LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 185 users in the forums

What were some of the offensive difference that you saw against the Bears?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
QB that doesnt play scared
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Receivers being hit in stride

Agree. CK was not forcing the receivers to run back or wait for the passes.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
Receivers being hit in stride

Agree. CK was not forcing the receivers to run back or wait for the passes.

One of the big advantages we had over the Bears, was the fact that we did not need to add plays, or avoid plays. More than once in the broadcast I heard Gruden comment, on how the Bears put that in for this week, or put that in for Cambell. The bears were learning new plays and we were just running the plays we have been practicing since mini camps!

Kap is more of a gunslinger, and it showed, with his fearless desire to push the ball downfield, we may see a few more int's, but I also think we will see safeties back out of the box, creating cleaner lanes to run, and we might even see outside receivers getting doubled more often, leading to single coverage on Vernon, all good things, well except for the picks...
what i noticed is that we started off with great momentum and didnt lose it. usually alex smith starts off with a good drive and then the following drives suck. amazing that Kap kept such a great momentum against a stellar ballhawking defense
Kap avoided pressure and made it look easy half the time. He was able to keep his focus down field while moving away from pressure.
I think anyone that cant tell the difference is a complete idiot. So I'll spell it out for you:

The Oline blocked like their mom was taking snaps. The recievers ran the routes like they were chased by lions and GRo called the game of his career.....duh...

We didn't tie
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think anyone that cant tell the difference is a complete idiot. So I'll spell it out for you:

The Oline blocked like their mom was taking snaps. The recievers ran the routes like they were chased by lions and GRo called the game of his career.....duh...

lmao
any one else notice they stacked the box on almost every play? think about it.
  • irief
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
any one else notice they stacked the box on almost every play? think about it.

Bingo! The big difference is that CK burned the bears for stacking the box or bringing too much pressure. They dared CK to beat them with his arm and he did. Alex, more often than not, is happy to oblige the defense with conservative plays, taking sacks, and 3 and outs when they stack the box or bring pressure. See the Minnesota or Giants game. This has a domino effect causing the rest of the team to lose steam, such has defense/oline/WR's. In this one game sample, it appears that CK's poise and fearless play and athleticism elevated everyone else's play.

These are one of the major factors that make QB's elite, elevating the entire teams play, and making teams pay for daring the QB to beat them with great throws. I'm not saying CK is elite yet, but he showed those qualities in this one game sample. Alex may have some great stats, but these factors aren't necessirly reflected in stats.

what i saw was a dynamic, explosive but more importantly aggresive offense at the first half. bears not only we're surprised of how good passer was kaep by shooting those balls instead it was his attitude challenging one of the most feared and stingy defense showing no hesitation to throw ball or make audibles on the line.

i'm shocked of how he performed even by just some reps last saturday, i can imagine he might torch saints d with a +400 passing yds game with a full week reps.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Kaep was very willing to take shots. That was the big difference. There werent more or less passes than usual, just a greater willingness by the qb to take shots.

That and the bears too kaep far too lightly. Other teams won't and that'll be part Pf the adjustments going forward

I don't agree with that. The decisions that Kaepernick made, Alex makes also. As for accuracy though, Kaepernick was lights out. No guarantee Alex would've accurately thrown those passes, but he would've made those decisions. On a good day, Alex makes those passes. On a bad day, Alex misses ALL of those passes.

The only throw that Kaepernick made the entire night, that I don't think Alex would've made, was the improvised touchdown pass to Crabtree.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Coaches and players say that the game plan and plays were the same....just that Kaep made the plays

Kaep is a lot taller then AS, maybe he just see the field better?

Not what they said, but a good try. Bears tried to stack the box, which Harbaugh said he and the rest of the coaches guessed they would, so they game planned to take advantage of this by throwing more early and on first and second downs. Both Smith and Kaepernick have good completion rates on first down but they have the game plans seldom started out passing as much early in the game. It worked very well. The one pass I believe Kaepernick completed that Smith would not have or could not have is the completion to VD in triple coverage. His arm is strong enough to risk that throw, and I doubt Smith would attempt it.

CK is a dynamic player and may be much better than Smith, but it will take more than one game to prove such. I look forward to seeing CK against NOs this weekend if he starts because it will be a tough game. Not sure if the Saints D is anywhere as good as the Bears but playing in a dome with that noise will be a test.
Kaep keeps the play alive instead of taking a sack.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

You finally post something I can agree with! And Boone said as much...the OLine and WRs knew they would have to raise their games to help CK out. Was a wonderful result and CK made enough good plays to win the game easily.

If he continues to play this well then he will likely be the QB of now and the future. If JH puts Smith back in against NOs the anti-Smith posters will be even more critical, no matter how many 20 of 21, 140+ QBR games he puts up.

Both QBs are very good and they are very different, though CK has surprised me by not making bone head mistakes.
Share 49ersWebzone