There are 78 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

I believe both Alex and Kaepernick have 2 years left on their current contracts. Let them compete next offseason, which Alex will likely win, then the last year of their contracts let Kaepernick take over. Simple as that. Kaepernick, quite frankly, could be ready by next year. Who knows...
Keep them both, and have an open QB competition every training camp.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is the first year of his 3 year contract. Next year would be his 2nd year. 2014 season would be his last year. Not next year.

Colin needs to hit the playbook more. We all know that he can throw it when the first option is open, but does[B] he know enough to recognized the 2nd or 3rd option.[/B}Or just run out of the pocket and improv. I think he's serviceable if there's an injury, but to be a full time starter he needs to be more than 1 and done qb read in the pocket.

heck...ALEX SMITH can't even find his end and 2nd or 3rd option!
Originally posted by scarletandgold:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is the first year of his 3 year contract. Next year would be his 2nd year. 2014 season would be his last year. Not next year.

Colin needs to hit the playbook more. We all know that he can throw it when the first option is open, but does[B] he know enough to recognized the 2nd or 3rd option.[/B}Or just run out of the pocket and improv. I think he's serviceable if there's an injury, but to be a full time starter he needs to be more than 1 and done qb read in the pocket.

Heck, alex cant even hit his 1st wide open read sometimes and checks down, let alone 2nd or 3rd option.

Steve Young once said it, in the nfl when a wr is one on one with the db, for steve young hes considered open.
Brent Jones related a very famous story about Steve Young when he wasn't playing

Steve had millions in uncashed checks in his drawer in his sock

Young felt ashamed at cashing them because he hadn't earned them.

This was like '88 or '89 and Young was like 30 years old. Well before he became the starter.

When Kaep is THAT hungry (other than tweeting about "working out") then you can make a thread about it

The kid is 22, from a gimmicky pistol offense. He can learn a lot from watching. His time will come, if he is worthy.
I see a physical likeness between CK and Marcus Mariota of Oregon. Both are tall and very fast. Mariota has nice touch on the ball, redshirt freshman.
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Brent Jones related a very famous story about Steve Young when he wasn't playing

Steve had millions in uncashed checks in his drawer in his sock

Young felt ashamed at cashing them because he hadn't earned them.

This was like '88 or '89 and Young was like 30 years old. Well before he became the starter.

When Kaep is THAT hungry (other than tweeting about "working out") then you can make a thread about it

The kid is 22, from a gimmicky pistol offense. He can learn a lot from watching. His time will come, if he is worthy.

yeah they finally made him cash the checks cause he was throwing off the books
Kaep is young and we can all agree that he hasn't reached his full potential. But as a Niner fan, I want him on the roster. From what I've seen, he has great physical attributes, inculding a cannon arm, a quick release, and terrific speed and mobility.

I'd take Kaep over QB's who are starting right now (Sanchez/Tebow, Gabbert, Skelton/Kolb, Cassel/Quinn and even Carson Palmer).

He's probably got 2 or 3 years left on his rookie deal. He'll continue to grow into the system and eventually may become too talented to keep on the sidelines. Remember, he was a 2nd round draft pick, so he's expected to succeed.

Alex is the better option right now, but I'm excited to see what kind of player Kaepernick turns into.
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Wow, I didn't realise Kaep was that bad of a player,

He's a backup on any NFL team at best. That's why he's not a starter. I would take Tebow over him since Tebow already proved he can take a team to the play-offs
Tebow actually has good leadership skills

he will soon
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Keep playing Alex while letting Kap marinate.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Kaep is young and we can all agree that he hasn't reached his full potential. But as a Niner fan, I want him on the roster. From what I've seen, he has great physical attributes, inculding a cannon arm, a quick release, and terrific speed and mobility.

I'd take Kaep over QB's who are starting right now (Sanchez/Tebow, Gabbert, Skelton/Kolb, Cassel/Quinn and even Carson Palmer).

He's probably got 2 or 3 years left on his rookie deal. He'll continue to grow into the system and eventually may become too talented to keep on the sidelines. Remember, he was a 2nd round draft pick, so he's expected to succeed.

Alex is the better option right now, but I'm excited to see what kind of player Kaepernick turns into.

Good post doc, glad to see some people have common sense in the zone.
Originally posted by scarletandgold:

Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Heck, alex cant even hit his 1st wide open read sometimes and checks down, let alone 2nd or 3rd option.

Steve Young once said it, in the nfl when a wr is one on one with the db, for steve young hes considered open.

Since both of you are keen on thinking Alex Smith doesn't do read progression that it's OK for Kaep to do the same. Evaluate Kaep by what the qb position requires him to do, not what you think Smith isn't doing.

I know you guys want Kaep to play. But the logic and reasoning for him to start for extended period just came across half-azz.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 4, 2012 at 6:08 AM ]
The thing that occurs to me when I read such threads... is a simple thing.

We as fans are not watching these players during team meetings, during film studies, during weekly practices. The coaches are.

So how fans can have such strong compulsions as to who should be starting? This phenomena is always a fascination for me. What is it about fans that think they know more than the coaches, who watch and study these players as they determine what they are ready for and what they have shown to have learned?
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The thing that occurs to me when I read such threads... is a simple thing.

We as fans are not watching these players during team meetings, during film studies, during weekly practices. The coaches are.

So how fans can have such strong compulsions as to who should be starting? This phenomena is always a fascination for me. What is it about fans that think they know more than the coaches, who watch and study these players as they determine what they are ready for and what they have shown to have learned?

Good questions Mac! I often feel the same way when someone watches one angle of a play that does not show down the field and then states that the QB had wide open receivers. Just trying to create an argument I think. I guess that's about 90% of the reason some folks post.

Many false comparisons and competitions arise in these threads and CK starting seems one of the least likely. I'm sure Harbaugh and all will make a better decision than I would though.
Originally posted by zomg_its_ryan:
I believe both Alex and Kaepernick have 2 years left on their current contracts. Let them compete next offseason, which Alex will likely win, then the last year of their contracts let Kaepernick take over. Simple as that. Kaepernick, quite frankly, could be ready by next year. Who knows...

So wait a minute, let me get this straight. In your view we keep them both and let them compete pre next season? Sounds good. And you say Smith wins? That's possible.

Then I lose you. You say in the last year of their contracts we let CK take over. No competition, we just bounce the starting qb who beat him out in 2013 and force in CK regardless. Well, that just does not make sense.

A lot of posters here view Kaepernick's ascension to the starting role as inevitable. Well, it isn't. If he wins it and beats out Alex Smith as starter, fair enough and I will be queuing up for a CK gameshirt. But there is a long way to go first. CK may well have potential, but that remains to be realised. And Smith, under Harbaugh, will himself continue to improve.

Interesting times ahead.