LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 167 users in the forums

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What to do with Colin Kaepernick???

Trade him and move Tolzien up. All this hoopla about Kap is based on some very limited action (granted, same with Tolzien). I'm still not entirely convinced he gets the pro game or possesses those intangibles necessary for it. Saw more of that from Tolzien, but hey, I'm just a fan and not entirely qualified, so just MHO.
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Lol. He's had more than one good game this year. I get what you're saying though. Gotta get Kaep out of SF before he becomes a threat....

While AS still needs to prove he is elite, AS has already proven he can be a good winning QB with a good coaching staff in place. However CK needs to prove he is even starting QB material, right now CK isn't even competing for the starting job, he's a rd 2 project who is a backup with no real experience in his 2nd year, come next year, his 3rd year, if he still can't prove he is starting QB material he would be pretty much another nate davis
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Trade him and move Tolzien up. All this hoopla about Kap is based on some very limited action (granted, same with Tolzien). I'm still not entirely convinced he gets the pro game or possesses those intangibles necessary for it. Saw more of that from Tolzien, but hey, I'm just a fan and not entirely qualified, so just MHO.

toward the end of preseason, Josh Johnson was outplaying Scott Tolzien. Many expected him to make it over Scott..or both of them to get cut. Kaep was doing well versus starters.
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Lol. He's had more than one good game this year. I get what you're saying though. Gotta get Kaep out of SF before he becomes a threat....

While AS still needs to prove he is elite, AS has already proven he can be a good winning QB with a good coaching staff in place. However CK needs to prove he is even starting QB material, right now CK isn't even competing for the starting job, he's a rd 2 project who is a backup with no real experience in his 2nd year, come next year, his 3rd year, if he still can't prove he is starting QB material he would be pretty much another nate davis

You have a point, kaep needs to prove he can play as a starter. But we dont know that until he is given a chance to play and develop. We can say alex smith is pretty much a nate davis until harbugh came. Was nate davis given 7 years to develop? I think alex smith was pretty much given a pass to start and develop because he was the #1 pick and they had to pay him number one money. I can tell u this though, taking out coaching, ignoring familiarity with the system, alex smith sucks in his first few seasons play (that includes preseason) and suck more than nate davis or kaep as a player in their initial play as newbies in the NFL.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Afrikan:

toward the end of preseason, Josh Johnson was outplaying Scott Tolzien. Many expected him to make it over Scott..or both of them to get cut. Kaep was doing well versus starters.
thank you for reminding me bout josh johnson i really did not want him on the team and it would have been horrible for the younger guys if they were out played by johnson. i am just glad we have three nice young quarterbacks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
how are you going to do this when alex is coming off a game like monday? as alex continues to win just how are you going to get ck is playing time. yes it kind of sucks we are winning games, in first place in our division and have a quarterback coming off a near nfl record.

I don't recall saying put Kaep in right now, I simply stated there's only one way to see what he can or cannot do. Some of you over react without really reading the posts. No I'm not mad about Alex setting records or winning games that's silly. Just as it is silly for someone to doubt and tear down a player that hasn't had a chance to prove himself on the field. I would never root against my team and hope for them to lose or someone becoming injured, just because I want to see a certain player play. Probably can't say the same for a few "fans" on the zone.
possible but not probable when it comes to the topic of alex,, but maybe that is just coming from a few "fans" on the zone. the zone has a rich history of people who wanted the team to lose games years ago so we can draft higher,, and you know you have seen a few posts from a few "fans" who have said the best thing is if alex were to get hurt so ck can take over. again its just a few fans but i brought it up to agree with you that it is silly and childish to say those things
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Afrikan:

thank you for reminding me bout josh johnson i really did not want him on the team and it would have been horrible for the younger guys if they were out played by johnson. i am just glad we have three nice young quarterbacks

Josh is 1 year older than Scott Tolzien.
This thread is still going....
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
You have a point, kaep needs to prove he can play as a starter. But we dont know that until he is given a chance to play and develop. We can say alex smith is pretty much a nate davis until harbugh came. Was nate davis given 7 years to develop? I think alex smith was pretty much given a pass to start and develop because he was the #1 pick and they had to pay him number one money. I can tell u this though, taking out coaching, ignoring familiarity with the system, alex smith sucks in his first few seasons play (that includes preseason) and suck more than nate davis or kaep as a player in their initial play as newbies in the NFL.

