LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice to be back in the win column. ;-)

1) Alex Smith running tally: Stats after Eagles game in 2010. Now a complete 32 games or 2 full seasons worth of games. 32 Games, 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating. Alex came through on the TD drive, but he still had a rough night. As fun as it would be to just rip him a new one, I think we need to give some credit here to Seattle. They were BLANKETING the WRs out there. Seattle has a very, very good secondary. You could see Alex just shaking his head because nobody was shaking free of coverage. I also think there was ALOT of defensive holding out there that went FAR beyond 5 yards and Moss was CLEARLY interfered with early in the game on what would have been a first down. The INT was really an aberration for Alex. He VERY seldom throws picks in the Red-Zone. Bad throw? Yes. Bad Decision? Yes. Was Moss Wide Open? Yes. However, Alex was flushed out when Moss broke open. He may have been able to stand in and make the throw, but I'm not sure of that. A bad play tho regardless of how you look at it. Rough night for Alex against a very, very good defense.

2) O-Line: Holy Sh*t. Wow. That was the #2 ranked rush D in the NFL. Those holes were HUGE! Gore had a big day but he had truck sized lanes to run through. Over 170 yards against a very good run D. The sacks were all coverage sacks. Big, big night for that O-Line.

3) Frank/Kendall: Ya gotta be happy for Frank after all these years to finally get a Line and OC who really know how to use him. He's got 601 yards right now only through week 7, but that's not the impressive part. What's impressive is his 5.8 yards per carry. He is getting rest and isn't being overworked and is STILL getting his yards. What I love about him is that while he HAS lost a step, what made him SOOO good to begin with was his vision and patience. Give him a hole and he'll find it and exploit it even if he isn't making as many players miss. Kendall is averaging 5.2 yards per carry. Very often when you look at teams that like to grind it out and play good defense, they are only averaging about 4 yards per carry or less. To have both backs over 5 and the primary back at almost 6 is a testament to how good these backs are, how good the scheme is and how fantastic that line is playing.

4) Run D: Trying to figure this one out. Back to Back 100 yard rushers. Now Lynch is a monster, so I can almost forgive them...but they were also getting pushed back by the O'line of Seattle. Thay played a light box alot vs the Packers, Lions, and even Buffalo, but not in the last two games. Teams are starting to run right at Justin. I'm not really that concerned about it because this week it was Lynch and last week most of those yards were in the 4th quarter, but it is something to pay attention to.

5) Aldon: He didn't light it up on the stat-sheet....but WOW. When he gets a 1-on1 on a tackle, it just isn't fair. He owned the guy on the sack, almost did it again on the next play and then got doubleteamed in the endzone (and I don't think that was a chop block). He has also played very well against the run.

6) The Safety that wasn't: Been arguing with peeps on Facebook all morning about this one. Very good move. Just ask the Seahawks what they would rather have...a chance at the Ball on an Onside kick even though they would need 2 scores or the 49ers in Victory Formation to end the game. You have a chance at the ball one way and no chance the other.

7) WRs: Rough game for them. Just couldn't get open. I think losing Manningham made a difference as he's much more "sudden" than the rest and can usually break loose. Kyle Williams has quick feet, but he doesn't really separate. Moss was open in the endzone, but the pressure got to Alex and he made a bad throw. Again tho...you have to give credit to the Seahawks for being the Seahawks. Thats what they did to New England last week. If the refs aren't going to call interference or defensive holding, I don't see them changing any time soon.

8) Gameplan: I alluded to this before, but that was a masterful offensive game plan. Conventional wisdom was that the Seahawks "pake you pass" on them. Those were Tom Brady's words. It has alot to do with playing a 1 deep safety and relying on those big corners to maul the WRs on the outside. That allows for Safety help in the run game. The Niners ran anyway and were creative enough in teh way that they did so that it nullified the advantage. Frank was breaking into space all night.

9) Ginn: I hope that was a sign of things to come. We can really use him and those big returns in the second half. Kyle wasn't cutting it on Kickoffs.

