LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Will Jenkins and/or James be activated this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by martysofresh:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by sfout:
I've said it before but I have a feeling we are teaching LMJ the ropes at WR and that we will be using him the same the Chiefs have finally figured out how use McCluster - 2011 stats 114 rushes & 46 receptions + 2012 projected = NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS & 56 receptions.

IMHO we are better coaches and can use LMJ in a better fashion then I also believe that LMJ is better then McCluster. James will be a great addition to the team once he is on the field. We'll line him up at RB and WR, that is what I chose to believe we are doing with LMJ during his "redshirt" season.

having a bunch of guys at or under 6ft would really be stupid IMO

I'd kinda like to see us use Jenkins and James the way Minny uses Harvin and GB uses Cobb. Both teams have them line up in the backfield on sim plays and motion them out and vice versa.

Harvin did that at FL....not sure if Jenkins would be comfortable.

I just want our WR's to play WR and the RB's to play RB.....I really don't like the cute s**t.
People do not believe me, but the 2012 draft was geared towards the passing of the candle to CK7 in 2013/2014.

With Alex- Run first play action, short throws. Gore RB, TE and slot receivers will get majority of catches.

CK7- Gore is retired- LMJ, Hunter split RB's in backfield. Jenkins as WR with Manningham and Kyle Williams. This offense is all about spreading the field, getting running lanes, throwing the ball long to WR's or underneath to RB's.
Originally posted by 9erred:
People do not believe me, but the 2012 draft was geared towards the passing of the candle to CK7 in 2013/2014.

With Alex- Run first play action, short throws. Gore RB, TE and slot receivers will get majority of catches.

CK7- Gore is retired- LMJ, Hunter split RB's in backfield. Jenkins as WR with Manningham and Kyle Williams. This offense is all about spreading the field, getting running lanes, throwing the ball long to WR's or underneath to RB's.

Drafting all midgets is not a great idea, don't care who the QB is.
  • dj43

Manningham and Williams will not be starters on this team when it is really passing the ball well. Williams is quick, but small and relatively slow. Manningham has only slightly above average speed. But for one single reception in his career, albeit it in the Super Bowl, he is a very forgettable early round pick that never panned out. Jenkins MAY be worth his draft pick but we have seen nothing of it yet. As of now, the 49ers have not shown that ANY of their current receivers have the speed to beat a good CB on a deep route. In fact, even on short to mid-range they cannot beat a good DB. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if the defense can take a receiver out of the game with single man coverage, it is going to be a long day for the QB.
I get the feeling Harbaugh thinks that rookies can red-shirt in the NFL. There is nothing more important than getting our rookies real playing time in real NFL games. My god at least bring them in when we have a compfortible lead.
Pretty simple...if there are injuries and they show they're ready in practice, then yes. If there's no injuries and they show in practice that they're not ready, then no. Guessing is silly. None of us see them in practice and none of us can foresee the future to know if there will be injuries.
Originally posted by dj43:

Manningham and Williams will not be starters on this team when it is really passing the ball well. Williams is quick, but small and relatively slow. Manningham has only slightly above average speed. But for one single reception in his career, albeit it in the Super Bowl, he is a very forgettable early round pick that never panned out. Jenkins MAY be worth his draft pick but we have seen nothing of it yet. As of now, the 49ers have not shown that ANY of their current receivers have the speed to beat a good CB on a deep route. In fact, even on short to mid-range they cannot beat a good DB. It doesn't matter who the QB is, if the defense can take a receiver out of the game with single man coverage, it is going to be a long day for the QB.

Manningham is better than you give him credit for.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
I've said it before but I have a feeling we are teaching LMJ the ropes at WR and that we will be using him the same the Chiefs have finally figured out how use McCluster - 2011 stats 114 rushes & 46 receptions + 2012 projected = NO RUSHING ATTEMPTS & 56 receptions.

IMHO we are better coaches and can use LMJ in a better fashion then I also believe that LMJ is better then McCluster. James will be a great addition to the team once he is on the field. We'll line him up at RB and WR, that is what I chose to believe we are doing with LMJ during his "redshirt" season.

