LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

"We're gonna go with the hotter hand"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tony2cool4u2k1:
Straight from the horse's mouth. Interprete this statement however u want. There is a QB controversy brewing, montana vs young part deux

lol I hope youre being sarcastic...

Kaepernick will continue to play until Smith is 100% ready to return. When Smith does return, its going to take another injury, or very poor play for him to lose his job. Smith has earned the right to keep his job until he proves he doesnt deserve it. He isnt going to get replaced because Kaep made his first career start and did well.

All this really means is Kaepernick might be alot farther along (and alot better) than most of us anticipated. He certainly backed up his potential with some results tonight.

Super Bowl contending teams dont make QB switches deep into a season just because one guy had a great game. If Smith is healthy, hes the QB, period.

Harbaugh spouts alot of crap at the media, and him leaving the door open to a "QB controversy" is just talk. If this team is ready to just dump their offensive leader for a hot young kid who had a great game, then they arent the kind of team thats ready to win a SB. Alex Smith has been there before, and proved last year against the Saints in the playoffs why he should be the QB of this team.

This was a momentary flash of brilliance by a young QB that has a bright future.
[ Edited by Niners99 on Nov 20, 2012 at 3:01 AM ]
Originally posted by mayo49:
Start Kap this Sunday and give Alex another week to mend, then decide on the starter going foward next week.

This. I posted something similar in the QB thread:

No reason to rush Alex back. Give him another week to try to shake this concussion off and give Kaep the start in NO, which also gives us the opportunity to see if Kaep can string strong performances together (an important thing to know if we are going to choose one over the other). If Kaep has another great game, we have a genuine QB controversy on our hands (unfortunately for Alex, if Joe freakin' Montana can lose his job to injury, Alex certainly can). If Kaep stumbles and Alex is cleared to play, you go back to Alex.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Straight from the horse's mouth. Interprete this statement however u want. There is a QB controversy brewing, montana vs young part deux

Kaepernick will continue to play until Smith is 100% ready to return. When Smith does return, its going to take another injury, or very poor play for him to lose his job. Smith has earned the right to keep his job until he proves he doesnt deserve it. He isnt going to get replaced because Kaep made his first career start and did well.

All this really means is Kaepernick might be alot farther along (and alot better) than most of us anticipated. He certainly backed up his potential with some results tonight.

Super Bowl contending teams dont make QB switches deep into a season just because one guy had a great game. If Smith is healthy, hes the QB, period.

Harbaugh spouts alot of crap at the media, and him leaving the door open to a "QB controversy" is just talk. If this team is ready to just dump their offensive leader for a hot young kid who had a great game, then they arent the kind of team thats ready to win a SB. Alex Smith has been there before, and proved last year against the Saints in the playoffs why he should be the QB of this team.

This was a momentary flash of brilliance by a young QB that has a bright future.

Excellent post.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Start Kap this Sunday and give Alex another week to mend, then decide on the starter going foward next week.

This. I posted something similar in the QB thread:

No reason to rush Alex back. Give him another week to try to shake this concussion off and give Kaep the start in NO, which also gives us the opportunity to see if Kaep can string strong performances together (an important thing to know if we are going to choose one over the other). If Kaep has another great game, we have a genuine QB controversy on our hands (unfortunately for Alex, if Joe freakin' Montana can lose his job to injury, Alex certainly can). If Kaep stumbles and Alex is cleared to play, you go back to Alex.

If Kaep gets hurt, I'd rather have Alex backing him up than Tolzien. This is why if Alex is medically cleared to play, he must be activated.
Alex has done nothing but win over the last season and a half...he's your guy. Has no one learned their lesson when it comes to jumping the gun on a young QB? Take advantage of our situation and let the vet play, with Kaep continually being groomed until we need him.

Flynn...Cassel....be careful....

I saw more "momentary flashes" in this one game than I have seen in the last ten years from the quarterback position.

