LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Will Jenkins and/or James be activated this season?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
And if so when do you think it will be?
I was going to post about this. I was going to title it 3 surprises this year.

1. Jenkins/James
2. A. Brooks
3. Boone.

Profootballweekly just commented on Boone it's a good read about him. TBalke has made some good and bad moves. Gotta say, this looks like a bad move/draft. He gets props for the 2011 draft. The rebuttal to this post by members will be that you can't judge drafts etc.. I know that, but the fact that neither has played is concerning. I thought James could really be dynamic for us. Maybe after the bye week we will see more action from the rooks.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LBSI9ers:
I was going to post about this. I was going to title it 3 surprises this year.

1. Jenkins/James
2. A. Brooks
3. Boone.

Profootballweekly just commented on Boone it's a good read about him. TBalke has made some good and bad moves. Gotta say, this looks like a bad move/draft. He gets props for the 2011 draft. The rebuttal to this post by members will be that you can't judge drafts etc.. I know that, but the fact that neither has played is concerning. I thought James could really be dynamic for us. Maybe after the bye week we will see more action from the rooks.
got no issue with jenkins in the first round cuz i think moss and ginn will be gone next year and crabs is a unknown. however james in the second round could have easily been a de or a lb who could rush the passer, which is sorely needed for some reason this year
We can't say that 2012 is a good or bad draft yet. We just don't know. It's already been proven that this coaching staff will take play makers off of the field (see Randy Moss after the 55 yard completion against the Giants). So the theory that they are just not letting Jenkins and James play is very believable to me. I honestly don't expect to see Jenkins until next year and it doesn't bother me. There is no room and we aren't using our receivers as it is. Moss and Crabtree in particular could be doing a lot more. Manningham has been a pleasant surprise and I look forward to him starting next season and not having to rotate. I think James has a chance to appear this season. No one can tell me that Celek brings more to the table than LaMichael James does at this point. Bring him in to run a screen and see what he can do.
Originally posted by cciowa:
got no issue with jenkins in the first round cuz i think moss and ginn will be gone next year and crabs is a unknown. however james in the second round could have easily been a de or a lb who could rush the passer, which is sorely needed for some reason this year

Agree...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

Agree...
i assume that jenkins will be the main return man next year, he or kyle? james? a combonation? what do you think oakland? hell maybe non one will want ginn again and we will take him back on another one year deal?
At best James supplants Ginn as kickoff and punt returner. Might line up in the slot and run on occasion. All this equals a waste of a 2nd round pick. And as far as Jenkins is concerned, we'll have to wait until next year like many of you have stated. However, a first round pick should be an impact player immediately, except for maybe the QB, in my opinion. I still think he was a reach in the late first round . I would have rather seen the Niners trade out of the pick and stockpile 2nd rounders for the 2013 draft. But time will tell on Jenkins.
I say we keep Ginn. At receiver next year, we'd have Manningham (who I want locked up longterm if he continues), Crabtree, Jenkins, Williams, and would still have room for a 5th receiver. Why not Ted Ginn? I like him not only because he's a good returner, but he's also a smart returner. You can't plug anyone back there and expect them to be able to make the heads up decisions that he makes.
Some one at wr will probably get hurt And I believe jenkings will. If just for a week.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by UKNiners:
At best James supplants Ginn as kickoff and punt returner. Might line up in the slot and run on occasion. All this equals a waste of a 2nd round pick. And as far as Jenkins is concerned, we'll have to wait until next year like many of you have stated. However, a first round pick should be an impact player immediately, except for maybe the QB, in my opinion. I still think he was a reach in the late first round . I would have rather seen the Niners trade out of the pick and stockpile 2nd rounders for the 2013 draft. But time will tell on Jenkins.

i do like jenkins but there is much validity in your theory people said we did not need guys in the draft to contribute for this year cuz we were "stocked". looking back maybe that was arrogant thinking? thinking we would just cakewalk to a title? as we see now ,it will be like pulling teeth i Ithink

Agree...
i assume that jenkins will be the main return man next year, he or kyle? james? a combonation? what do you think oakland? hell maybe non one will want ginn again and we will take him back on another one year deal?

I have no idea as I haven't really seen Jenkins or James in those situations enough. I think its very clear Ginn is much better than KW in the return game, but at 2mm ( I think) a year and no appearance at WR I doubt Ginn sticks. My guess is we significantly cut down our positions at WR and RB next year, and I expect us to go with a youth movement. KW has shown to be a decent WR and a solid return man, so I bet he stays.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I say we keep Ginn. At receiver next year, we'd have Manningham (who I want locked up longterm if he continues), Crabtree, Jenkins, Williams, and would still have room for a 5th receiver. Why not Ted Ginn? I like him not only because he's a good returner, but he's also a smart returner. You can't plug anyone back there and expect them to be able to make the heads up decisions that he makes.
locking up ginn , even for three years would mean some money for a guy who has what, one catch,, ? not sure about that but i will keep an open mind. i still think no one will want him cuz he really is a one trick pony overall so maybe he comes back on another one year deal
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
I have no idea as I haven't really seen Jenkins or James in those situations enough. I think its very clear Ginn is much better than KW in the return game, but at 2mm ( I think) a year and no appearance at WR I doubt Ginn sticks. My guess is we significantly cut down our positions at WR and RB next year, and I expect us to go with a youth movement. KW has shown to be a decent WR and a solid return man, so I bet he stays.
yes, i think the team kind of messed up by keeping so many wide outs and backs. could have used more defensive line and linebacker help, in looking back on the thing
locking up ginn , even for three years would mean some money for a guy who has what, one catch,, ? not sure about that but i will keep an open mind. i still think no one will want him cuz he really is a one trick pony overall so maybe he comes back on another one year deal

His value is on special teams. Brian Mitchell was a great special teamer. He had no value whatsoever on offense. Ginn would also have 4 receivers in front of him, so its not like we would be dependent on him as a receiver. We can lock up a great return guy for really cheap. And my argument was more so about Ginn's smart play as a returner. He just doesn't make many mistakes back there. Next year Moss is gone, so that will bring space for Jenkins. I can see Leonard Davis and Dixon being gone as well, making room for LaMichael James and another special teamer.
What I find perplexing about the Jenkins pick is that most people are saying Alex is struggling cause our recievers are not getting any seperation. Well we have 1 starter hurt and the other recievers not getting any seperation.... but he still is not activated....WTF???

If our recievers truly aren't getting any seperation then what the hell are they doing on the field let somebody else have a shot at it. If our first round draft pick can't get activated between a injury and a seperation issue with other recievers than we aren't as deep as people think. Maybe we screwed up on that pick.

I don't buy we are saving him for next year and we are saving Moss for the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone