LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 210 users in the forums

Willis uninspired or hurt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Originally posted by rxrunner:
lets cut him so we dont see these threads again.

What just cause he's been great he can be criticize for being "rusty" in the rams game as he said himself?
i would to know just what the hell he means by rusty over halfway through the season??
Originally posted by cciowa:
he put us in a position to win not once but twice,, not sure what more you want from the kid. i think you are spot on about the defense and i know posters are ultra protective when it comes to willis but you people saw that defense and i am sorry, but not even the great willis is immune in my opinion

The troll came in here to make a trolling post cause of CK. If you didn't know...
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
3rd quarter:

First rams drive willis sheds a block with ease and pulls down jackson for a 3 yard gain. He's out in what looks like a man coverage safety blitz on jackson's 6 yard pickup. He's engaged with the TE and they still have a lineman coming over to help.

Second Drive is where the majority of his criticism's are coming. He comes in on a pretty weak blitz after being lined up outside, Bradford spots it and gets rid of the ball quick, but he was pretty ineffective here. A couple plays later the niners are running what looks like the 3-4 doppleganger of the tampa 2. Willis drops back 10 yards on snap and jackson takes a short pass right at him. Willis squares up pretty well, but jackson comes in with a head of steam and gets a little lower than willis. He's pushed back about a yard before an o-lineman comes in to push the pile. Nothing fancy, but the play deserves the criticism its getting. This drive is a roller coaster for him, he makes some nice plays in the backfield, and is great in coverage, but he's now showing signs of fatigue. It may be from the constant barrage of blockers his way, or the fact that he's running in coverage so often, but this has been his roughest quarter yet.
So when is Willis the most effective in his play? When he can run free to the ball and make plays. How does that happen? It happens when the guys up front do their job keeping offensive lineman tied up at the line of scrimmage. If there is anyone to blame besides Willis, it is Soap, Smith and McDonald. This is a team game and the whole defense got handled by the Rams. In case you didn't know this, the Rams are professionals too and can beat another NFL team on any given Sunday. This silly finger pointing at our best player is lazy at best.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
So when is Willis the most effective in his play? When he can run free to the ball and make plays. How does that happen? It happens when the guys up front do their job keeping offensive lineman tied up at the line of scrimmage. If there is anyone to blame besides Willis, it is Soap, Smith and McDonald. This is a team game and the whole defense got handled by the Rams. In case you didn't know this, the Rams are professionals too and can beat another NFL team on any given Sunday. This silly finger pointing at our best player is lazy at best.

I think you guys hammering the poster aren't really getting the message. I don't think he's blaming Willis, just remarking on his subpar (for him) recent play. I've also noticed that he doesn't quite seem himself, but I haven't analyzed it as some have. We'll have to see how the remaining games play out.
P. Willy is definitely not 100%. Ive seen him plow through Steven Jackson in previous years, on Sunday Jackson was a madman. Constantly carrying multiple defenders on his back while running for extra yardage. NO ONE including P. Willy could take him down solo, I even saw Bowman get bumrushed by Jackson. It was a terrible tackling performance for our highly touted defense.
Mr. Truth....another classic example of undervaluing our AllPro players who have proved themselves for years, yet overvaluing our non-All Pro players who haven't.

but I'm not surprised.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Throughout the 4th quarter and OT, he shed's most blocks coming his way. He doesnt break on a checkdown to jackson quick enough, and it goes for about 12 yards on a diving missed tackle by willlis, but outside of that he's playing pretty well. He holds cutback lanes when the run is going away from him and drives the RB's inside on all but one play throughout the rest of the game. I never see him being lazy or quitting on any plays. I've rewatched the game, though in haste, i'll admit. Maybe if you can pinpoint where your finding him not being himself or giving up, your arguement would hold a little more water. I'm not saying he had a great game, everyone had their hickups. But the doom and gloom posts seem to be knee-jerk reactions.

Willis is absolutely more involved in coverage than bowman, thats not an excuse, its a fact. He'll line up outside the box when a TE splits off, he was even over top of Amendola on one play. He's playing smart football, and if he's ailing from something physically, he's hardly showing it. Nobody takes on stephen jackson full speed, if we dont slow the guy down early, he'll run over just about anyone.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:

+1
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Willis looked uninspired or hurt, undisclosed injury, in this game vs the rams. Steven Jackson had 101 yds 1TD and Daryl Richardson 58 more. Willis was just standing around and not running to the ball and tackling on most running plays.

I think there is a possibility he could be hurt. The game before the BYE Week, he was a little shaken on a few plays. I don't think he's 100%.

Niether, he just sucks.....
Willis WILL NOT have two bad games in a row. Dude has too much pride and is too much of a beast. We'll call it a bye week hangover.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
this thread is just crazy

the reason him or Bowman didnt play well is because the dline was being shoved around. The dline has to keep the OL off the ILBs or its hard for them to do their jobs.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Willis WILL NOT have two bad games in a row. Dude has too much pride and is too much of a beast. We'll call it a bye week hangover.

And to be fair, between the Seahawks game and Rams game, they've only had one game in a 23-day span (Cardinals). Willis admitted in the after-game interview that their defense was rusty against the Rams.

Granted, that's no excuse for not being prepared enough to win, but it certainly gives them the motivation to come out guns blazing over the next few weeks. If anything, this tie has showed them that they're not going to steamroll the division and have it wrapped up as early as they did last year, which I think will make them play much more competitively if they feel like someone's constantly nipping at their heels.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
trade him nao
Share 49ersWebzone