LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 311 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by pitseleh:
I remember a replay of an incomplete pass showing how "physical" the dbs were. The announcers said that's perfectly legal since its within 5 yards. The contact was at the first down marker.... it was 1st and 10....

Yep, Mayock kept bragging about how physical which they are but at the same time didn't realize or mention that it was past the 5 yards. If every DB could do that after 5 yards it would be much tougher to throw and rac up passing yards. That's how it was in the past. It's a rule that favored offense. You use to be able to be physical down field, no it's a penalty although they missed a lot of them.
good post man. I have to remember that the seahawks defense was amazing...but still...alex looked pretty bad...no lie...hahaha
Originally posted by Marvin49:

4) Run D: Trying to figure this one out. Back to Back 100 yard rushers. Now Lynch is a monster, so I can almost forgive them...but they were also getting pushed back by the O'line of Seattle. Thay played a light box alot vs the Packers, Lions, and even Buffalo, but not in the last two games. Teams are starting to run right at Justin. I'm not really that concerned about it because this week it was Lynch and last week most of those yards were in the 4th quarter, but it is something to pay attention to.

We start off good then trail off as the game goes along. And teams start to pass often so the run catches us off guard.

We may need to use a better rotation and keep our studs fresh for the end of the game. Also, keep our heads in the game and watch for the run.
  • dj43
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Yes. There were several times that you could see him go through all of his progressions and then simplyb have nowhere to go with the ball. You can make an arguement about him throwing players open, but after throwing 3 picks last week he wasn't going to make the mistake that killed them.

What? Reason? Logic? There is no place for it here!!

But seriously, that pick was on Alex. Not good. But he ran the offense well. Without his in- game management, Gore does not blow up like he did.

But more seriously, I love you guys.

LOL.

Ya...the pick was on him 100% and he knew it as soon as he threw it. He saw Randy back there but didn't see Browner leave his man. He was trying to put the game away by scoring a TD and made a bad mistake. Simple as that.

I think he had his eyeline on Moss running across the field and Browner came from the other direction. Never saw him. Not an excuse...that should happen...but I think that's what happened.

Looking at it again tonight, when Alex should have thrown the ball to Moss was just when he got flushed out of the pocket. I doubt he would have been able to get the ball off at that moment. Still, if he had thrown it up high and let Randy sky for it, Browner might not have been able to get to it. Browner is 6'4" with some hops so he might have been able to knock it down anyway.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Agreed. The fans dogging Smith mercilessly seem to forget or dismiss the fact that we were facing the NFL's #4 ranked defense.

Re-watched the game. Seattle's CB's mugged the WR's. I see the haters are back in force. They'll get shut up again.
Thanks buddy. I look forward to your breakdown every week. Fresh, objective, and not filled with extreme hyperbole. Keep it up.
  • Jiks
K, i just remembered this. I was streaming the game. It was 4th and 4(ish) and the SeaHawks had the ball. They punted. A flag was thrown. My cpu then proceeded to lag, but all I got out of it was the ref. motioning a false start on our defense. What happened there? By the time I got a better link, they had the ball back.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
K, i just remembered this. I was streaming the game. It was 4th and 4(ish) and the SeaHawks had the ball. They punted. A flag was thrown. My cpu then proceeded to lag, but all I got out of it was the ref. motioning a false start on our defense. What happened there? By the time I got a better link, they had the ball back.

Illegal formation
I didnt quite understand it but someone lined up over center and we got popped for it and Seattle got the first down.
I wonder how much of the SEA DBs contact was when our QB was out of the pocket. I know they got away with some but some may have been while the QB was not in the pocket. DBs can bump all they want in this case as long as the ball isn't in the air.

Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thanks Marvin.

We played very good football teams back to back and one more to come. It will be interesting to see how many Seahawks won't play their next game.

Coaching - Making effective half-time adjustments saved us last season and worked again last night. At first I was upset JH took points off the board BUT later changed my mind when the reasons came forward. That was smart.

Special Teams - Andy Lee 60+ yards when we needed it. Ginn on KO, looks like he's getting into a groove. I think he's ready to break one open.

OLine - Excellent on run blocking. The one play where Tukafu[sp] pancaked a defender was great. Boone has surpassed most of the expectations people had about him. Goodwin had his best game as a Niner. Staley played very well and so did Iupati. ADavis is much better than last year and still improving. Those guys are tough as nails.

Justin - Played better than last week, he seemed to be able to put some pressure on Wilson [who is playing very good football, rookie or not]

Also - Miller's blocking was very effective.

Ray Mac - It seems he's almost disappeared

Kap - I think he is the future QB BUT have reservations on his short and Mid-range passes

Alex - I'v been a supporter of him since day one. BUT more & more he disappoints. His passes are sailing high again and I don't know if it is his finger BUT even if
if it is - I hope we are making alternative plans.

Thanks again.

yea we have an alternativeplan ,we are going to win every game next year , I hope thats good nuff tho !
Not hitting a huge, wide open target in Randy Moss, is unexcusable, I'm sorry! But that was flat out pathetic! Smith flushed himself out of the pocket for holding onto the ball wayyyy to long. Don't know about you guys but that play is a reflection of Alex Smith's career.
#2 Comment - Frank amazes me. You would think after two major knee injuries in college his shelf life as an NFL back would have expired by now. The guy defies description, he gets through the hole so low the defense can't get a shot at his knees. Sure he's lost a step, but who hasn't? Kendall? The one thing that has come through to me about this player is that he has heart. When Jacobs starts getting reps welcome to Pound City.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
I didnt quite understand it but someone lined up over center and we got popped for it and Seattle got the first down.

Dobbs clearly lined up over the center which you can't do. I already knew it was a rule... think I've seen it called in one of our games. It's a player safety thing.

Found this:
In 2009, defenses were not allowed to line up directly over the snapper on special teams. It was legal for a defender's helmet to be across from the snapper's shoulder pads. Now, the entire body of the defender must be outside the snapper's shoulder pads. A violation would be 5 yards for illegal formation.
Originally posted by dj43:
Looking at it again tonight, when Alex should have thrown the ball to Moss was just when he got flushed out of the pocket. I doubt he would have been able to get the ball off at that moment. Still, if he had thrown it up high and let Randy sky for it, Browner might not have been able to get to it. Browner is 6'4" with some hops so he might have been able to knock it down anyway.

Throwing across your body (right hand qb rolling left) isn't easy either. I re-watched the play in slow motion a few times... Alex looked Crabtree, Gore, then vernon, then delanie, then gore and none of them were open. No idea why he didn't check Moss... not sure he could see him in the pocket behind vernon/delanie and the 3 defenders hovering around them guys.

Side note else notice Haggans was in there for a few plays for Aldon? #51 I think it was a 1st and 2nd down and they were run plays. Then Aldon came in on 3rd down I believe. Maybe we start giving him a few breathers a game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 20, 2012 at 5:33 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone