There are 212 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by qwestlove94:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
i think he means the NYG game

Maybe...but I can point out more games where the defense or STs failed and the offense picked up the slack than he can point out games that we lost because of it...something to do with being 13-3 last season and 5-2 this season.

but by all means, if people want to feel the sky is falling, let them.

The sky is not falling, but to say the Pass Ranking is worthless is just ignorant when you consider that going back to 2001 about 70% of the superbowl winners were in the top 15 in passing.There are anomolies like the Ravens/giants/steelers, but none of them were ranked lower than 23rd in passing. Makes even more since when you realize that the last 9 superbowl winners were The Manning Bros/ Brees/ Brady/ Rodgers/ Rothlisberger, all of whom are future hall of famers reputable passing attacks. Im not saying we cant win the superbowl with this formula, but it is very unlikely that we will win it with a 29th ranked passing game.To our credit, we play in a tough division defensively where all the teams are pretty pedestrian in the passing game ( Seahawks (31) Rams (25) Cards (26) ). Id bet money that we dont finish the year ranked 29th.

Any idea what the difference in passing yards per game is between us at 29 and whoever is sitting at 20?

Bout 30 yards
sorry to keep bringin up last years giants game too but......

You mean the one where we had two fumbles, some bad calls, 1 of our starting WRs and our #2 TE's mouth wired shut?

Yeah, Alex should be able to win with a blind fold and both hands tied behind his back...

Ah. The "Dukes Myth" variant.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Nvm. Just checked. Under 30 yards. We are also 30th in attempts per game (effectively tied for 31st).

There's a reason for that.

Maybe...but I can point out more games where the defense or STs failed and the offense picked up the slack than he can point out games that we lost because of it...something to do with being 13-3 last season and 5-2 this season.

The sky is not falling, but to say the Pass Ranking is worthless is just ignorant when you consider that going back to 2001 about 70% of the superbowl winners were in the top 15 in passing.There are anomolies like the Ravens/giants/steelers, but none of them were ranked lower than 23rd in passing. Makes even more since when you realize that the last 9 superbowl winners were The Manning Bros/ Brees/ Brady/ Rodgers/ Rothlisberger, all of whom are future hall of famers reputable passing attacks. Im not saying we cant win the superbowl with this formula, but it is very unlikely that we will win it with a 29th ranked passing game.To our credit, we play in a tough division defensively where all the teams are pretty pedestrian in the passing game ( Seahawks (31) Rams (25) Cards (26) ). Id bet money that we dont finish the year ranked 29th.

Any idea what the difference in passing yards per game is between us at 29 and whoever is sitting at 20?

Bout 30 yards

Yeah. I just checked that, too. Now I'm looking for YPA rankings....
Riddle me this... If you have the top 5 running option in the NFL and you have the top 12 passing attack in the nfl together with having arguably the best defense in the NFL...why would you pass more than enough to keep the defense honest or when you need to make a big comeback in a short amount of time?

I can't think of a single good reason. Seriously, if you have a solid rationale here, I'd love to hear it.

Easy

You pass to get a lead...

Then you run/pass to keep the lead

unless you are running at 10 yards per attmept

All you need is a consistent 3.4 yards per carry and you will always score a touchdown on every drive.

So what you're saying is that you have to pass to get a lead..even when your run game is better than your pass game? Your second comment seems in line with my "keeping defenses honest"
definitely need to mix up the selection....i would like the pass to set up the run..instead of the run to set up the pass
Originally posted by McLovinAlexSmith:
Nvm. Just checked. Under 30 yards. We are also 30th in attempts per game (effectively tied for 31st).

Frank Gore is still relevant. And running is always safer.
Yeah. I just checked that, too. Now I'm looking for YPA rankings....

Found them 14th, but .2 from being top ten.

Yep. And I doubt that you and I agree on that reason.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by jreff22:

Especially when you don't trust the QB.

Why do people insist that passing ranking be based upon yards per game? YPA or QBR is FAR more important.

I can throw 500 yards, but if I throw 5 pics the team is not going to win the game. I can throw 400 yards, but if I took 70 attempts to do so, it's probably going to be meaningless also.

If gore ran for 100 yards, it would be far more impressive if he did it it in 15 attempts as opposed to 30.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Net Passing Yards Leaders
1- NY Giant 2,067 yds.
24- SF Niners 1,399 yds.
sorry to keep bringin up last years giants game too but......

You mean the one where we had two fumbles, some bad calls, 1 of our starting WRs and our #2 TE's mouth wired shut?

Yeah, Alex should be able to win with a blind fold and both hands tied behind his back...

Ah. The "Dukes Myth" variant.

How many drives could we have gotten the go ahead score on late in that game? one could argue that had we produced a go ahead td on one of those drives OT might not have happened
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ImaMod:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Man, worst then Lions and Raiders? What till they start stacking the box on our 30 year old RB, because we can't throw.

You mean like the Saints did against us?

Which one? Last post season where we averaged 5.3 yards per carry?
Or a couple weeks ago where we averaged 5.2 yards per carry?

I think the play calling was more to blame than anything else in both of those games when it comes to the offense
12 runs when youre averaging 5.2 yards per carry is just dumb. Roman was terrible that week. And putting Kaep in every other play screwed our whole offense.
Why do people insist that passing ranking be based upon yards per game? YPA or QBR is FAR more important.

I can throw 500 yards, but if I throw 5 pics the team is not going to win the game. I can throw 400 yards, but if I took 70 attempts to do so, it's probably going to be meaningless also.

If gore ran for 100 yards, it would be far more impressive if he did it it in 15 attempts as opposed to 30.

You'll get no argument from me. Also, since they are rankings, they are relative to one another and a minor difference can equal ten spots in the rankings.
Originally posted by jreff22:

Especially when you don't trust the QB.
there are maybe 3 guys I would trust to throw the ball in certain situations.....outside of them I would ride Frank over every QB to get the job done safely

running isn't sexy, but its the best way to win IMO
Share 49ersWebzone