LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Frank Gore: "Look He's open,throw it to Moss!!!
I said in the off season that we will learn everything we need to know about Smith this season.

It seems like we are seeing a lot of evidence now that nothing got better in the risk aversion category. Still has 10 weeks to figure it out.
Originally posted by dj43:
Looking at it again tonight, when Alex should have thrown the ball to Moss was just when he got flushed out of the pocket. I doubt he would have been able to get the ball off at that moment. Still, if he had thrown it up high and let Randy sky for it, Browner might not have been able to get to it. Browner is 6'4" with some hops so he might have been able to knock it down anyway.

It's funny how some automatically think a QB can see the field as well as fans in the stands or on TV...as if all those other players are suddenly lying down on the field instead of standing in his way. My opinion is that he could have thrown a lob about when he had to scramble left but that would have assumed he saw Moss, knew that no DB could easily drift back, etc. So easy from our couches!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
** glad to see the fullback Miller get more playing time.
*** I hate seeing Leonard Davis at TE or as an extra blocker he is slow and allows pressure when it is a passing play.
**** Seattle was holding and the rule change occured when NEW ENGLAND used to beat up on Peyton Manning, so I donot see how they got away with it all nite.

Alex Smith has reached his full potential we will not see him be anything more than we have seen the last two years. Is it better to go with Kaepernick? I know one thing the wide outs would prefer Kaeper. Vernon loves Alex.
Originally posted by GORO:
** glad to see the fullback Miller get more playing time.
*** I hate seeing Leonard Davis at TE or as an extra blocker he is slow and allows pressure when it is a passing play.
**** Seattle was holding and the rule change occured when NEW ENGLAND used to beat up on Peyton Manning, so I donot see how they got away with it all nite.

Alex Smith has reached his full potential we will not see him be anything more than we have seen the last two years. Is it better to go with Kaepernick? I know one thing the wide outs would prefer Kaeper. Vernon loves Alex.

Was with you up until the bolded. And while his underwhelming games may suggest the bolded is true? I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. Honestly don't. He works too hard and wants it too much for me to think he is maxed out. It's just an agree to disagree. You could have it right.. or not. We'll see...
LOL Uncle Rico Smith!
  • GORO
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Was with you up until the bolded. And while his underwhelming games may suggest the bolded is true? I don't think he's reached his ceiling yet. Honestly don't. He works too hard and wants it too much for me to think he is maxed out. It's just an agree to disagree. You could have it right.. or not. We'll see...

I have wanted to believe that he can still be a franchise Qb. How many 300 yd passing games does he have? I believe it is 4 in his carear. Andrew Luck has 3 in his first 4 games this year.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by dj43:
Looking at it again tonight, when Alex should have thrown the ball to Moss was just when he got flushed out of the pocket. I doubt he would have been able to get the ball off at that moment. Still, if he had thrown it up high and let Randy sky for it, Browner might not have been able to get to it. Browner is 6'4" with some hops so he might have been able to knock it down anyway.

It's funny how some automatically think a QB can see the field as well as fans in the stands or on TV...as if all those other players are suddenly lying down on the field instead of standing in his way. My opinion is that he could have thrown a lob about when he had to scramble left but that would have assumed he saw Moss, knew that no DB could easily drift back, etc. So easy from our couches!

I agree with this which is why I don't usually get on Alex for not always seeing open players. A QBs perspective isn't anywhere near what the camera gives us. What I am not happy is when he does see a receiver and decides to wait too long or not throw it at all, especially during man coverage. In man coverage, a properly placed ball is always advantage offense.
I have wanted to believe that he can still be a franchise Qb. How many 300 yd passing games does he have? I believe it is 4 in his carear. Andrew Luck has 3 in his first 4 games this year.

If Luck played for Harbaugh he would have none this year. Just a different type of offense. His average in college was Alex-like. Not comparing the two though as Luck may be one of the best rookie QBs ever.

First, let me ask you.. how many teams actually have a "franchise QB" ?

If Luck played for Harbaugh he would have none this year. Just a different type of offense. His average in college was Alex-like. Not comparing the two though as Luck may be one of the best rookie QBs ever.

Alex wasn't always playing for JH.
Originally posted by Joecool:

Alex wasn't always playing for JH.

LOL...no, he was playing for Jimmy Raye and playing lights out in the Red Zone!
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Are these elite numbers now?

32 Games (2 seasons), 883 Att, 558 Comp, 6,406 Yards, 42 Tds, 13 INTs, 94.69 QB Rating.

Oh wait, stats are for losers!

Not sure what point you are trying to make...

The first half was serious...those are pretty significant and impressive numbers esp. given the conservative nature of our offense coupled with significant turnover in players, injuries, etc. I'm wondering how the "elite" QB's match up statistically despite their "aggressive" nature of offensive philosophy.

The second part was a Justin Smith joke-reference.
We need to be prepared for pass plays like the one Turbin was open for.

Hey Marvin - Keep up the fine work.

AND PLEASE POSTERS - ENOUGH W/ THE ALEX CRAP. MOVE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
First, let me ask you.. how many teams actually have a "franchise QB" ?

I'd say 10 teams have franchis Qb's, eleven if you count Peyton Manning. If Alex Smith was to be traded what would be the asking price?
Share 49ersWebzone