LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 315 users in the forums

Week 7: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SJniner7:
I agree with most of what you have said except the first point. Don't leave out certain numbers just to make a point. Include all of 2010 in your calculations or leave out 2010 altogether. You are trying to prove a point that he is improved, but why start there? Because that's when his numbers improved. I would say base your values on the Harbaugh era, or include all of 2010. It bothers me so much that it is almost unbearable to continue reading. This would be like, in my line of work, the steriliy is negative, and the cell viability is good, but the endotoxin is above specification. I am not going to include the endotoxin value because it might kill the patient....

That being said, i agree with most of the analysis. SEA defense is no joke. If they keep continuity like we do, we may have the Pitt and Baltimore of the West Coast very soon. Have to love beating the Hawks since Carroll is a complete douche!

Well...I've been doing these every week for quite some time now and it wasn't just an arbitrary game I picked out of the blue. I was making a point initially that Alexs turnaround didn't start when Harbaugh took over. It started in the "We want Carr" game against Philly. His demeaner changed IN THAT GAME. It was almost like, "ya know what? F*ck it!!". THAT is why I chose that game. He also threw 2 picks in that game so If I was just looking to inflate the numbers I'd take that game OUT of the equasion.

If I just did the Harbaugh Era He's be at 30 TDs and 10 INTs which ain't bad either. The entire point tho was to show that it did NOT start with Harbaugh.
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
...on 58 attempts with 2 INTs...and they LOST.

News flash....Alex isn't Tom Brady. Not suggesting that.

New Flash their defense sucks.

LOL. Yeah...the two picks and the complete abandonment of their run game had nothing to do with it. SMDH.

they had the lead but defense couldn't hold them. true or not true ?

Of course it's true but you are changing the subject to try and make your point and it has nothing to do with the argument.

BRADY STRUGGLED AGAINST THAT D AS WELL. He threw for 395 yards but also threw it 58 freakin' times and threw 2 costly picks.

Drew Brees had 462 yards in the playoffs last year, but he had to throw it 63 freakin times to do it. I don't care how good you are...you are gonna give up yards if the team throws it 60 freakin times.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:00 PM ]
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
That drive in the second half was the best strategic drive I have seen from SF in a while - quick throws to the backs, running the ball, and finding Delanie Walker (who we haven't seen lately with the ball).

I was waiting for that to be mentioned. A lot of checkdowns just taking what the defense gave us rather than forcing it, Felt like some vintage West Coast Offense. I think LaMichael James would do a lot more damage in that role in the open field.
Originally posted by five1oh:
Originally posted by jimmythegreekjr:
That drive in the second half was the best strategic drive I have seen from SF in a while - quick throws to the backs, running the ball, and finding Delanie Walker (who we haven't seen lately with the ball).

I was waiting for that to be mentioned. A lot of checkdowns just taking what the defense gave us rather than forcing it, Felt like some vintage West Coast Offense. I think LaMichael James would do a lot more damage in that role in the open field.

Yes but right now he's get run over when trying to pass protect...which is why I think he's still inactive in games. He needs to get bigger.
Nice post as always Marvin! I had a feeling that Seattle wanted to take the pass away, or play opportunistically (hoping for interceptions), and play the run game more straight up. There was little pressure on Smith during the game and I think our line surprised them at times with the run blocking.

Am really beginning to believe the injured finger is more that has been expressed publicly but as Harbaugh mentioned, Smith calls a great game at the line and they can't be as successful with CK at this point.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:
Question for Marvin and Jeff.

What will you guys say if Alex has two more games like the last two ?

If he looks like he did against NY we will have problems and Jim may need to make a change. He wasn't horrible against Sea baring in mind they have a top 3 D and are divisional opponents (which is always hard).

I give him a C against Sea but sometimes its all you need to win.

If he bounces back and has 2 games with 250ish with a few TD's will you leave it alone?

I think he was horrible against Seattle. Had the Seattle WRs not dropped some passes we would have lost. I give him a D for that game.

I probably will be quite about it but I still deep down inside think they should give Kap the team and let him go through is growing pains. In no way do I ever see Alex winning a super bowl, last year was the closest he will get and KW ruined it for him and us.

If he looks like he did against NY we will have problems and Jim may need to make a change. He wasn't horrible against Sea baring in mind they have a top 3 D and are divisional opponents (which is always hard).

If he bounces back and has 2 games with 250ish with a few TD's will you leave it alone?

I think he was horrible against Seattle. Had the Seattle WRs not dropped some passes we would have lost. I give him a D for that game.

I probably will be quite about it but I still deep down inside think they should give Kap the team and let him go through is growing pains. In no way do I ever see Alex winning a super bowl, last year was the closest he will get and KW ruined it for him and us.

Gore rescued the team and we escaped with a win
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Ever think having a Gore might rescue Brady and Rodgers? Having a strong running game is not a bad thing and its the best thing to use to win a game.
Marvin, haven't re-watched the game yet. About to now. Couldn't have said it better myself and you hit on all the topics I would talk about and summed it up nicely. Thanks as always.

Edit: one thing you missed on and someone else brought this up was that Alex did a great job of audibling and getting us in the right play. How many of those big runs were due to alex audibling because he seen the way the defense was lined up? A lot... he was audibling all night long. It doesn't show up on the stat sheet but it's a big reason we got the win.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 19, 2012 at 5:15 PM ]
  • jdean
  • Veteran
I just watched the 1st half on game rewind. Did they change the rule about no contact after 5 yards ? It sure looked like thy must have. Either that or the replacement refs came back.

Ever think having a Gore might rescue Brady and Rodgers? Having a strong running game is not a bad thing and its the best thing to use to win a game.

for the 9ers...its the only way
Originally posted by jdean:
I just watched the 1st half on game rewind. Did they change the rule about no contact after 5 yards ? It sure looked like thy must have. Either that or the replacement refs came back.

I know a few times our WRs looked like gunners on a punt the way they were pushing them around and holding them.

He wasn't horrible, he had one very bad overthrow and one non-see turned into INT. It happens to every QB all the time, problem is you guys dont see that or dont acknowledge it. Brady had 2 INTs against Sea.

When we get the coaches film I think you need to watch it and look for the PI that was never called. Its not a knock on Alex or the WR's.....its a knock on the officiating. But it does tell why I wanted a big bodied WR, so they can fight back against the big Sea DB's. We lost on the initial contact and with that Alex will go from first read to second read to checkdown in a hurry. And with that Sea front he cant sit around and wait, they are talented.

Go back and watch the INT. Vernon was the first read and Alex looked, not open so he moved to Gore. Gore was covered and Alex started to get out of the pocket, once he saw Moss it was too late. But he is going through progressions, problem is with DB's that big you cant lob the ball over and Moss was too far over for a bullet.

Short week, tough opponent.....we got the W. I'm fine with it.

for the 9ers...its the only way

You know that's not true so why spew the BS all the time. If Kap struggles are you going to s**t talk him in every thread until we find a new phantom guy you can talk up?

This
Share 49ersWebzone