LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 142 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
late in the game he had a run where he did NOT want to go down. He broke like 5 tackles. After that play, they showed Gore on the sideline with Jenkins beside him. Jenkins was just staring at Gore with a "WTF " look on his face. I LOL'd.
I'm going to guess yes.

But he NO DOUBT is in the top 10 outta the years I've been a 49er fan since 1992. He's an HOF'mer in my eyes.
49ers have had SICK players....top 10 is a tough call.

Gore is good

but you have to say top 10 based on talent

or based on impact to the 49ers

I don't think being the least s**tty 49er not named willis over the last 5 years gets him in to the top 10.

while I am at it .....I think Craig is under rated historically.

I think Rickey watters is underrated in this conversation. talent wise the guy had nearly 15000 yards and 80tds. As a 49er he was lethal.
  • NickV
  • Veteran
When its all said and done Frank will have just about every 49er record for a RB. All he needs is a SB ring.

Only record i dont see him getting is receptions yards for a rb in a season.

So a resounding YES. Frank Gore is a top 10 49er.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
late in the game he had a run where he did NOT want to go down. He broke like 5 tackles. After that play, they showed Gore on the sideline with Jenkins beside him. Jenkins was just staring at Gore with a "WTF " look on his face. I LOL'd.

I was just gonna type that. That play alone almost made me disrespect some top 10 listers. That hop step was beautiful.
Best RB IMO but top 10? I will let you know in a few years but it is certainly possible.

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Although I can appreciate your ability to give TO props in this post, it is still very, VERY wrong.

You he needed to have played the majority of his career here......he played 8 of his 15 seasons as a 49er.

You say most of his best years would have had to come during his tenure here......well 4 of his 6 probowl appearances came as a 49er. 3 of his 5 All Pro seasons came as a 49er.

No offense, but I swear people's biases or opinions of TO as a person cloud their memories of what actually happened. TO is an all time great 49er.

I agree about the talent of TO. Back in his day he was the best WR in the game with Randy Moss. It was those two guys and that's it. Owens was like a tank, too big and strong for DBs to bring down with blazing speed. Imagine a better version of Brandon Marshall.. that was TO.

At no point could I ever say Gore was the best RB in football. Even his best campaign in '06.. LaDainian Tomlinson scored 31 TDs. It wasn't even close. LDT was a better back. There have always been a handful of other RBs as good as Gore, some better.

Despite how I feel about them personally (Gore is an all-time favorite, Owens I loathe) If I had to have one of those two in his 49er prime for a must win game it would be TO hands down.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Although I can appreciate your ability to give TO props in this post, it is still very, VERY wrong.

You he needed to have played the majority of his career here......he played 8 of his 15 seasons as a 49er.

You say most of his best years would have had to come during his tenure here......well 4 of his 6 probowl appearances came as a 49er. 3 of his 5 All Pro seasons came as a 49er.

No offense, but I swear people's biases or opinions of TO as a person cloud their memories of what actually happened. TO is an all time great 49er.

I agree about the talent of TO. Back in his day he was the best WR in the game with Randy Moss. It was those two guys and that's it. Owens was like a tank, too big and strong for DBs to bring down with blazing speed. Imagine a better version of Brandon Marshall.. that was TO.

At no point could I ever say Gore was the best RB in football. Even his best campaign in '06.. LaDainian Tomlinson scored 31 TDs. It wasn't even close. LDT was a better back. There have always been a handful of other RBs as good as Gore, some better.

Despite how I feel about them personally (Gore is an all-time favorite, Owens I loathe) If I had to have one of those two in his 49er prime for a must win game it would be TO hands down.

Absolutely. TO is a shoe in HOFer. I still want to see him play as a niner again and get a ring.
Ok, lets do a list - (Disclaimer : I can only speak for after the mid 80s)

1) Joe Montana
2) Jerry Rice
3) Steve Young
4) Ronnie Lott
5) Bryant Young
6) Roger Craig
7) Harris Barton
8) Jessie Sapolu
9) Brent Jones
10) Dwight Clark

11 and 12 and 13 comes down to between Waters, Gore and Owens in my mind. I'd put Gore at 12th at the moment. He wins a SB here I think he could jump up to as high as 6 once his career is done.
[ Edited by Ninersince88 on Dec 11, 2012 at 2:16 AM ]
Yes, considering the 7&8 man fronts he has faced his whole career. Imagine him playing with Montana or Young his ypc would be crazy...

Originally posted by Ninersince88:

1) Joe Montana
2) Jerry Rice
3) Steve Young
4) Ronnie Lott
5) Bryant Young
6) Roger Craig
7) Harris Barton
8) Jessie Sapolu
9) Brent Jones
10) Dwight Clark

11 and 12 and 13 comes down to between Waters, Gore and Owens in my mind. I'd put Gore at 12th at the moment. He wins a SB here I think he could jump up to as high as 6 once his career is done.

I'd put Gore before Craig on this list. Skill wise, Gore is a better all around back than Craig even though Craig had the stats. That's a luxury of that 80's system. Gore is definitely better at finding holes in the line. Best eyes of a running back the niners have ever had.
Of course he is.
Originally posted by Ninersince88:

1) Joe Montana
2) Jerry Rice
3) Steve Young
4) Ronnie Lott
5) Bryant Young
6) Roger Craig
7) Harris Barton
8) Jessie Sapolu
9) Brent Jones
10) Dwight Clark

No TIm Mcdonald? Merton hanks??? Freddie Soloman? Charles Haley?????
Ken Norton Jr?
Love Frank Gore. He's my favorite Niner RB ever, but top 10 of all time? I don't think so. When I think of names like Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Eric Dickerson, Emmitt Smith, etc...I don't think Frank Gore. Not yet anyway.
Originally posted by TheGame9850:
No TIm Mcdonald? Merton hanks??? Freddie Soloman? Charles Haley?????
Ken Norton Jr?

your right....that's really the point.....

there are to many GREAT 49ers.

depending on what you want Gore is not even the best 49er running back.

Montana
Young
Rice
Lott
TO

Should be on every ones list. they are historical NFL greats.

Guys like
Haley
Watters
Craig
BY
are HOFish or close

Norton, Willis, McDonald, hanks, gore, JT the lust goes on and on
Share 49ersWebzone