Exactly. The Saints know Smith will 100% start (if cleared medically), but Harbaugh simply wants to give the Saints more to prepare for. Anyone with even ANY management experience, knows that, if Alex were cleared to play, but Harbaugh STILL went with Kap, it would be a HUGE blow to the trust built between Alex and the 9ers coaches and management. There is NO WAY the 9ers sit the 3rd-rated NFL passer with Alex's win-loss record over the last two years plus Alex's in-depth knowledge of the offense for a rookie with one (impressive) win under his belt...especially with Seattle just one-and-a-half wins behind us.

I'm as stoked as anyone about Kap as our starting QB in the near future, but let's temper our expectations. Remember how a bunch of us thought Troy Smith was the future after a game or two, but then teams did their scouting and made Troy Smith look like...well, Troy Smith. The book is still out on Kap, but, yes, what a heck of a performance last night!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian49er:
Alex has done nothing but win over the last season and a half...he's your guy. Has no one learned their lesson when it comes to jumping the gun on a young QB? Take advantage of our situation and let the vet play, with Kaep continually being groomed until we need him.

Yeah, I agree, but it's so damn tempting to start Kap. Alex has earned the starter role. Kap will get his chance again.
Originally posted by Canadian49er:

Brady...Rogers....be bold....
Originally posted by BrianGO:

I saw more "momentary flashes" in this one game than I have seen in the last ten years from the quarterback position.

Wanting to see consistency is a reasonable thing though, one game is great and I loved it but knowing that he can do it week in and week out is something else. That's why I think there is a case to be made to let Alex have more time and give Kaep the start.

I do understand the desire to have him be the backup...IF he has been cleared. He looked dazed on the sideline though, even before there were any scores on either side. Dude just didn't look right and I think this is a point where you can afford to let him take his time getting back and give Kaep a chance to show us everything he's capable of.

He's Harbaugh's Drafted Guy. He could have started him last year.
Way to go Weng Weng!
Wanting to see consistency is a reasonable thing though, one game is great and I loved it but knowing that he can do it week in and week out is something else. That's why I think there is a case to be made to let Alex have more time and give Kaep the start.

I do understand the desire to have him be the backup...IF he has been cleared. He looked dazed on the sideline though, even before there were any scores on either side. Dude just didn't look right and I think this is a point where you can afford to let him take his time getting back and give Kaep a chance to show us everything he's capable of.

But it's a catch 22. He has to play to demonstrate consistency. You say to let him play for a "few games", but how would he have to play to make a decision to put Smith back in? If we win, but he has a low QB rating, do we put Smith back in? If we lose, but he has a high QB rating, do we put Smith back in? It's too murky to decide over the course of a few games.
Kaep would have to be downright awful for him to be replaced after the game he just had against the Bears top rated defense. All Kaep has to do is play "par" and he will keep the job.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Will be interesting to hear Harbaugh's presser today.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

But it's a catch 22. He has to play to demonstrate consistency. You say to let him play for a "few games", but how would he have to play to make a decision to put Smith back in? If we win, but he has a low QB rating, do we put Smith back in? If we lose, but he has a high QB rating, do we put Smith back in? It's too murky to decide over the course of a few games.
Kaep would have to be downright awful for him to be replaced after the game he just had against the Bears top rated defense. All Kaep has to do is play "par" and he will keep the job.

I would suggest start him for one more game, see what he's capable of, and if Alex is fully healthy and capable after that, put Alex back in. I am assuming that this changes the expected dynamic for the offseason in which we see a straight up QB battle between the two; that before that we will know who the starter is and the other will be out. Giving Kaep another game on film (and assuming he does well, which I expect him to) would increase his trade value. His trade value has to be way higher than Alex's; if you have two QBs that are both capable, why not get something in return for one of them if you're going to lose one anyway?

If Kaep does simply stay the starter, and we continue to win, there isn't really a controversy. One thing I would like to avoid is a QB carousel bouncing from one guy to another Singletary-style...which is probably why Smith will be back at #1 on the depth chart sooner rather than later.
Share 49ersWebzone