LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 260 users in the forums

quarterback controversy

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
With all the weapons Alex has, with good coaching, and a great O-line, we will finally see his ceiling. We will see if he can become a next level threat that defenses fear, or if he remains a competent steady pro QB. If Alex does not progress and CK does, there will be no controversy, but as they sit right now midway of the 2012 season...Alex is and will be the man, next season? Who knows, if Alex does not take that step, do we draft a QB...I would as insurance that CK develops.

how much more time are you willing to give him ?
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
With all the weapons Alex has, with good coaching, and a great O-line, we will finally see his ceiling. We will see if he can become a next level threat that defenses fear, or if he remains a competent steady pro QB. If Alex does not progress and CK does, there will be no controversy, but as they sit right now midway of the 2012 season...Alex is and will be the man, next season? Who knows, if Alex does not take that step, do we draft a QB...I would as insurance that CK develops.

I would like to know how much his finger is impacting his throws. Harbaugh indicated that it has had an impact. I'm guessing he's healther for the Monday game. Hopefully we see the last year/pre-Giants Alex Smith against the Cards.

Generally I'm happy with the QB play. We focus so much on it but there are other areas of the team that are more of a concern for me like the pass rush situation.
Originally posted by taney71:

I would like to know how much his finger is impacting his throws. Harbaugh indicated that it has had an impact. I'm guessing he's healther for the Monday game. Hopefully we see the last year/pre-Giants Alex Smith against the Cards.

Generally I'm happy with the QB play. We focus so much on it but there are other areas of the team that are more of a concern for me like the pass rush situation.

pass rush and defense is fine. I don't think the finger is the issue.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I didn't jump in until it became a ridiculous Alex Smith excuse thread.

Afrikan, to answer your question about our record being the end all be all. Did you forget that when our record wasn't good, then the team around Alex was even worse?

I like Alex, but let's not put our heads in the sands. He will win me over when defenses fear him. Until then, we should always be looking to upgrade every offseason or if Kaep is ready or if Kaep can sustain our record while learning.

Just hard to take this seriously when 90% of your posts criticize every play the guys makes or doesn't make. I agree with some of what you say but you are so overwhelmingly negative toward the man that I tend to see your posts as skewed--anti Smith diatribe.

In criticizing him, I am defending our other players who are not as bad as some want to make them out to be but they rely on the QB much more. So, you're either defending Alex and trashing the pieces around him or vice versa.

Either side is trashing someone.

Afrikan, to answer your question about our record being the end all be all. Did you forget that when our record wasn't good, then the team around Alex was even worse?

I like Alex, but let's not put our heads in the sands. He will win me over when defenses fear him. Until then, we should always be looking to upgrade every offseason or if Kaep is ready or if Kaep can sustain our record while learning.

Just hard to take this seriously when 90% of your posts criticize every play the guys makes or doesn't make. I agree with some of what you say but you are so overwhelmingly negative toward the man that I tend to see your posts as skewed--anti Smith diatribe.

In criticizing him, I am defending our other players who are not as bad as some want to make them out to be but they rely on the QB much more. So, you're either defending Alex and trashing the pieces around him or vice versa.

We have a SB team surrounding AS...think about it fellas
Yes, Smith doesn't do as well against good teams as he does against bad teams...I'm shocked!

The reason for choosing the Eagle game has been explained multiple times, but if you chose to believe it is to disguise bad play by Smith I don't know what to tell you. I have not used this stat because it was explained quite nicely by other posters...I'll let them explain it again if they are of a mind to do so...but since you just implied they are being dishonest I wouldn't expect a reply soon.
Yes, it stand to reason he'd play worse against better teams, but don't tell me these stats don't concern you at least a bit.

vs. playoff teams:

7 W - 8 L, 16 TDs 17 INTs

vs. non-playoff teams:

13 W - 5 L, 23 TDs 3 INTs

hmmmmmmm....

And as for why people start the tally after the Eagles game: Alex threw a lot of picks the first 5 games of that season. After the Eagles game he seemed to settle into a nice, conservative rythm that carried on into 2011. Those final 7 games he played in 2010 are statistically very similar to Alex's 2011 season. Only thing is those 5 games vs. playoff teams in 2010 are similar to Alex's play versus playoff teams in 2011 (2010: 9tds, 9 ints; 2011: 3 tds, 3 ints).
[ Edited by kush on Oct 23, 2012 at 8:52 AM ]

We have a SB team surrounding AS...think about it fellas

This is just getting argumentative, isn't it. With the other threads still the same I don't think there is any value in this one.
Share 49ersWebzone