There are 249 users in the forums

Alex Smith's Future: What do you think will happen after this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Alex Smith's Future: What do you think will happen after this season?

If Alex is done (and I dont think he is) in a 49ers uniform he should know that it was because there was someone better than him and he wasnt just past over for the flavour of the week or there was some politics in the decision. Harbaugh has maintained and the players have echoed that every position is in competition.

And I think as a player leaving thats at least some comfort.
How come "cut or released" isnt an option in the poll?

In all seriousness though, I would love Alex to remain a 49er.....but he would need to do some serious restructuring of his contract. If he was willing to restructure and stay on as our backup, I am down. If not, he will likely be released. $10M for a backup QB is absurd and we will not pay that. I have a hard time believing it will be easy for him to find a new team (much like this past offseason). If and when he does find a new team, he will most likely be holding a clipboard for them. There are very few teams he would start on at this point.
[ Edited by 80sbaby24 on Nov 22, 2012 at 2:40 AM ]
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Bottom line Kaep is Harbaugh's boy. Alex does everything right but still gets hung out to dry. Kaep was going to be there sooner or later, just so happens the Bear game makes it sooner. Alex has millions and in 2013 he'll sign another big contract, but not with the Niners. With his tattoos and his look Kaep is super cool, however he probably won't be on the catwalk with Brady and Gisele anytime soon. But, who knows?

YOUR HATING! STOP IF YOUR A TRUE NINER FAN!

Been a die-hard fan since 1955, I'll take a guess and say you weren't even born yet. If Coach wants Kaep I'm all on board. If Kaep falls on his face in the next few games and Alex comes in and wins, I'm on board. Whatever it takes.
I don't think a trade will happen. I think they are forced to cut him.

Then I see someone like Sean Payton signing with the Cowboys and going after Alex in FA.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ace49ers:
If Alex is done (and I dont think he is) in a 49ers uniform he should know that it was because there was someone better than him and he wasnt just past over for the flavour of the week or there was some politics in the decision. Harbaugh has maintained and the players have echoed that every position is in competition.

And I think as a player leaving thats at least some comfort.

It hasn't been established that Kaep is better than Alex. He certainly wasn't in the same game against the same defense a week ago. Based off 1 amazing start, "Flavor of the week" is all that Kaep can possibly be right now. He can certainly go beyond that, and I believe he will, but he'll have to do a lot more to prove that he's the better QB.
Bottom line Kaep is Harbaugh's boy. Alex does everything right but still gets hung out to dry. Kaep was going to be there sooner or later, just so happens the Bear game makes it sooner. Alex has millions and in 2013 he'll sign another big contract, but not with the Niners. With his tattoos and his look Kaep is super cool, however he probably won't be on the catwalk with Brady and Gisele anytime soon. But, who knows?

Been a die-hard fan since 1955, I'll take a guess and say you weren't even born yet. If Coach wants Kaep I'm all on board. If Kaep falls on his face in the next few games and Alex comes in and wins, I'm on board. Whatever it takes.

You hating on tattoes does make me believe you are old enough to be a fan since 1955.

You hating on tattoes does make me believe you are old enough to be a fan since 1955.
I like the tattoos I think they look super cool, read the English.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
You guys are crazy if you think Alex is coming back.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Makes me wish we would've won the SB even more last year. He worked to build this team, and didn't even get a ring.

This season isnt over yet. You never know if Alex is gonna come back in the game this year.
I can see him getting shipped out to the AFC and on a NYJ uniform for maybe a 2nd rounder and since they are the Jets they might just give us their 1st

Share 49ersWebzone