There are 259 users in the forums

Willis uninspired or hurt?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's still good. Not sure what you are watching. Maybe I need to quit Niner Talk....
Most of you probably didnt realize it, but that holding penalty he committed late in the game when he got beat in coverage was only his 3rd career penalty.
Originally posted by Psinex:

Willis has been asked to drop back into coverage more and more often. So when he's "standing around" in the center of the field, he's in man coverage on the tight end or running back to make sure they don't slip out for a late screen or quick strike.

lol all these excuses to cover up what happen just cause every one thinks Willis makes no mistake when in fact yes it isn't hard to just tackle a ball carrier as one of the best MLB in the game...

Watch the game over again. 80%+ of the time in that game when the ball is already thrown or hand off to a ball carrier, Willis either did not shed block to get to the ball carrier or when he was free, jogged or walked to the ball carrier and didn't speed up or rush to the ball carrier to make a tackle like usual.

He was "rusty" or w/e excuse he wanted to use in that game. He came off of the bye week lazy and didn't give the 49ers the best chance to win on defense in that game.

Note: Consider the fact, he just recently married, which I didn't previously know before I made the thread, most likely it's cause too much fun time in bed... Hope he learned his lesson and get back on track here on... Cause that performance on defense by Willis was worse than CK coming off the bench for this lousy tie.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 13, 2012 at 5:40 AM ]
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
First quarter defense review:

Rams run multiple downfield blocking packages, at times double teaming him, to take him out of the run game. Jackson's 10 run on the first drive, Willis was driven back by the center and Sopoaga was absolutely trucked by the back up tight end. He holds his ground and is in pursuit for every other play in the quarter. I dont see any glaring issues with his play yet, he's an all-star and being treated like by the rams coaching scheme.

Sopoaga is exposed often, though I love him to death, he seems to be playing too low. The guards/center bump him as they get to the 2nd level, and he's getting off balance. A FB/TE will then come in and remove him completely from the play. He barely commanded a single blocker, let alone 2. I'll still do a haka for him, but this just wasnt his quarter.

Bowman is also having a rough quarter. He's not drawing the attention that Willis is and taking too sharp of angles in pursuit. On the 37 yard run by richardson, he pretty much trips over McDonald (who seems to be getting held on the play, look for the hook on his right arm). Brooks is already upfield, so Bowman should be the man responsible for outside contain. Also, on the 2nd drive, Amendola completely shakes Brown and Bowman again comes in too sharp only to get burnt to the sideline.

To me, Willis seems to be playing fairly stout, no sign of fatigue yet. Bowman, Sopoaga, and Culliver are all having a tough time. Brown gets shook by Amendola once. Carlos Rogers is having a good game at this point.
Originally posted by Ruhl:
First quarter defense review:

Sopoaga was absolutely trucked by the back up tight end.
Sopoaga is exposed often, though I love him to death, he seems to be playing too low.
Bowman is also having a rough quarter.
McDonald (who seems to be getting held on the play, look for the hook on his right arm).
Brooks is already upfield, so Bowman should be the man responsible for outside contain. Also, on the 2nd drive, Amendola completely shakes Brown and Bowman again comes in too sharp only to get burnt to the sideline.

Bowman, Sopoaga, and Culliver are all having a tough time. Brown gets shook by Amendola once.
Carlos Rogers is having a good game at this point.

This thread is about Willis's tackling and play through the whole game. Not about this OTHER player that OTHER player etc etc...
Next time understand the topic of the thread and stick to the topic before posting so you're not wasting other people's time. Thanks.
Originally posted by Goldblooded49:
Originally posted by Psinex:

Ok dudes,

I know everyone remembers Willis at his best getting a dozen tackles a game, but in case you haven't been following the evolution of the defense and his role for the past two years, Willis has been asked to drop back into coverage more and more often. So when he's "standing around" in the center of the field, he's in man coverage on the tight end or running back to make sure they don't slip out for a late screen or quick strike.

Since Bowman has inherited the role of "The Tackling Machine", Willis' responsibilities have gotten more complex. Before the St. Louis game, we had the 2nd best passing defense in the league. I think you can credit Dashon Goldson and Patrick Willis for the secondary's improved play, along with Perrish Cox as the 4th DB (big upgrade over Tremaine Brock). I'm sure if you put Willis back in his old role, he would excel. But that's not where we need him, not with the emergence of tight ends in the modern offensive game.

Capiche?

Preach on brother that's the samething I was saying check out my last post. I like real fans with real facts.

I don't care about the tackle totals, but I do care about seeing him get and stay blocked, and seeing him miss tackles and/or get drug for yards after contact. I'm not saying that rarely happens to LBs, but it doesn't normally happen to Willis. We have all seen an OG get a free release on Willis, only to see Pat pop him in the mouth and drive him back into the RB. Not so much this year, and definitely not this game. Willis normally does a great job of pumping his legs like pistons after the hit, dropping his man with no foward momentum or yards after contact. That happened once against the Rams, and he was the second man to the tackle. He is still playing well this year, but he is not the intimidating, dominant force that he has been in past years. I would LOVE to see him own Forte and shut me up though, as he and Cowboy (also less dominant physically this year, as he has not gone "bull in a china shop" on many helpless OL this year) have been my favorite 49ers for years.
lets cut him so we dont see these threads again.
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Second quarter review:

Wow this is more like it, defense is looking good in general. Hard to complain about much. Only good run of the half is when Willis comes in on a blitz and gets clipped to the side by the RG, but bowman closes the gap pretty quick and they only get 6 yards from it.

Lance kendricks exposes our zone for the 2nd time. First quarter he gets deep between the linebacks and goldson for a 17 yard pickup. This quarter Brooks comes in on an inside stunt and leaves the flat wide open. I'm assuming this was Bowman's zone, or just a gap in the play call. Bowman sticks with the middle of the field and Kendricks gets an easy 12.

We had a tough call on the fake punt, with cully (i think) coming in for the block, and perrish cox having to run from the middle of the field for coverage on the open man.

Pretty good half. Still not seeing any quit from anyone on the team, definitely not Willis
  • Ruhl
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MrTruth:
This thread is about Willis's tackling and play through the whole game. Not about this OTHER player that OTHER player etc etc...
Next time understand the topic of the thread and stick to the topic before posting so you're not wasting other people's time. Thanks.

Team game, just trying to put everything into perspective
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ruhl:

Team game, just trying to put everything into perspective
there is no excuse, zero for that horses**t defense and special teams we saw sunday, zero

Pretty much the worst thread I have ever seen truly uninspired.
Originally posted by rxrunner:
lets cut him so we dont see these threads again.

What just cause he's been great he can be criticize for being "rusty" in the rams game as he said himself?
Originally posted by cciowa:
there is no excuse, zero for that horses**t defense and special teams we saw sunday, zero

this
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

It wasn't just Willis's lousy run D play, CK wasn't that great either...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by nevadalove9ers2:

It wasn't just Willis's lousy run D play, CK wasn't that great either...
he put us in a position to win not once but twice,, not sure what more you want from the kid. i think you are spot on about the defense and i know posters are ultra protective when it comes to willis but you people saw that defense and i am sorry, but not even the great willis is immune in my opinion
Share 49ersWebzone