There are 160 users in the forums

Weekly Greg Cossell Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
This is the West Coast Offense which is primarily short passes. Doesn't seem like to much of an expert.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Well maybe some are like that but Im not. Before every game I always post I hope he has a great game. I dont care about being right I just care about my team winning and looking good every week. I have my personal opinion of him as a player but in no way do I wish he does poorly.

That's why I like you. You realize that it's your opinion, and as such, that it may not have anything to do with reality.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Well maybe some are like that but Im not. Before every game I always post I hope he has a great game. I dont care about being right I just care about my team winning and looking good every week. I have my personal opinion of him as a player but in no way do I wish he does poorly.

That's why I like you. You realize that it's your opinion, and as such, that it may not have anything to do with reality.

Lol, yah it may be so.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks

Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

The thing is that the tackling was horrible for the Cards. The Niners WR won't be running free against teams that tackle like the Giants. What happens next is these short throws won't be 1st downs and it will leave the NIners offense always having to deal with 3rd down situations. Converting 3rd downs was a weakness for Alex last year.
Originally posted by mustangmele:
Click on the link or just go to NFL.com > Scores & Stats > Stats Home > Under the QB section select "complete list" and start organizing.

I see all the other stats...but not that one.
A couple of those 20yarders were on 2nd&15 and 2nd&2, but who cares...
Originally posted by dwy621:
The thing is that the tackling was horrible for the Cards. The Niners WR won't be running free against teams that tackle like the Giants. What happens next is these short throws won't be 1st downs and it will leave the NIners offense always having to deal with 3rd down situations. Converting 3rd downs was a weakness for Alex last year.

We were lucky with all the yac for that game. Typically speaking we don't get anything like it. Someone mentioned earlier that Alex leads the league in airyards per attempt...that's because most of his yards are his yards. We do not have a single player on our team that breaks into the top 50 in terms of yac per attempt.

With that said, I think part of the problem AZ had was they were busy defending the run and the deep pass that they didn't have anyone to help make tackles in the short to medium range. It makes it a lot easier to get your 1 on 1 tackles when having another defensive body near you prevents the WR from making a move. Fewer angles you have to be prepared for.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I never heard so much piss-ant whinnng about winning.

If we have to dink & dunk to win SO WHAT!

Winning is the most important thing.

No one seemed to mind when it was Joe Montana doing it...just saying, though most of the whiners were probably too young to remember seeing Joe play.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

No one seemed to mind when it was Joe Montana doing it...just saying, though most of the whiners were probably too young to remember seeing Joe play.

People forget how bad Joe would look at times. He just seemed to turn it around at the end of games or when it was in the play-offs. Hence the whole "Joe Cool". No matter how bad things were going, you couldn't count him out or he would carve you up.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Cossell always calls it like he sees it. thanks

Also puts the 18-19 in perspective when you're only throwing 5 yard passes.

Right...because no QB in the history of football has ever thrown 19 short passes in a game. Never happens. Alex was the first guy to try it and thats why HE did something nobody has ever done in the history of football.

You're right. That makes perfect sense.

when did I say no qb has ever done that ?

YOU didn't. People keep making this "short passes" argument. Who the hell cares? Nobody has ever done it before. EVER. Regardless of the length of the passes in the air, IT'S NEVER BEEN DONE.

The guy had a freakin' 157+ QB rating on the night. I have no clue why peeps are so determined to make it look like it's NOT an accomplishment. People are so radically against Alex that they become completely irrational.

If Brady or Brees or Rogers had broken this record in exactly the same way the media would be singing his praises and wouldn't say a freakin WORD about dink and dunk. Its about people PERCEPTION of Alex and that's it.

I'm on the Marvin49 bandwagon.
Looks like McLovin is under it,lol

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

People forget how bad Joe would look at times. He just seemed to turn it around at the end of games or when it was in the play-offs. Hence the whole "Joe Cool". No matter how bad things were going, you couldn't count him out or he would carve you up.

This is where you guys lose credibility when you try to compare Joe Montana with Alex Smith.

This is where you guys lose credibility when you try to compare Joe Montana with Alex Smith.

This ^

I remember Montana throwing long bombs hitting WRs in stride plenty of times. Alex, not so much.

Not every game of Joe is like the '89 playoff and SB. There were quite a few where he and the offense struggled to get anything going. I remember a couple of MNF games against the Giants. Those are usually a defensive struggle and our offense seems to slow down quite a bit. Also against the Saints defense. Philly.
If it is so easy to dink and dunk for 18-19 and 3 TDs, why doesn't every journeyman QB do it? And often?

No one seems to have an answer for these questions.

Where did Alex come up in my comment? What I am saying is that the margin between the good and the great qbs is a lot smaller than people make out here. The biggest difference that I see between Alex and Joe is that Joe could look bad an entire game and then in the 3rd or 4th qtr forget how bad he had been and play lights out.

Nothing wrong with comparing Alex to Joe, imo. In fact, I'd argue that Joe is the golden standard by which qbs should be measured. I'm just saying the margin between a good qb and a great qb is a fine line. People act like it is a world of difference. It's not...it's a game of inches.

Right now Alex doesn't stack up too badly. Need to see him keep performing at this level...that's the real test. But no question that if the game is on the line, which qb I chose.
Share 49ersWebzone