There are 223 users in the forums

"We're gonna go with the hotter hand"

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
after his TD to Crabs, I told the wife "There is no way he's not our QB from here on out." The kid just showed so much promise, poise and confidence in the pocket. If you just look at his stats, you say "meh." Throw in the fact that it's his first NFL start against a GREAT bears D on MNF.........................WOW.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
Seriously though Alex looks good when he faces crap defenses or injured defenses. Whenever he gets up against a formidable opponent we get embarrassed. Keap when up against a foe that should have crushed him stood tall. Hi first effing start. Sorry but no chance I would bench him now. I am not going to hate on Smith but Keap has far too much proven talent to sit on a bench behind a mediocre QB. We got a real shot of having an elite signal caller here.

• vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BayArea:
Seriously though Alex looks good when he faces crap defenses or injured defenses. Whenever he gets up against a formidable opponent we get embarrassed.

Sorry you missed the game three weeks ago when Alex went on the road and shredded a top 5 pass defense. Hopefully you can catch it on the internet.

18/19 232 yards 3 TD/0 INT against a D that just picked off Matt Ryan 5 times and ranks 2nd in QB rating allowed.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
after his TD to Crabs, I told the wife "There is no way he's not our QB from here on out." The kid just showed so much promise, poise and confidence in the pocket. If you just look at his stats, you say "meh." Throw in the fact that it's his first NFL start against a GREAT bears D on MNF.........................WOW.
This. Plus it seemed to me that JH went conservative with CK once the game looked like it was in hand. I have no doubt CK would have thrown 300+ if the game was closer. Da Bears were never in it after the 1st Q.

He reminded me a bit of Kurt Warner in his prime. I remember one game when he was with the Rams where his accuracy was unreal. I remember thinking how can anyone beat a QB who throws strikes all the time. Don't flame. I realize it was only one game but CK was outstanding. Let him play. I'd like to see more.
Originally posted by cashmahne:
Last 2 games... roughly equal playing time...

Passing:
Alex Smith: 25 for 27, 304 yards, 4 TD, 0 INT
Colin Kaepernick: 27 of 40, 360 yards, 2 TD, 0 INT

Rushing:
Alex Smith: 3 rush, 11 yards
Colin Kaepernick: 8 rush, 88 yards, 1 TD

I like Alex Smith as much as anyone. But I feel like Kaep gives the Niners the chance to be explosive. And if he does well... with a great defense... good game NFL

I'm not fighting for either guy, I will allow Harbaugh to make the decision, but the stats you lay out point towards Smith if you ask me. I will take 93% completion percentage all day over some rushing yards.
Originally posted by dmax:
Plain and simple..play kaep untill alex is 100% healthy...damn, why is this so
Hard to grasp

Except everyone and their mamma will know Alex was ready to go and we played Kaep anyways. It's just lying to yourself.
Hypothetically, let say AS stunk it up againts the Saints and go 13 for 27 w/ 1 TD and 2INTS and we lose by 20 pts, is it time to pull the trigger and start CK7 against the RAMS? I'm pretty sure all the fanboys will claim concussion residual effects as an excuse but we're in a SB or bust mode, no time for fooling around. Otoh, if smith play great, it is his job to lose rest of year
Kap looked very very very good!!!!!!! One thing that he have that Alex don't have (hands down) is a deep accurate ball!!! I was so ampt up that I couldn't sleep at all last night!!!!! Got damn killa Kap
Originally posted by Shanghai69er:
Exactly. The Saints know Smith will 100% start (if cleared medically), but Harbaugh simply wants to give the Saints more to prepare for. Anyone with even ANY management experience, knows that, if Alex were cleared to play, but Harbaugh STILL went with Kap, it would be a HUGE blow to the trust built between Alex and the 9ers coaches and management. There is NO WAY the 9ers sit the 3rd-rated NFL passer with Alex's win-loss record over the last two years plus Alex's in-depth knowledge of the offense for a rookie with one (impressive) win under his belt...especially with Seattle just one-and-a-half wins behind us.

I'm as stoked as anyone about Kap as our starting QB in the near future, but let's temper our expectations. Remember how a bunch of us thought Troy Smith was the future after a game or two, but then teams did their scouting and made Troy Smith look like...well, Troy Smith. The book is still out on Kap, but, yes, what a heck of a performance last night!!!

Definitely agree with this on the Troy Smith part. Didn't we start that season with Shaun Hill, after that one horrible game at half time, Alex came in? Then the rest of the season bounced between roll out to the right Troy Smith and back to Alex. What a mess.

Alex should play if he's healthy in my mind. He's had some rough games, but you can't lay the blame on him entirely especially in the loses where the majority of the team wasn't playing as a whole. Last night you had our defense playing top notch and special teams doing a pretty good job which we hadn't seen in a few weeks.
Originally posted by vaden:
Sorry you missed the game three weeks ago when Alex went on the road and shredded a top 5 pass defense. Hopefully you can catch it on the internet.

18/19 232 yards 3 TD/0 INT against a D that just picked off Matt Ryan 5 times and ranks 2nd in QB rating allowed.

A lot of his passes were dink and dunk varieties. Not to take anything away from him but even my grandma could make those throws
[ Edited by tony2cool4u2k1 on Nov 20, 2012 at 6:05 AM ]

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Poor Alex, if it isn't one thing it's another.
It just seems like the game slows down with CK in the match-up. He looks effortless but not perfect. This isn't beer-goggle time for CK. He has much to learn but the potential is there.
Riddle me this: How many sacks AS would've taken that CK7 didn't in this game? I counted at least 3. Alex gets flustered way too easily and he often break off a play once his primary read is cover. The Giants game is a perfect example and we KNOW we'll see that kind of defense againt in the playoffs. If AS is starting, at least let KAP play in 40% of the package to keep them honest. It's only going to benefit us.
Originally posted by leebert81:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
This. Plus it seemed to me that JH went conservative with CK once the game looked like it was in hand. I have no doubt CK would have thrown 300+ if the game was closer. Da Bears were never in it after the 1st Q.

He reminded me a bit of Kurt Warner in his prime. I remember one game when he was with the Rams where his accuracy was unreal. I remember thinking how can anyone beat a QB who throws strikes all the time. Don't flame. I realize it was only one game but CK was outstanding. Let him play. I'd like to see more.

Harbaugh see's both of these players in practice as well. He knows what he has. He has to play the best player, period.
I honestly think JH just got caught in the moment with the "hotter hand" thing. And I bet JH is gonna spend a good deal of time with CK and Alex Smith - and the press - to clearify that Alex is the starter. I really don't expect JH is gonna start CK after on good game. CK is the future for sure, and we clearly see why we moved up to draft him. But it's one good game folks, nothing more. I guarantee you that JH wishes he could take that back.
Share 49ersWebzone