Smith" replacement for some time... Lastly, for all of the praise that he heaped on Smith what else would he say? His actions however point out that this is a move that he and the organization wanted to make for a good long time! I give mad credit to them both (JH and the organization) they have built a product that is built to last and they gave our team a late season psychological boost and they just saved us a ton in (pardon the near pun) Kap space – lol…

Dirty
Kaepernick,

Here is why,

1. The biggest reason, mobility, his ability to extend the play is phenomenal. Look at the Saints game, there were 4 or 5 of those plays where he was almost sacked and ended up completing a pass for positive yards, if Alex is in there he is sacked on those 4 or 5 plays. Don't want to take anything away from Alex he has had a good run over the last year and a half but when pressured he isn't very good, you see that deer in the headlight look pretty often with him when he has blitzers in his face.

2. Kaepernick makes this offense explosive. Kaep isn't afraid to throw the ball down the field and allows receivers to go make a play on the ball and let big things happen. About three of those throws he made in the Bears game, Alex wouldn't even have attempted let alone completed. I love Kaep's confidence out there.

3. Running ability, Everybody can see that Kaep has a good set of wheels on him and if things break down and everyone is covered down field the guy can take off and make big things happen in the run game. Alex can run some to but not like Kaep can. Kaep also makes teams prepare for the zone read because of his running ability.

4. I like Kaep's ability to spread the ball around to everybody and get everyone involved in the game instead of just hitting check downs half of the time like Alex does. Manningham strung together some catches Sunday and had arguably his best game of the year and I believe a large part of that was Kaep finding him when he is open.

5. Arm Strength, Kaep has a stronger and more accurate arm than Alex does and can fit the ball into a tight window when he has. See the pass down the middle to Delaine Walker yesterday as a prime example.

Overall I feel Kaep is the better qb and gives us the best chance to win and although I am grateful for what Alex has done over the past year and a half, this is a business and you gotta do what is best for the team and right now that is Colin Kaepernick.

Hope for a great rest of the season and Go Niners!
Alex Smith did not "lose" his job to an injury! He lost his job because our head coach took an opportunity to insert the "better" player. The player HE PICKED,,, The "player" HE (JH) see's in practice everyday! It amazes me that when JH kept AS in the lineup, the Smith fans made themselves believe that it was because JH was convinced of the greatness of AS... But when JH makes a move away from AS it's some kind of conspiracy, ineptitude or shortsightedness! JH went with the better QB! A QB that can convert 3rd downs, a QB without a million limitations... CK is flat out Better than Smith! And our spectacularly brilliant head coach "Coach of the YEAR" knew it, knows it and did something about it... Great players don't lose their jobs to injury!

Dirty

well said

then why wasn't CK7 inserted as a starter earlier? If Harbs has always known that CK is better, why not play him from jump?

That's actually pretty simple... No one can predict the future but everytime he inserted CK into the lineup I'm sure he was doing some super heavy duty eval's on him. Also, JH is smart enough to know that he didn't know exactly what he had with CK and he talked up Smith while creating a super simple QB system. Could you imagine the pressure that would have been on CK and JH had CK started the season as the starter? This as a by product gave JH more time to refine his QB system. None of this is new - JH and the organization went after P Manning for a reason! No other team with a settled QB situation went after Manning - we did! JH has been prepping and working toward the "great Smith" replacement for some time... Lastly, for all of the praise that he heaped on Smith what else would he say? His actions however point out that this is a move that he and the organization wanted to make for a good long time! I give mad credit to them both (JH and the organization) they have built a product that is built to last and they gave our team a late season psychological boost and they just saved us a ton in (pardon the near pun) Kap space – lol…

Dirty

There is no doubt that Kaep will be the QB of this team. As you said, JH (and Baalke) picked him. But why didn't JH insert Kaep earlier - the week before, two weeks, three? If Kaep is head and shoulders better -and everyone who sees games and practices knows that - why no start him earlier? I think that if Smith does not get concussed, we are not having this discussion in 2012. I know that you disagree.
I think Kaepernick should be the starter to see how he does. If he does good now that shows that we have no need to resign Smith again. The future is now lol save money to keep some defensive players
I think Smith should have kept the job. But now that Harbaugh benched Smith, Kaep should keep the job.
Originally posted by nipplehead:

How have you been, dude?

Can't complain, man! Still watching every Niners game. Enjoying this winning feeling I get watching them! Just busy, working for a firm in Costa Mesa. I lurk some but try not to sucked back into the fray...the 'Zone can be quite addictive if you let it be

How about yourself?
Jim Harbaugh!!!

im getting sick of arguing with 70% of you guys who have never had faith in alex. let me make this simple. if alex puts up the same numbers against the saints as kaep you guys want him benched. kaep dose it and hes the next joe montana. 70 percent of you guys are idiots and im sick of hearing your opnions. im going silent tell we get our real qb back. if this franchise is going to be this unloyal i will watch but i sure as hell wont get butterflies before the game like i do now. i was disgusted with how we treated joe and it took me along time to get over it. if we do it to alex.....wow. i know dont let the door hit me on the way out. F*^% 70 percent of you guys. im out. 1 less webzone addict.
I'll have to check the Madden ratings and get back to you

Dirty

well said

Dirty

There is no doubt that Kaep will be the QB of this team. As you said, JH (and Baalke) picked him. But why didn't JH insert Kaep earlier - the week before, two weeks, three? If Kaep is head and shoulders better -and everyone who sees games and practices knows that - why no start him earlier? I think that if Smith does not get concussed, we are not having this discussion in 2012. I know that you disagree.

You do know that you are asking for speculation right? No probleemo' though... Again easy answer,,, "because Smith didn't get hurt earlier". I guess that sounds cold but I can't answer it any other way. I don't think they were looking for an injury but I think they were looking for any "IN" they could establish. Oh, and for the record I'd kind of agree with you in that if Smith never gives them an "IN" that Smith would still be starting. But believe this - CK would have seen his % of plays continue to go up and go up dramatically...

Dirty9er
Cody Pickett
Quote button failed me. THis was @ the post about why they didn't go with Colin sooner. ----Because he wasn't ready. Alex was playing great football and I suspect Colin is just a bit of a gamer. I bet they don't see it all in practice. However the main reason is Alex was playing great football.
[ Edited by VA49er on Nov 26, 2012 at 5:38 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone