There are 137 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Alex Smith's Future: What do you think will happen after this season?

Alex Smith's Future: What do you think will happen after this season?

Originally posted by gold49digger:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
If we can trade him we will trade him. If not he ill be released.

My personal thoughts on landing spots would be Philly, Oakland, Arizona, KC. In that order.

No matter where he lands i wish him the best and will always remember his playoff performance over the bad years. He will awlays remain a 49er in my eyes.


not gonna lie, if he does leave i will get a tad emotional.

Yea man. He's been here a good while. As much as he is hated by some fans, the man has been a true professional. He held his head high through all the crap, restructured his rookie deal, came back after the injury blunder, ran camp Alex(big part of the reason we were successful to start the season last year) and always represented the ORG in a great, professional manor. He still has alot of football left in him.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,225
Buffalo
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Makes me wish we would've won the SB even more last year. He worked to build this team, and didn't even get a ring.

He can still get one this year. And IF we do get #6, Alex will deserve some credit, even if he never sees another snap. He played well for half the season for us.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea man. He's been here a good while. As much as he is hated by some fans, the man has been a true professional. He held his head high through all the crap, restructured his rookie deal, came back after the injury blunder, ran camp Alex(big part of the reason we were successful to start the season last year) and always represented the ORG in a great, professional manor. He still has alot of football left in him.

If only harbaugh and co has been here since the beginning...
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,904
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will be released very likely. Because his salary option is a little high and we need the cap room. There is always the possibilty that he comes back to be a high end backup for us at a reduced salary. Don't discount this possibility. That would give us 2 good QB's. Never a bad thing in the NFL. Plus he likes Harbaugh, knows the system, the players and apparently doesn't like to move. It takes him multiple years to learn a new system so he may want to stay with this one.

Hard to fathom him returning for backup money after what Harbaugh has done. However nice and understanding Alex appears to be, he's still human, there has to be a line and I think Harbaugh has crossed it. He will be a good soldier the rest of this season but I'm resigned to him leaving.
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will be released very likely. Because his salary option is a little high and we need the cap room. There is always the possibilty that he comes back to be a high end backup for us at a reduced salary. Don't discount this possibility. That would give us 2 good QB's. Never a bad thing in the NFL. Plus he likes Harbaugh, knows the system, the players and apparently doesn't like to move. It takes him multiple years to learn a new system so he may want to stay with this one.

Hard to fathom him returning for backup money after what Harbaugh has done. However nice and understanding Alex appears to be, he's still human, there has to be a line and I think Harbaugh has crossed it. He will be a good soldier the rest of this season but I'm resigned to him leaving.


Maybe. But with Alex's personality and how lont it takes him to learn a system I could see that as a possibility.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,904
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by vaden:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He will be released very likely. Because his salary option is a little high and we need the cap room. There is always the possibilty that he comes back to be a high end backup for us at a reduced salary. Don't discount this possibility. That would give us 2 good QB's. Never a bad thing in the NFL. Plus he likes Harbaugh, knows the system, the players and apparently doesn't like to move. It takes him multiple years to learn a new system so he may want to stay with this one.

Hard to fathom him returning for backup money after what Harbaugh has done. However nice and understanding Alex appears to be, he's still human, there has to be a line and I think Harbaugh has crossed it. He will be a good soldier the rest of this season but I'm resigned to him leaving.


Maybe. But with Alex's personality and how lont it takes him to learn a system I could see that as a possibility.

He's learned so many systems by now that I think that's much less of an issue.
SEE YA! No way Alex is on this team unless he's willing to be a back-up quarterback...
Follows Roman where ever it is he ends up being HC
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Follows Roman where ever it is he ends up being HC

This, everyone is forgetting the deal when Harbaugh said "Alex is my guy." Everyone wants to assume that was a statement of loyalty when in fact it was an endorsement that Alex would come back while they draft a QB of the future, and Alex would play the mentor until Harbaugh wanted to switch. Obviously Alex didnt think it would be like this, but look at who his own mentors were in Shaun Hill and Dilfer, both had their "moments" but eventually had to give way to a more talented QB.

CK's physical skills are undeniable, faster, stronger and more accurate (at least in their accuracy contests at practice), it was only a matter of time before his mind caught up to his body, Alex saw what everybody else saw and knows that if CK consistently shows up like that then he IS the better QB. Alex is the ultimate pro, mad respect to him.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,612
We'll trade him to one of the qb needy teams. Probably for a 3rd rdr or something.
He will start against the Rams, IMO, or at least he should. If Smith is healthy he should be the starter. I only hope Kaepernick is starting Sunday at New Orleans because of Smith's injury, and not to replace Smith permanently. Kaepernick had a great game and looked damn impressive against a good Bears defense. Now teams have film on him. I have a very bad feeling about this game if Kap starts the game Sunday. I hope I eat crow, but Alex Smith gives this team the best chance to win right now, not Kap. I will not be surprised if we get whipped Sunday, and saying that kills me. I honestly don't think Kap is ready. I'm behind Alex 100%. A team that changes QBs mid season never wins a Super Bowl that season, and won't win one the next season for that matter. If Kap is our new #1, prepare yourselves for disappointment this year, and quite possibly next year also. Im a lifelong fan but just don't agree with the switch, it's too early.
Alex Smith wont be traded for anything more then a 7th round pick. So he will be better of as a back-up QB. Alex will make a very good back up.
I wish Alex Smith all the luck in his future endeavors. He has been with this team for an eternity it seems. It's impossible to not feel for the guy.

If he wants to keep playing, I'm sure he can stay in the league, but I doubt it will be with us. I doubt we will be able to trade him either. People forget how rare trades are. We will probably end up releasing him, perhaps he gets a shot with another team. At the very least, he can continue his career as a reliable backup. Without Harbaugh's brilliance, I'm afraid its going to be an uphill battle to land another starting spot.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,612
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Alex Smith wont be traded for anything more then a 7th round pick. So he will be better of as a back-up QB. Alex will make a very good back up.

You'll be surprised what we can get for him. In his prime, former starter making a low salary. Someone will bite on that.