I'd kinda like to see us use Jenkins and James the way Minny uses Harvin and GB uses Cobb. Both teams have them line up in the backfield on sim plays and motion them out and vice versa.

I just want our WR's to play WR and the RB's to play RB.....I really don't like the cute s**t.

I dont like it either but I'm just being realistic about our plans for him. Assuming we dont re-up Jacobs and Gore finishes out his 3 year contract and retires after 2013 then LMJ will be the #2 behind Hunter. Hunter is an every down back especially if we keep a similar approach and only give him 16 carries a game as the #1 in the Post-Gore Era so LMJ will likely see +/- 10 touches on any given day.

LMJ is a weapon in the open field we will find ways to get him the ball and its going to be the same way Harvin, Cobb, and McCluster have been used.

Interesting......McCluster or Percy Harvin. Take your pick....
nvm
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM ]

When someone gets hurt. We are DEEP.

yeah, but I mean, I just want playmakers and to put points on the board. If we can make Staley a TE, why not?
BUt i get where youre coming from. I want Jenkins and James to come out guns blazing and just hush up all the skeptics
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by dj43:

Manningham is better than you give him credit for.

small but relatively slow?...i literally stopped reading there..
and yes. Manningham and KW are better than the credit he's giving them.
When im thinking recieving corps, im thinking at least 1 possession(Crab) Wr, Speed(KW) WR, WR Balanced(Ham), and a redzone target(Moss) Though Moss could be multiplw things, but you get my point. Ginn would be a speed too but he doesnt do much recieving so I left him out.
It's looking more and more unlikely. I have no idea what they were thinking with the James pick. I still think Jenkins can become a good player someday. He showed speed and good hands at the end of preseason. I'm surprised we don't see him more since we don't have much outside speed.
After reading recent interviews with LMJ and Jenkins and reading about them not getting playing time right away in college makes me think that Baalke and Harbaugh knew it would be hard for them to see the field their first year and they got guys who have been through it before

LMJ interview http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/2012/10/inside-the-49ers/lamichael-james-i-dont-know-the-game-fully/
Q: You haven't played yet this season. You didn't play much your first year at the University of Oregon, either. Have the two experiences felt similar?
JAMES: It's the exact same thing. I went to Oregon and I had to work my way up – from the scout team, running plays each and every day and really not expecting to play (in the games). And then you get your opportunity and you have to go out and prove that you can help the team win. Right now I'm just learning. I have great players in front of me. Frank Gore – that's one of the best running backs out there – and we have Brandon, and we have Kendall. They're all really good. I learn a lot from those guys, just like I learned a lot from LeGarrette (Blount) at Oregon.

Jenkins interview http://blog.sfgate.com/49ers/2012/10/23/a-j-jenkins-its-a-humbling-experience/
It's humbling," Jenkins said. "It's a humbling experience. You're drafted in the first round and people tell you how great you are and all the other stuff. But when reality hits you, hey, right now it's not my time to play, you kind of put things in perspective. I'm humble right now." Jenkins was active for the season opener at Green Bay, but didn't step on the field. He's since been inactive for six straight games while two rookie receivers selected more than 10 spots after him – Chicago's Alshon Jeffrey and the Jets' Stephen Hill – have combined for five touchdown receptions. Last week, Mario Manningham was sidelined by a shoulder injury, but Jenkins remained on the sideline and 49ers dressed four wide receivers. Fortunately for Jenkins, he's been here before: After his first two seasons at Illinois, he was a backup wide receiver who had 26 career receptions and a burning desire to transfer to another school. In retrospect, Jenkins said he learned as he waited for his turn. He believes he's doing much the same thing this season as he picks the brains of the veterans and picks up tips by studying film snippets of wideouts such as Johnson and Fitzgerald.

I know it doesnt make it easier for you guys who are dying to see them pla but these are a couple of guys who never had anything handed to them, they have had to work hard to get where they are at. Im sure they will be ready when called upon whether thats this year(unlikely) or next year
Share 49ersWebzone