There are 119 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Thanks Marvin.

We played very good football teams back to back and one more to come. It will be interesting to see how many Seahawks won't play their next game.

Coaching - Making effective half-time adjustments saved us last season and worked again last night. At first I was upset JH took points off the board BUT later changed my mind when the reasons came forward. That was smart.

Special Teams - Andy Lee 60+ yards when we needed it. Ginn on KO, looks like he's getting into a groove. I think he's ready to break one open.

OLine - Excellent on run blocking. The one play where Tukafu[sp] pancaked a defender was great. Boone has surpassed most of the expectations people had about him. Goodwin had his best game as a Niner. Staley played very well and so did Iupati. ADavis is much better than last year and still improving. Those guys are tough as nails.

Justin - Played better than last week, he seemed to be able to put some pressure on Wilson [who is playing very good football, rookie or not]

Also - Miller's blocking was very effective.

Ray Mac - It seems he's almost disappeared

Kap - I think he is the future QB BUT have reservations on his short and Mid-range passes

Alex - I'v been a supporter of him since day one. BUT more & more he disappoints. His passes are sailing high again and I don't know if it is his finger BUT even if
if it is - I hope we are making alternative plans.

Thanks again.
  • Garcia
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Bad INT in the redzone

He continues to miss or just straight up not throw to open recievers down field.
More often then not, when he does, he over throws them because he cant put enough touch on the ball, and/or maybe because lack of arm strength?

One thing I have noticed is he also perpetually throws to WRs who are WELL SHORT of a 3rd down marker..
3rd and 12. Throws a completion for 4 yards. WTF.

It's also blatantly obvious, and we can use last year as a prime example... This coaching staff DOES NOT TRUST ALEX SMITH.
but from the last game, in redzone - they finally bring in Kaep on 2nd and goal. Goes for no gain.

WTF? Why even bring him in? Do we need to manufacture points that badly?
Next play, Alex again misses an open Randy Moss in the endzone, waits too long and gets picked.

The staff doesnt trust him.
And I don't believe he can be an elite QB. This is coming from an Alex Smith Fan/Supporter....
This team would be absolutely dominant with Peyton Manning or an equivalent elite caliber QB.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by TheRatMan13:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Every QB that has faced Seattle this year has had a bad game, had Alex not threw that pick he would of had one of the better games against Seattle.

you do know that those QBs play seattle 1 time every four years

C'mon now. We are talking #4 Seattle defense this year.

Lol I thought the same thing. If its an advantage for Smith to see the Seahawks twice a year, then it is cancelled out by the fact that Seattle also sees Smith twice a year.

So Seattle has an advantage ?

It offsets. Hard to grasp?

So seattle does have the advantage

1 - 1 = 1?
Originally posted by Garcia:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Bad INT in the redzone

He continues to miss or just straight up not throw to open recievers down field.
More often then not, when he does, he over throws them because he cant put enough touch on the ball, and/or maybe because lack of arm strength?

One thing I have noticed is he also perpetually throws to WRs who are WELL SHORT of a 3rd down marker..
3rd and 12. Throws a completion for 4 yards. WTF.

It's also blatantly obvious, and we can use last year as a prime example... This coaching staff DOES NOT TRUST ALEX SMITH.
but from the last game, in redzone - they finally bring in Kaep on 2nd and goal. Goes for no gain.

WTF? Why even bring him in? Do we need to manufacture points that badly?
Next play, Alex again misses an open Randy Moss in the endzone, waits too long and gets picked.

The staff doesnt trust him.
And I don't believe he can be an elite QB. This is coming from an Alex Smith Fan/Supporter....
This team would be absolutely dominant with Peyton Manning or an equivalent elite caliber QB.

i think the staff trusts him. which is why gore has disappeared in some games, but he just hasn't come through.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Are these elite numbers now?

32 Games (2 seasons), 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6,406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating.

Oh wait, stats are for losers!

Not sure what point you are trying to make...
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simply have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

i dont understand how the argument re throwing guys open applies when the receiver doesnt seperate--if that is what happens you just have a qb throwing to guy who is covered

Throwing a guy open means he throws it to a spot and the reciever has to go get it. he doesn't need to be "open" when the ball is realeased. He has to throw it to a spot that the WR can get to and the DB can't.

