There are 53 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Don't mess up a good story with truth.

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...

Smith doesn't do this either.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
what is the big deal with short passes,, you pick up ten yards a time at least, you move the chains, you get first downs, you chew up the clock, you keep your defense rested, you keep the other team off the field,, maybe you get lucky and you get some yards after the catch, you move down field , you do not get stupid and change quarterbacks, you get some points,. not sure what the problem is. gobble gobble

Um, didn't Cool Joe do that? Let me see.... Mmmmmmm.... MNF.... Throw 5 yards in a cloud of dust, twice, to John Taylor? For +90 yard scores?

Eh, It happens...
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by cciowa:
what is the big deal with short passes,, you pick up ten yards a time at least, you move the chains, you get first downs, you chew up the clock, you keep your defense rested, you keep the other team off the field,, maybe you get lucky and you get some yards after the catch, you move down field , you do not get stupid and change quarterbacks, you get some points,. not sure what the problem is. gobble gobble

Um, didn't Cool Joe do that? Let me see.... Mmmmmmm.... MNF.... Throw 5 yards in a cloud of dust, twice, to John Taylor? For +90 yard scores?

Eh, It happens...

Yah! A 5 yard slant and a 5 yard quick out.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for mustangmele.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I never heard so much piss-ant whinnng about winning.

If we have to dink & dunk to win SO WHAT!

Winning is the most important thing.

Totally Agree. But its so annoying the stories these Alex haters create in their head and spread it around like it's true.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Don't mess up a good story with truth.

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...

I beg to differ.

Brady throws a TON of short passes. His average yard per ATTEMPT is 7.53 this season and 7.51 for his career. Alex is at 7.94 on the season.

Wes Welker has a CAREER Average per catch of 11.2. Do you think he catches long passes and then runs backwards?
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Don't mess up a good story with truth.

Ya, Brady throws most of his passes short as well, but don't tell anyone because that would mess up the "Captain Checkdown" story.

This is where averages and stats are misleading, because watching other games...Those QBs mentioned are not throwing less then 5 every attempt...

Smith doesn't do this either.
Then what does this top 5 at 5 mean?
Cossell is more knowledgable than anyone on this board and has probably watched more collective hours of film than some posters have been alive. Not only has he watched more film, he watches a diversity of teams on film. Dude gets paid big bucks for a reason.


Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Nov 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM ]
Oh noes, someone's opinion differs from mine....

BURN THEM ALIVE!!.
Were in the f**king WCO....

Short passes and YAC are the bread and butter of this offense. Plus the running game.

I will say that throughout the first 8 games of the season, the offense has shown its explosive potential.

Moss has shown his big play ability in his limited time on the field, we know Davis can do it, we know Manningham can do it and Crabtree is just a beast at the underneath stuff. s**t, even guys like Williams and Walker can get deep and make plays.

This second half of the season should be good. Lets wait and see what happens.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Cossell is more knowledgable than anyone on this board and has probably watched more collective hours of film than some posters have been alive. Not only has he watched more film, he watches a diversity of teams on film. Dude gets paid big bucks for a reason.


Nice write up. Thanks for sharing.

I have all the respect in the world for him. I disagree with some of the things he says, but I do respect him.

An example of what I disagree with? He said a few weeks ago that bringing Kaep into games was a sign that they didn't think they could generate offense so needed to "trick" the other team and only teams who can't play straight up do that. He attibuted that to a lack of confidense in Alex.

Thats straight BUNK. They use trickery and misdirection in ALL facets of their offense...fake reverses, lining up Frank at FB and then giving him the ball, passing to Linemen, unbalanced lines....

Cossell always thinks what they do is an indictment on Alex. The problem is that they did the EXACT SAME STUFF AT STANFORD WITH ANDREW LUCK.
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks


Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Were in the f**king WCO....

Short passes and YAC are the bread and butter of this offense. Plus the running game.

I will say that throughout the first 8 games of the season, the offense has shown its explosive potential.

Moss has shown his big play ability in his limited time on the field, we know Davis can do it, we know Manningham can do it and Crabtree is just a beast at the underneath stuff. s**t, even guys like Williams and Walker can get deep and make plays.

This second half of the season should be good. Lets wait and see what happens.

Correct. the 49ers "dinked and dunked" to FIVE SB CHampionships. Peeps said the same stuff then too.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Oh noes, someone's opinion differs from mine....

BURN THEM ALIVE!!.

haha... not even strong opinions, most likely... it's just this week's flavor of WZ entertainment for many..

Originally posted by nickbradley:
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Do some of you guys realize Alex is in the TOP 5 FOR YARDS PER ATTEMPT (YPA)?


Go look it up on NFL.com. He's over Brady, Matt Ryan, Eli Manning, Drew Brees, Joe Flaco, Aaron Rodgers.

I bet half of you didn't know that because all you do is fault find and complain that Alex Smith is the same QB he was 5 years ago. For a guy who throws nothing but check downs he sure is slinging it

Stop looking at total yards and comparing that to his productivity. We're a running team and built for it. It has nothing to do with Alex.

Tied in Air Yards per attempt.

Where did you find that? I can't see it.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by NinerGod:
I like Greg Cossell.

do you like like him?