LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
For those who want to talk about Eddie's early mishaps (Joe Thomas in particular), after he learned from that ordeal, you never saw it happen again. Ever. His last coaching hire was Steve Mariucci who did ok for us. And I think to say he simply opened up his checkbook is understating what he did. We were put in a position to win. We acquired players that contributed to us winning. This is not Daniel Snyder by a long shot.

Yep, and it ignores the fact that Eddie D. was new to the league and still learning the ropes. Couldnt expect him to put together a championship team right after he took control of a franchise in a sport where he had no clue the ups and downs of. Heck, he even says as much in the NFL Network special. The point is that ONCE he did bring success to the franchise, he never looked back. SBs with Walsh and Seifert, and one NFCC game away from ring 6. No way we wouldve stayed mediocre with him around, and no way we keep Alex beyond year 3 IF we ended up drafting him.
No because he wouldn't have gotten rid of Moch and the team wouldn't have tanked as they did with Erickson.
Therefore the 49er's wouldn't have had the first pick in the draft. At least in the year the Smith and Rodgers were available.

On the other hand the argument is moot since Eddie D got his hand caught in the cookie jar and the new OWNER who had NO CLUE how to run a football team was trying to save money big time and as the saying goes "You get what you pay for"!
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by CollgeBoyWithaSS:
I say yes. He would have hired a coaching staff that knows how to develop a QB. Not throw him into the fire at 21 years old with the worst team in history.

Really? You do realize this is the same man that hired Joe Thomas who put us in purgatory. Along with several coaches before Walsh? Hiring the right coach and GM is a little like the draft, sometimes you need a little luck.
How long did Joe Thomas last? Two years? Eddie D wasn't patient, and didn't care about eating contracts. We would not have had an 8 year no play-off span with Eddie in charge, he would have turned over management and coaching quickly until the right people were in place. Eddie was the best owner ever in the history of professional sports. (Ok, maybe I am a little biased)

Eddie didn't mind eating contracts because his heyday was pre salary cap. Look what happened to the team once Carmen Policy was finished finagling contracts. The team was in cap hell for years.
Nolan would be gone after the 2007 season, Nolan would not be the GM and HC.

If the GM would wanted Alex gone he would have been gone. Eddie did not interfere with the football operations.
hell no , i don't think any team has ever given a QB this many chances to be honest.
Originally posted by JeuSF49:
Nolan would be gone after the 2007 season, Nolan would not be the GM and HC.

If the GM would wanted Alex gone he would have been gone. Eddie did not interfere with the football operations.

While this is largely true, what Eddie did was to put pressure on the GM and HC to explain what they were doing and why it would work. This in turn increases the intensity level to evaluate quickly and accurately to avoid prolonged nonperformance. So the pressure for the players came from Eddie through Walsh. Montana and Clark use to hang out with Eddie but they knew Walsh would cut them in a heartbeat if a better player(s) showed up.

I completely agree that Nolan would not have been his own GM...just a very rookie mistake by the Yorks. They were not business people so didn't have that experience to draw from. Many of us were clamoring for a GM or HOFO to govern Nolan, but it didn't happen and we see what a mistake it was. Singletary was a bigger mistake, in my opinion, because he didn't have the background in coaching that Nolan had...even less capable of managing a team.
Of course Eddie put pressure on the front office that's his job as owner.

The more I think of it the more this thread is a joke. Like anyone here really knows Mr D. And what he would or wouldn't do. All I know is I'm pretty sure Erickson would never have been hired in the first place.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Problem is Eddie D's big advantage of the 80's was gone by the mid 90's.... With a salary cap he couldn't out bid teams for players. Also by the mid 90's a lot more teams were taking private jets to away games and staying in first class hotels. His last coaching hire while owner was Steve Mariucci and he was not a great coach. He also let Carmen Policy & Dwight Clark take Jim Druckenmiller and then leave the 49ers for Cleveland. But overall he was a pretty good owner and Alex would of been gone after 3-4 years and at best a backup at best on another team and probably out of the NFL by now, kind of a Joey Harrington career.
[ Edited by Jcool on Oct 27, 2012 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by kingairta:
Of course Eddie put pressure on the front office that's his job as owner.

The more I think of it the more this thread is a joke. Like anyone here really knows Mr D. And what he would or wouldn't do. All I know is I'm pretty sure Erickson would never have been hired in the first place.

Pretty much true of every thread and every post! Unless JH is posting under the name of Susweel. That would be interesting!

But why do you feel compelled to post in a thread that is a joke? You must have something better to do? Rake leaves? Mow the lawn?
Eddie would have picked up PM18.

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Pretty much true of every thread and every post! Unless JH is posting under the name of Susweel. That would be interesting!

But why do you feel compelled to post in a thread that is a joke? You must have something better to do? Rake leaves? Mow the lawn?

Light yourself on fire? lol at least thats what i would rather do.
  • dugo
  • Veteran
Not even close,,don't think he even would of been drafted by the 9ers
No way in h3//!!
Eddie had nothing to do with it...ask Walsh.

The answer is as soon as Walsh felt he had something better he would replace him.
Originally posted by Jcool:
Problem is Eddie D's big advantage of the 80's was gone by the mid 90's.... With a salary cap he couldn't out bid teams for players. Also by the mid 90's a lot more teams were taking private jets to away games and staying in first class hotels. His last coaching hire while owner was Steve Mariucci and he was not a great coach. He also let Carmen Policy & Dwight Clark take Jim Druckenmiller and then leave the 49ers for Cleveland. But overall he was a pretty good owner and Alex would of been gone after 3-4 years and at best a backup at best on another team and probably out of the NFL by now, kind of a Joey Harrington career.

There are ways around. Everyone was having to deal with the salary cap and we got burned for trying to manipulate it. However I think we would've learned from our lessons and continued to be a good team. Once the cap was instituted, the 49ers were still in Super Bowl or bust mode and we never made the proper adjustments. Also, Steve Mariucci may not have been a great coach, but he was good and did well with the 49ers. I think Seifert just took a lot of heat for not being able to beat Green Bay. Mariucci was in a much better position because at least he had a running game, whereas in Seiferts final 2 seasons, our running game was nonexistent.

As for the Jim Druckenmiller decision, once Walsh left, we never had a great talent evaluator. Look at our drafts of the 1990s. Terrible. But our terrible drafting was masked by the fact that we continued to have 10, 13, and 14 win seasons. In the entire decade, I think the only one worth anything was T.O. I don't think anyone realized how bad the talent was on this team until Steve Young went down. And instead of drafting good players, we just brought in free agents to try and keep us winning 10 + per year. I do recall Walsh promoting Jake Plummer in 1997 and although he isn't a great by a long shot, I think we would've been able to keep our winning ways going once Steve Young was no longer our starter.

I don't mind Policy and Clark leaving for Cleveland, because I think by then, they both had demonstrated they really didn't know what they were doing. Their drafts, contracts, and penchant for signing expensive FAs are a testament to this. Who assumed power after they left? Wasn't it Bill Walsh, who then immediately brought in Jeff Garcia?

It's kind of ironic that we didn't bring in any good young players until Walsh rejoined the team.
Share 49ersWebzone