LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Well...what you're missing here is that no other team in the NFL is built to do what Seattle did last night. They have a 6'3" corner and a 6'4" corner who can both cover very well, a fantastic free Safety and a good strong safety. Those HUGE, physical corners jam and HOLD the WRs and keep them out of their routes and disrupt timing. How do you think they shut down the Packers (before "the play") and beat the Patriots?

It's nice to say "just blanket the WRs and sell out against the run", but every team in the NFL would do that in every game if they could. Trouble is, very few teams can actually do that. There is a reason the Seahawks D was ranked so high.

Tom Brady said that they "forced you to pass" by playing 1 deep safety and devoting the extra defender to the run. Then their corners shut down your WRs leaving nowhere to go with the ball. They're LBs were vacating the middle to double the passing game which is what left Frank Gore WIDE OPEN underneath.

Tom Brady put 395 yards up on those giant corners

...on 58 attempts with 2 INTs...and they LOST.

News flash....Alex isn't Tom Brady. Not suggesting that.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 4:41 PM ]
Well...what you're missing here is that no other team in the NFL is built to do what Seattle did last night. They have a 6'3" corner and a 6'4" corner who can both cover very well, a fantastic free Safety and a good strong safety. Those HUGE, physical corners jam and HOLD the WRs and keep them out of their routes and disrupt timing. How do you think they shut down the Packers (before "the play") and beat the Patriots?

It's nice to say "just blanket the WRs and sell out against the run", but every team in the NFL would do that in every game if they could. Trouble is, very few teams can actually do that. There is a reason the Seahawks D was ranked so high.

Tom Brady said that they "forced you to pass" by playing 1 deep safety and devoting the extra defender to the run. Then their corners shut down your WRs leaving nowhere to go with the ball. They're LBs were vacating the middle to double the passing game which is what left Frank Gore WIDE OPEN underneath.

Tom Brady put 395 yards up on those giant corners

with 2 INT's
Originally posted by Young2Rice:

Yeah they have good secondary but there were holes in their defense. We just missed putting the ball in those holes.

We literrally left 14 points on the board. This game isn't close if Alex hits the bomb in the first quarter and the TD to moss. Those are "gimmie" plays we have to take advantage of. Especially when we are incapable of making the "WOW" plays in the passing game.

I said in my very first post that Alex had a rough game, but come on guys...give Seattle some credit here. They are a VERY, VERY good defense.

Yeah they have good secondary but there were holes in their defense. We just missed putting the ball in those holes.

We literrally left 14 points on the board. This game isn't close if Alex hits the bomb in the first quarter and the TD to moss. Those are "gimmie" plays we have to take advantage of. Especially when we are incapable of making the "WOW" plays in the passing game.

On the first deep pass to Williams it seemed like Williams slowed up close to the end. May not have got to it still, but it was odd to not see him run through to the pass the whole time.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

New Flash their defense sucks.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Question for Marvin and Jeff.

What will you guys say if Alex has two more games like the last two ?

I said in my very first post that Alex had a rough game, but come on guys...give Seattle some credit here. They are a VERY, VERY good defense.

I know, i said "they have a good secondary" as well.

But no D is impenetrable. Just got to find the holes. Yes they do have a VERY VERY good defense. Which mean we have to take advantage of the VERY VERY good scoring opportunities we have. They don't come often against good teams like this, and we will face good Defenses in the future.
I agree with most of what you have said except the first point. Don't leave out certain numbers just to make a point. Include all of 2010 in your calculations or leave out 2010 altogether. You are trying to prove a point that he is improved, but why start there? Because that's when his numbers improved. I would say base your values on the Harbaugh era, or include all of 2010. It bothers me so much that it is almost unbearable to continue reading. This would be like, in my line of work, the steriliy is negative, and the cell viability is good, but the endotoxin is above specification. I am not going to include the endotoxin value because it might kill the patient....

That being said, i agree with most of the analysis. SEA defense is no joke. If they keep continuity like we do, we may have the Pitt and Baltimore of the West Coast very soon. Have to love beating the Hawks since Carroll is a complete douche!

LOL. Yeah...the two picks and the complete abandonment of their run game had nothing to do with it. SMDH.

Then you keep playing him because Kaep ain't ready. I'm not trying to sing Alexs praise here. I was critical of him in my initial post, but ya gotta give credit where its due sometimes (in this case the Seattle D).

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

LOL. Yeah...the two picks and the complete abandonment of their run game had nothing to do with it. SMDH.

they had the lead but defense couldn't hold them. true or not true ?

I know, i said "they have a good secondary" as well.

But no D is impenetrable. Just got to find the holes. Yes they do have a VERY VERY good defense. Which mean we have to take advantage of the VERY VERY good scoring opportunities we have. They don't come often against good teams like this, and we will face good Defenses in the future.

This is true...and I HAVE said Alex had a rough night. I'm just saying not every team can replicate what the Seattle D did last night.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Then you keep playing him because Kaep ain't ready. I'm not trying to sing Alexs praise here. I was critical of him in my initial post, but ya gotta give credit where its due sometimes (in this case the Seattle D).

wow so you would keep playing a guy even though he is playing terrible. And you dont know weather kap is ready or not, only the coaching staff knows that answer. A little biased aren't we ?
This is true...and I HAVE said Alex had a rough night. I'm just saying not every team can replicate what the Seattle D did last night.

Actually, SEA replicated what Minnesota, NYJ and the Giants did to us.

That is, cut off the underneath routes, the wheel routes, and VDs money plays. Then leave plays open which Alex will, and has, missed, such as deep throws one on one.

Then just stack the box vs. Gore. Its a simple game plan but has worked 4 of the 5 past games against our passing game.

If he looks like he did against NY we will have problems and Jim may need to make a change. He wasn't horrible against Sea baring in mind they have a top 3 D and are divisional opponents (which is always hard).

I give him a C against Sea but sometimes its all you need to win.

If he bounces back and has 2 games with 250ish with a few TD's will you leave it alone?
Share 49ersWebzone