LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Eddie had nothing to do with it...ask Walsh.

The answer is as soon as Walsh felt he had something better he would replace him.

And then there is Gio Carmazzi! My favorite!

Walsh would not have feared Rodgers as Nolan seemed to, but he would have made good QBs out of either Rodgers or Smith and they would have excelled under him. But Walsh might have found a way to trade down and take the one not taken at the bottom of round one...but I digress...

Aliens might have landed and taken Walsh to Planet X to help invent a new game...the X Game.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM ]
Just read dtg's post above. Give alex a coach and it didn't matter who was owner...altho back then, eddie could buy an entire team...and did, several times.
If we did in fact pick Alex Smith and Eddie was still around...things would be much different. Alex would have had a legit coach and supporting cast from day one. He would have continuity and stability. Now if Alex still was mediocre after 3 years then that's a different story...but can anyone here seriously doubt that Alex would be a MUCH different QB if say...a coach like Harbaugh was here in 2005? Imagine if Smith had Harbaugh/Roman for 7 years and we signed legit weapons in 05...

Things would be vastly different. Alex would easily be a top 5 QB consistently IMO.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Just read dtg's post above. Give alex a coach and it didn't matter who was owner...altho back then, eddie could buy an entire team...and did, several times.

another coach??
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

another coach??

Go back to sleep...we'll wake you for the next QB hopeful.
As a back up
I think you may have seen the club target drew Brees even though it had drafted smith the previous year. Walshs opinion( even though he wasnt with team at the time) of Brees I think would have made Eddie sign him.
  • jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kingairta:
Originally posted by jdean:
Originally posted by sacniner:
We wouldn't have had the number one pick to begin with. A lot of things would have been different.

Eddie d's first 3 years as an owner the team was 5-9, 2-14 , 2-14. We had the 1st overall pick in 79 but it was traded away for oj simpson. So we did have a first overall pick under him.if he dint trade it away. I know he wasn't the gm but if he's going to get credit for the great things then he needs to get credit for the bad deals. Personally I can't stand the guy. I don't know what he did that was so special. All he did was open up his wallet and spend money. If that gets him into the hall then d. snyder gets in too.He didnt draft anybody ,call any plays ,make any plays. He wanted to fire wash after the 87 season and his constant butting in caused Walsh to call it quits after the 88 season. Sorry for the rant but I can't stand him or people with his kind of personality.

What he did was create a culture. It wasn't just his open wallet all though that did help. Players actually wanted to come to the team to play. I don't know about Snyder but do former players still look up to him and respect him as a man? Do they still enjoy "hanging" with him? Just look at how former players respond when the topic of Mr. D. comes up. That's all you need to understand. The rest of your post sounds like a typical hate the rich guy rant.

As for the original topic Eddie didn't make personnel decisions. He would have listened to his GM and HC and supported them. And with Eddie this team would never have seen Errickson. So chances are Alex wouldn't be on the team.

This thread is nothing but another lets bash Alex.

I don't hate the rich ,not at all. I love them. They have kept me busy working. What I hate is the arragont ass that he was/is. It was the his arragont ass attitude that got him kicked out of the nfl. I still don't see what he did. Believe me nobody wanted to come here until we started winning and I still dont believe he had anything to do with it except spending lots of money on players that Walsh wanted. That's just my opinion. I guess I'm still mad when he fired monte Clark and hired joe Thomas , I heard on the advice of al Davis.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
If we did in fact pick Alex Smith and Eddie was still around...things would be much different. Alex would have had a legit coach and supporting cast from day one. He would have continuity and stability. Now if Alex still was mediocre after 3 years then that's a different story...but can anyone here seriously doubt that Alex would be a MUCH different QB if say...a coach like Harbaugh was here in 2005? Imagine if Smith had Harbaugh/Roman for 7 years and we signed legit weapons in 05...

Things would be vastly different. Alex would easily be a top 5 QB consistently IMO.

I'll buy that. I agree.

I disagree actually. From what Ive seen, Alex has shown very little in terms of being a self dependent quarterback. His success has a direct correlation with the success of the other facets on our team (run/defense(, and the fews games where he's actually won the game for us with his arm can be easily offset by games where his arm cost us a W. I just dont think Eddie would tolerate this type of inconsistency.

All coaches have bad days. Im sure there were days when Walsh/Seifert didnt put together the best gameplan, yet Montana/Young had the ability to carry the team. Alex does not have that. s**tty gameplanning in the Alex Smith era has always led to bad losses.

Alex had

Mike McCarthy
Norv Turner
Ted Tollner
Mike Martz
Mike Johnson
Jim Harbaugh
Greg Roman

one way or another all teach him how to play the QB position.

yet, after so many years he still has problems with Basic stuff. So what makes some of you so sure things would be different with a different coach?
would Randy Moss be on this roster if Tony Morabito was still Owner of this TEAM?

i dunno, there would be a huge generation gap
Tom Brady would've been drafted in 2000 and Alex Smith a bust with the Browns
Originally posted by Faraz80:

I disagree actually. From what Ive seen, Alex has shown very little in terms of being a self dependent quarterback. His success has a direct correlation with the success of the other facets on our team (run/defense(, and the fews games where he's actually won the game for us with his arm can be easily offset by games where his arm cost us a W. I just dont think Eddie would tolerate this type of inconsistency.

All coaches have bad days. Im sure there were days when Walsh/Seifert didnt put together the best gameplan, yet Montana/Young had the ability to carry the team. Alex does not have that. s**tty gameplanning in the Alex Smith era has always led to bad losses.

If I remember correctly we had several bad losses with Montana and Young.......
A couple more contracts and Alex Smith will be the owner.
Share 49ersWebzone