LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would Alex Smith be on this Roster if Eddie D. was Still Owner of this TEAM ?

• jdean
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sacniner:
We wouldn't have had the number one pick to begin with. A lot of things would have been different.

Eddie d's first 3 years as an owner the team was 5-9, 2-14 , 2-14. We had the 1st overall pick in 79 but it was traded away for oj simpson. So we did have a first overall pick under him.if he dint trade it away. I know he wasn't the gm but if he's going to get credit for the great things then he needs to get credit for the bad deals. Personally I can't stand the guy. I don't know what he did that was so special. All he did was open up his wallet and spend money. If that gets him into the hall then d. snyder gets in too.He didnt draft anybody ,call any plays ,make any plays. He wanted to fire wash after the 87 season and his constant butting in caused Walsh to call it quits after the 88 season. Sorry for the rant but I can't stand him or people with his kind of personality.
lol, of course not. Eddie didn't like losing and he didn't tolerate losers being associated with this organization.
Eddie D was a guy who spent money on his team, rewarded those who succeeded and kept hiring people until he found one who worked out. Joe Thomas blew up the team and it went into the basement of the NFL. He hired Walsh and was patient enough to give him two abysmal years to turn around the team...which he did by winning the super bowl in his third year!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Eddie D was a guy who spent money on his team, rewarded those who succeeded and kept hiring people until he found one who worked out. Joe Thomas blew up the team and it went into the basement of the NFL. He hired Walsh and was patient enough to give him two abysmal years to turn around the team...which he did by winning the super bowl in his third year!

So your answer is that Alex wouldnt stand a chance with Eddie D around, right ?
For the sake of playing along here, lets say we somehow had a number one pick under Eddie D. (which I highly doubt), I think he would have took Rodgers number one because of him being a hometown guy. Now lets say we still drafted Alex under a Eddie D. ran team, I think he would have waited to play Alex until he had a proper offensive line in front of him and at least respectable weapons. I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that under Eddie D. things would have been better, and seriously I doubt we would ever be that bad to have a number one pick under Eddie.
Not only would he still be on the team, he'd have a career long contract, with a clause that allows him to take over as head coach, gm and part owner when and if he decided to retire.
Originally posted by Faraz80:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

So your answer is that Alex wouldnt stand a chance with Eddie D around, right ?

Not sure how you get there from here, but I believe the Yorks completely mishandled the hiring of coaches, which led to a losing team year after year. Jed shows up and hires Harbaugh and Baalke and things improve. Smith has progressed from a 20 year old rookie, through major surgery on his throwing shoulder to become a very efficient QB. Will he reach the next level? Don't know, but I won't count him out since he has been so stoic and resilient over the years and punishment.

But those who only want Smith to succeed or only want CK to succeed, or want one or the other to fail miss the point of being team fans. Absolutists who believe they know what will happen are delusional.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 26, 2012 at 10:41 PM ]
For those who want to talk about Eddie's early mishaps (Joe Thomas in particular), after he learned from that ordeal, you never saw it happen again. Ever. His last coaching hire was Steve Mariucci who did ok for us. And I think to say he simply opened up his checkbook is understating what he did. We were put in a position to win. We acquired players that contributed to us winning. This is not Daniel Snyder by a long shot.
There have been too many, woulda, coulda, shoulda and wishing threads. Too much time between games.
Originally posted by jdean:
We wouldn't have had the number one pick to begin with. A lot of things would have been different.

Eddie d's first 3 years as an owner the team was 5-9, 2-14 , 2-14. We had the 1st overall pick in 79 but it was traded away for oj simpson. So we did have a first overall pick under him.if he dint trade it away. I know he wasn't the gm but if he's going to get credit for the great things then he needs to get credit for the bad deals. Personally I can't stand the guy. I don't know what he did that was so special. All he did was open up his wallet and spend money. If that gets him into the hall then d. snyder gets in too.He didnt draft anybody ,call any plays ,make any plays. He wanted to fire wash after the 87 season and his constant butting in caused Walsh to call it quits after the 88 season. Sorry for the rant but I can't stand him or people with his kind of personality.

What he did was create a culture. It wasn't just his open wallet all though that did help. Players actually wanted to come to the team to play. I don't know about Snyder but do former players still look up to him and respect him as a man? Do they still enjoy "hanging" with him? Just look at how former players respond when the topic of Mr. D. comes up. That's all you need to understand. The rest of your post sounds like a typical hate the rich guy rant.

As for the original topic Eddie didn't make personnel decisions. He would have listened to his GM and HC and supported them. And with Eddie this team would never have seen Errickson. So chances are Alex wouldn't be on the team.

This thread is nothing but another lets bash Alex.
[ Edited by kingairta on Oct 27, 2012 at 7:39 AM ]

This.. thank you. Saved me from reading through what promises to be a miserable thread.

/
Eddie D never came down on the players only the coaches and front office people so this question isn't even a fair question.

If the team was losing with Alex Smith as QB he would've fired the coaches and front office people and the decision to keep Alex Smith or not would've been up to whatever the new personnel he hired to replace the ones he fired.

Much like we saw with Harbaugh and Jed. Jed would've been perfectly fine if Harbaugh decided to dump Alex but he was perfectly fine with Harbaugh keeping him as well because he trusted the guy he hired to know more than he did and to make the correct call.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by CollgeBoyWithaSS:
I say yes. He would have hired a coaching staff that knows how to develop a QB. Not throw him into the fire at 21 years old with the worst team in history.

Really? You do realize this is the same man that hired Joe Thomas who put us in purgatory. Along with several coaches before Walsh? Hiring the right coach and GM is a little like the draft, sometimes you need a little luck.
How long did Joe Thomas last? Two years? Eddie D wasn't patient, and didn't care about eating contracts. We would not have had an 8 year no play-off span with Eddie in charge, he would have turned over management and coaching quickly until the right people were in place. Eddie was the best owner ever in the history of professional sports. (Ok, maybe I am a little biased)
This question is retarded because.. if eddie was still here we wont have ever picked number one overall. he would have hired a better coach and put us in a better situation to win. Alex wouldnt be here is correct but it would becasue we wouldnt have been drafting number one ever!
Originally posted by SY9er8:
This question is retarded because.. if eddie was still here we wont have ever picked number one overall. he would have hired a better coach and put us in a better situation to win. Alex wouldnt be here is correct but it would becasue we wouldnt have been drafting number one ever!

One thing he might have done is hire McCarthy rather than Nolan. I know the timing was a bit tricky but wouldn't that have made a lot of difference? I think so!

This may be a bit off subject, but I've been thinking about the Nolan hire and I believe the Yorks were trying to go back to before the Eddie era to find a 9ers connection that fans could latch onto. Nolan senior was fairly successful as a niner coach...the last time the 9ers were in the hunt before Walsh arrived.
Share 49ersWebzone