It's not easy...and easy to mess up and throw a pick...hence why I said he wasn't going to take chances.
That drive in the second half was the best strategic drive I have seen from SF in a while - quick throws to the backs, running the ball, and finding Delanie Walker (who we haven't seen lately with the ball).

Best one yet, IMHO, Marvin.. You da man!

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simply have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

i dont understand how the argument re throwing guys open applies when the receiver doesnt seperate--if that is what happens you just have a qb throwing to guy who is covered

Throwing a guy open means he throws it to a spot and the reciever has to go get it. he doesn't need to be "open" when the ball is realeased. He has to throw it to a spot that the WR can get to and the DB can't.

It's not easy...and easy to mess up and throw a pick...hence why I said he wasn't going to take chances.

There are also times where this falls when a receiver is already at a spot, well covered and the QB throws him open by hitting him on the left shoulder instead of the right shoulder. This is the one Alex will not do most times.

That's what "they" want, quite honestly. They want Alex forcing passes.. because that's the best way for him to throw INTs and get sent packing in the end.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

That's what "they" want, quite honestly. They want Alex forcing passes.. because that's the best way for him to throw INTs and get sent packing in the end.

No, but there are times when a pass can still be made, passes that other QB's are making. But our WR's will always be blamed for rarely having a chance to make the difficult catch.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:

No, but there are times when a pass can still be made, passes that other QB's are making. But our WR's will always be blamed for rarely having a chance to make the difficult catch.

It's the chicken or egg theory, really. Alex knows that Crabtree is only good for making tough catches to his helmet if he is squared off to the QB or slightly angled (say, on a slant).. but you won't see Crabtree diving or making circus catches the like. Manningham shows the most promise in this regard, but has so far generally been just a bit off for one reason or another. Moss, sadly hasn't been tested enough.. and for that, I blame a combination of Roman and Alex.

Again, these are my points of view... you have yours.. and I have little interest in doing anything other than expressing mine and not challenging anything unless it is grossly inaccurate. I can pretty much state every bit of spin you put out.. as you can mine.. so let's save ourselves the trouble and just truly know already where each is coming from in our own minds.
One thing that Marvin missed was Roman started calling short, flat passes to the backs in the second half when it became clear that our wide receivers were going to get mugged and the refs weren't going to do anything about it. Seattle's D continually gave Alex those underneath routes, and he took advantage of that. He likes the short passing attack anyway and he exploited that underneath stuff during the third quarter drive that ended in a touchdown for Delanie. Just good stuff and good play calling on Greg Roman's part. God, it's great to have GREAT COACHING again!
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Iupati was a beast in run blocking up the gut. Same with Boone.

Our guards have athleticism to reach LBs and safeties in second level and blow them back.
Average guards hope to stone wall at second level but our guys are doing so good it blasts open monster sized holes that perfectly fit Gore's running style.

They spot lighted Iupati doing this during game with replays and Mayock saying he could be best in the NFL

The entire Oline did a number on the Seahawks front four running the football. Baalke is going to have some tough decisions to make in a few years trying to lock up Iupati and A.Davis along with trying to keep Bowman long term. That 2010 draft was great outside of drafting Taylor Mays.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by Tigerlaw:
Iupati was a beast in run blocking up the gut. Same with Boone.

Our guards have athleticism to reach LBs and safeties in second level and blow them back.
Average guards hope to stone wall at second level but our guys are doing so good it blasts open monster sized holes that perfectly fit Gore's running style.

They spot lighted Iupati doing this during game with replays and Mayock saying he could be best in the NFL

The entire Oline did a number on the Seahawks front four running the football. Baalke is going to have some tough decisions to make in a few years trying to lock up Iupati and A.Davis along with trying to keep Bowman long term. That 2010 draft was great outside of drafting Taylor Mays.

Agreed. Outside of Mays, it was a great draft. But I don't think it will be as hard to keep some of these guys as you think. Players like good coaching. They like a winning team. They like classy ownership. They like nice places to live and work. The 49ers offer a unique combination of all four. In the past? When we were losing? Players couldn't wait to get out.

Now it's different...