There are 191 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Nes49:
Why does his opinion matter so much?

Last bastion of hope, reason, denial, and or absurdity depending on your perspective???
Originally posted by WildBill:
AS had a great game in those two which is not easy against any NFL team, but you still need to consider the context-it was against the Bills and the Cards. As long as the running game is functioning above board Alex can do his job. This year, when it isn't, he struggles.

I liked your long post overall.... but was a bit on the bolded here..

Against the Vikes and Giants, our run game was pretty well functioning. Just odd that Roman got cute and stopped running the ball more in the 2nd half.
How the f*ck this became another AS thread, we'll never know...

Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Here's another anti Smith article. Dont know why the media hates him so much.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/20760533/tenpoint-stance-49ers-not-contenders-as-long-as-smith-dinks-and-dunks

Here at the Ten Point Stance headquarters, we don't like to put a damper on a good story. We don't like to poop on parades. But all of this Alex Smith smooching, this sudden urge to declare him as the 21st century Steve Young, is absolutely over-the-top ridiculous and driving us bonkers.

Smith is a game manager, and in today's NFL, game manager is a four-letter word. This is the harsh truth: The 49ers are managing Smith, containing him, putting him in a protective bubble of dinks and dunks, because they know that if they open up the offense like, say, the way the great teams with the elite quarterbacks do, Smith would implode like a dead star.

You're a hater, Mike. You just don't want to give Smith credit. Shut up. Go root for Tim Tebow.

No, Smith is a nice person, and a class act. He just isn't an elite quarterback and I'm not going to allow Jim Harbaugh or anyone else to bully me into believing so.

But Mike! He was 18 of 19 against Arizona!

His passes averaged just over five yards. Five. Yards. This is not elite-ness. This is petite-ness. The 49ers are playing small ball and that can work against scrubs like the Cardinals, but the reason San Francisco has difficulty sometimes against the true elite like the Giants is because New York has a real quarterback who can sling the ball anywhere on the field with great accuracy. And the Giants allow him to.

Look at the great throwers in football. Eli Manning doesn't game manage. Drew Brees doesn't game-manage. Tom Brady? Nope. Peyton ... no manage-y game-y. The great ones are ballers. They throw it everywhere, because they have the confidence and accuracy to do it.

Mike, you're full of gobble gobble turkey.

No, this is the truth, and I'm not sure what coach Jim Harbaugh even meant by "gobble gobble turkey." There is no great thrower today that runs an offense the way Smith does. There is no great thrower in history that runs an offense the way Smith does. Not one.

This fact will bite the 49ers in the ass when the playoffs hit and San Francisco starts playing the league's better teams. You'll say the 49ers did just fine in the playoffs last year but they lost to New York in the conference title game. Close contest, sure. Freak happenings in the game, sure. But they still lost.

And the Giants spanked the 49ers' rears this season with, again, Manning tossing the ball all over the field.

The Giants' Super Bowl wins against the Patriots happened because the Giants weren't afraid. They play aggressive football in a league set up to reward aggressors, not the dink-and-dunkers.

Again, love what the 49ers have done to rebuild this franchise. Like Harbaugh a lot (even though he's sometimes a bully) and having the 49ers good again is great for the NFL.

Yet anyone that believes the 49ers can game-manage their way to a Super Bowl title, I have some gobble gobble turkey for you.

2. There has been extensive communications between teams as the trade deadline approaches. One personnel man said the trade talk has been extensive but, as usual, teams are afraid to make major deals. Unlike baseball or the NBA, pro football franchises despise trades, mainly because the salary cap makes them difficult.

There is another, more subtle reason. The ego factor among NFL personnel types is much larger than in other sports. They hate to admit mistakes and trading a player you drafted or acquired through free agency is an admission a mistake was made.

One last thing. The Carolina Panthers have fielded a number of calls about wide receiver Steve Smith (as first reported by Fox Sports). The response Carolina gave one team is interesting, with the Panthers saying that Smith remains as good as any receiver in football and -- this is really interesting -- has been the most stabilizing force in the locker room this season. Not one of. Not second or third. But the most. Period.
I actually had to check to see if this was a legitimate story, lol. It comes off as so ridiculous, much like some of the haters here.
So.... Should this thread just be merged with the other AS thread cuz I don't see any discussion of the actual request by the OP!!!

Originally posted by kidash98:

I would still like to hear opinions on how our offense can become more explosive this season. That's the one critique Cossell had.
So.... Should this thread just be merged with the other AS thread cuz I don't see any discussion of the actual request by the OP!!!

I'm surprised it took this long for it to even be thought about. I was expecting the merge around page 1.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
just lock it, that thread is already long enough

Amazingly the kaep thread is longer.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:

Amazingly the kaep thread is longer.

thats cuz the alex one is has been restarted 50 billion times.

thats cuz the alex one is has been restarted 50 billion times.

#truth

If Alex is the Phoenix, his thread is the Hydra.
[ Edited by Jakemall on Nov 1, 2012 at 4:50 PM ]
Alex played a game which Walsh would apporoved. He made good decisions good throws, let his receivers make plays by delivering the ball on time and on place.

The placement was good not many high throws were they weren't neccesary.

Yes he needs more consitency, but the really bad games followed by a long strech of mediocre ones are gone. He now has bad plays and here an there mediocre games, the most of the games are good and solid. A far cry from what used to be.

Let's just hope that he will be able to have multiple great games by a few solid ones here an there,
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks

Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

It doesnt matter how far the passes were. This is the National Football League where the best defensive players in the world play. And the Cardinals were top-notch in defending the pass. So Alex did what he had to do: He progressed through his reads well and got everything he wanted in the game but once.

Im not Alex's biggest fan, but he played lights-out in all phases. He didnt force anything like he did a few games ago. (Remember?) Thats what you want in your quarterback more than anything: accuracy, anticipation, and great decision making. Alex had all that to the finest.

I expect you of all people on here to know that business was handled on Monday Night by our qb.

, right?
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Alex played a game which Walsh would apporoved. He made good decisions good throws, let his receivers make plays by delivering the ball on time and on place.

The placement was good not many high throws were they weren't neccesary.

Yes he needs more consitency, but the really bad games followed by a long strech of mediocre ones are gone. He now has bad plays and here an there mediocre games, the most of the games are good and solid. A far cry from what used to be.

Let's just hope that he will be able to have multiple great games by a few solid ones here an there,

Every team has a weakness..Ours is clear. If a balanced team can get ahead by two scores and force us to go downfield we are in trouble. Fortunately there are only a few that can do what the Giants did. Unfortunately they are going to be in the playoffs..ie Atlanta, Houston, Giants...

Share 49ersWebzone