AS has had or competed for the starting QB position since he enter the league and joined the 49ers. Yes he was a #1 overall pick, he has all the skill set of a #1, just not the typical personality of an elite QB. However CK was a project and still is. If CK was on another NFL team with QBs much lesser than AS, like JAX, MIA, Cleveland, NYJ, KC, even SEA CK would still be a backup or even the 3rd string QB since he hasn't proven he has what it takes to start a game as a NFL QB. What is he missing? Leadership, maturity, accuracy, poise and most of all experience. By his 3rd season on the sideline, if he hasn't learn enough to compete for the starting QB position, it's pretty much a waste of a pick by the 49ers.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:23 PM ]

AS has had or competed for the starting QB position since he enter the league and joined the 49ers. Yes he was a #1 overall pick, he has all the skill set of a #1, just not the typical personality of an elite QB. However CK was a project and still is. If CK was on another NFL team with QBs much lesser than AS, like JAX, MIA, Cleveland, NYJ, KC, even SEA CK would still be a backup or even the 3rd string QB since he hasn't proven he has what it takes to start a game as a NFL QB. What is he missing? Leadership, maturity, accuracy, poise and most of all experience. By his 3rd season on the sideline, if he hasn't learn enough to compete for the starting QB position, it's pretty much a waste of a pick by the 49ers.

did you just start to watch 9ers football 1 year ago?
I dont know where u been for the past 7 years, but Alex Smith has been "non-functional" until Harbaugh came. My point being, while u already declare Kaep as pretty much a backup / wasted pick in his 2nd year without much development time with the 1st team or much live bullet experience, we give Alex 5+ years to develop? I say there's too much bias against Kaep.

I dont know where u been for the past 7 years, but Alex Smith has been "non-functional" until Harbaugh came. My point being, while u already declare Kaep as pretty much a backup / wasted pick in his 2nd year without much development time with the 1st team or much live bullet experience, we give Alex 5+ years to develop? I say there's too much bias against Kaep.

Guess all those years of fail coaching you watched before the hiring of Harb, you didn't realize it was fail coaching...
Some fans still claim they know football... Especially the fans that like to criticize AS, even though the team is 6-2 and made it to the NFCC last year.
CK is at best a backup on even the worst NFL team. If he doesn't improve by next year, he is worthless. Give it a rest.
[ Edited by MrTruth on Nov 1, 2012 at 9:45 PM ]
trade for Shaun Hill
Originally posted by marshniners24:
trade for Shaun Hill

Shaun Hill would have never competed with AS as a starter if Harb was the HC then.

Guess all those years of fail coaching you watched before the hiring of Harb, you didn't realize it was fail coaching...
Some fans still claim they know football... Especially the fans that like to criticize AS, even though the team is 6-2 and made it to the NFCC last year.
CK is at best a backup on even the worst NFL team. If he doesn't improve by next year, he is worthless. Give it a rest.

Bad coaches?

Mike McCarthy as OC is a bad coach? we all know where he took GB

Norv Turner as OC is a bad coach? Turner was the offensive coordinator with the Dallas Cowboys on Jimmy Johnson's staff when Dallas won back-to-back Super Bowls in 1992 and 1993. Turner got much of the credit for not only their success, but for helping shape quarterback Troy Aikman into a Hall of Fame player.

Mike Martz, while not one of the good coaches, is still very respected, and was OC for the Ram when they won the superbowl in 99

Those are 3 respected offensive coaches that should be able to put up a decent offensive strategy and work with Smith.

Then people will say "well smith didn't have continuity, he was only in each system for 1 year" That excuse can't work anymore, how about guys like Russel Wilson, RG3, Luck, etc. These rookies (and many others) were able to "function" in just having a training camp.
[ Edited by ginseng1000 on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:23 PM ]
Everyone do not take Mr. Truth serious.....don't fall for it. His posts are very transparent.

"If CK was on another NFL team with QBs much lesser than AS, like JAX, MIA, Cleveland, NYJ, KC, even SEA CK would still be a backup or even the 3rd string QB since he hasn't proven he has what it takes to start a game as a NFL QB. What is he missing? Leadership, maturity, accuracy, poise and most of all experience. By his 3rd season on the sideline, if he hasn't learn enough to compete for the starting QB position, it's pretty much a waste of a pick by the 49ers."

that should say it all...especially with the kind of preseason Kaep had against starters, compared to some of the QBs on those teams.

Now I can understand why Mr.Truth posts the way he posts...I mean I'm sure that one Nevada guy's posts drive Alex's defenders crazy as well.

would be crazy if both are the same person.

[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 1, 2012 at 10:20 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone