LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 307 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Man, worst then Lions and Raiders? What till they start stacking the box on our 30 year old RB, because we can't throw.

You mean like the Saints did against us?

Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Still, #29 passing is pretty horrible. We have to get better if we're going to make any noise if we make the playoffs.

Who cares
Lions are #2 in passing, Raiders are #9, colts are #11
all 3 will not make the playoffs

It means we are in deep s**t if our Defense or ST's has a bad day.

you mean like the saints game last season?

i think he means the NYG game

Agreed we need to improve the production in the passing attack. But you think the way to do that is to start a 2nd year project QB who has thus far only shown the ability to run?
not true, alex can't make that 36 yard throw kaep made against the giants. kaep has demonstrated plenty of ability to throw accurately on the run going to either side, something alex has never done.

kaep was dropping dimes on receivers during the preseason and might have easily had 2 passing td's during the regular season if his receivers had managed to hold on to the ball and/or the reception wasn't called off by penalty..

kaep has better vision to find receivers than alex.

and, at least with kaep you've got a qb willng to take chances, an attribute absolutely necessary to increased passing yardage. kaep can make those short passes alex does, me made those throws at nevada on a regular basis.

alex's passing ratings are inflated by his ultra conservative play, they do not reflect a valid comparison to elite passers in the league. the niners need a qb who can be counted on to make things happen when the team is down.

of course nothing is guaranteed, but kaep's passing skills, in a production sense, make him closer than alex to the type of qb this team needs, one that can improve our options beyond checkdown passes.
[ Edited by scarletandgold on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM ]
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Yeah. I just checked that, too. Now I'm looking for YPA rankings....

According to ESPN they're tied with the packers at #10

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Man, worst then Lions and Raiders? What till they start stacking the box on our 30 year old RB, because we can't throw.

You mean like the Saints did against us?

i think he means the NYG game

Which one? Last post season where we averaged 5.3 yards per carry?
Or a couple weeks ago where we averaged 5.2 yards per carry?

I think the play calling was more to blame than anything else in both of those games when it comes to the offense
12 runs when youre averaging 5.2 yards per carry is just dumb. Roman was terrible that week. And putting Kaep in every other play screwed our whole offense.

I'm not saying we need to turn into 50 attempts a game, but we have to balance it out with the running game.
I think this ranking means more towards the end of the season, and based on our ypa,id be shocked if we finshed where we are now. If we are ranked 29th going into the playoffs thats a problem. Can anyone name me the last superbowl winner who was ranked worse than 25th in passing YPG, you gotta go back a long ways.
I'm not saying we need to turn into 50 attempts a game, but we have to balance it out with the running game.

Balanced...so like 199 pass attempts and 210 rush attempts would be fairly balanced?
[ Edited by Jakemall on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:24 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Nvm. Just checked. Under 30 yards. We are also 30th in attempts per game (effectively tied for 31st).

There's a reason for that.

Frank Gore is still relevant. And running is always safer.

Especially when you don't trust the QB.
there are maybe 3 guys I would trust to throw the ball in certain situations.....outside of them I would ride Frank over every QB to get the job done safely

running isn't sexy, but its the best way to win IMO

Run games don't win super bowls anymore, bad ass QBs win super bowls.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran

"bad ass" defenses > "bad ass" offenses
[ Edited by ImaMod on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:27 PM ]
Those saying Smith is playing "smarter" than some other QBs in the league? Did you not see that INT against the Seahawks on Thursday? It was a perfect pass, as if the Seahawks DB was the intended receiver.... Bench smith now!!! FAP For KAEP!!!!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Balanced...so like 199 pass attempts and 210 rush attempts would be fairly balanced?

You got me, I didn't realize that. That's good to hear.

i think our balance should be based on keeping the other team off balanced, we can run when we need to run, we need to work on being able to throw in the same regard.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

"bad ass" defenses > "bad ass" offenses

bad ass QB > bad ass defenses

look at what Rodgers did to the Texans last week.
Nvm. Just checked. Under 30 yards. We are also 30th in attempts per game (effectively tied for 31st).

Our coaches trust him, thus him starting. That's all that matters..... for now.

Originally posted by cutSmithNOW:
Those saying Smith is playing "smarter" than some other QBs in the league? Did you not see that INT against the Seahawks on Thursday? It was a perfect pass, as if the Seahawks DB was the intended receiver.... Bench smith now!!! FAP For KAEP!!!!

wow, so how do you really feel about Alex Smith,
[ Edited by qwestlove94 on Oct 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM ]
bad ass QB > bad ass defenses

look at what Rodgers did to the Texans last week.

Look at what Rodgers did to the Seachickens (a team very similar to us)....
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by kidash98:

Our coaches trust him, thus him starting. That's all that matters..... for now.

Its what they have for now until they feel CK is ready, and they already tried replacing him once and Im sure they will try again in the off season.
Share 49ersWebzone