10) NFC West: DAMN it feels good to put the Seahawks ona plane with an "L". 0-3 in the division and the Niners can do no worse that a division split with them. That mean the Niners will most likely have the Tie-Breaker when it comes down to the division as the Hawks can do no better than 3-3 in division. Even if the 'hawks win all 3 of their remaining division games, all the Niners need to do is win 3 of 5 and they hold the tie-breaker. Love it.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 10:30 AM ]
Glad you pointed out the PI and holding on Seattle's DB's.
Kick return coverage was much better than in the last 3 games. Seely and his guys did good
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jreff22:
Glad you pointed out the PI and holding on Seattle's DB's.

I hope the league issues a statement on it if they have really been doing that every game. get the refs to tighten up on that.

On Aldon, I'm almost scared to say it but I am almost wishing we would go to a 4-3 D and just let Aldon pin his ears back every play, he is still athletic enough that we could still be a "hybrid" D and drop him into coverage occasionally but IMHO we ARE wasting Aldon's talents. I'd almost argue that we could start Willis, Bowman and Grant as our 3 LBs, Aldon, Justin, Ray Mac, and Brooks as the DL.

Wishful thinking I know but one can dream, cant he? But my rational side is Aldon is becoming our own Terrell Suggs but I also know we simply aren't using him the same as Suggs so I'm just like when comes to our pass rush.
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simply have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simplyb have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

Especially against a great secondary like Seattle's, which would certainly take advantage of any riskily thrown balls. Excellent post Marv! Always appreciative of your analysis.!

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simplyb have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

What? Reason? Logic? There is no place for it here!!

But seriously, that pick was on Alex. Not good. But he ran the offense well. Without his in- game management, Gore does not blow up like he did.

But more seriously, I love you guys.
If we had on OC that knows how to use Gore then where was he Vs the Giants and Vikings? Game plan was definately better, and adjustments were actually made.

Alex's pick doesn't really bother me. Sure it was a mistake on his part and it took points off the board, but I think our redzone issues are because he won't just stick it in there. In the redzone everything is more congested and that doesn't bode we'll for him. I WANT to see him keep trying to stick in there. It's what good QBs do, and if you can't, then you ARE a game manager QB.

Ginn did make a difference on ST. Big drop off to Kyle Williams. Williams can do it in a pinch, but Ginns sole reason being on the roster is his return skills.

As far as the run D, I think it will work out. Giants got extra yards in garbage time and they let up. Lynch is just a beast, and their OC stayed with it, probably out of necessity.

Oline did great. I am particulars impressed with Boone. No penalties or sacks that I can remember all year. He doesn't get pushed back into the pocket like Snyder did (lol @ arizona) and he has tremendous athleticism pulling and moving in space. And boy, when he arrives, he is like an earth mover. Great development going on there. Props to OL coaches, all three of them.
[ Edited by GoldandGarnet on Oct 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM ]
love your threads marvin!

Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

What? Reason? Logic? There is no place for it here!!

But seriously, that pick was on Alex. Not good. But he ran the offense well. Without his in- game management, Gore does not blow up like he did.

But more seriously, I love you guys.

LOL.

Ya...the pick was on him 100% and he knew it as soon as he threw it. He saw Randy back there but didn't see Browner leave his man. He was trying to put the game away by scoring a TD and made a bad mistake. Simple as that.

I think he had his eyeline on Moss running across the field and Browner came from the other direction. Never saw him. Not an excuse...that should happen...but I think that's what happened.
Hey Marv, I know you mentioned that the OL played great, but could you possibly elaborate on how Iupati played specifically? I didn't get a chance to key in on him while watching last night, and someone on one of the Seahawks forums said that he had a monster game.
Originally posted by Sinsation:
love your threads marvin!

Originally posted by Byisgod:
Hey Marv, I know you mentioned that the OL played great, but could you possibly elaborate on how Iupati played specifically? I didn't get a chance to key in on him while watching last night, and someone on one of the Seahawks forums said that he had a monster game.

I'd have to go over it again as I wasn't watching any one specidic lineman. All I can say is that whenever any member of the line needed to move someone, 90% of the time that defender got moved. Can't ask for better than that.
  • Jiks
Thank you Marvin. That was refreshing. I wish most people would see things rationally like you. Great post as always.
Share 49ersWebzone