LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Is Frank Gore a Top-10 All Time 49er?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
In terms of heart, no doubt. In terms of overall skill and contribution, no way. Our history is way too stacked with legends for that. Someone asked whether he compares with Roger. Again no way, and I don't think that Roger would find it easy to break the top 10 either.
Any top 10 list that leaves off players pre 1980 is flawed.
Originally posted by Robert:
  1. Great question! Here is my list of all time top ten 49ers (which I define as either enshrined in Canton as niners or who spent the majority of their careers here):
  1. 1) Rice
  2. 2) Montana
  3. 3) Lott
  4. 4) Tittle
  5. 5) Perry
  6. 6) Nomellini
  7. 7) McElhenny
  8. 8) Young
  9. 9) Wilcox
  10. 10) Dean
This list still excludes names like Brodie, Johnson, St. Clair and Haley, all of whom I would say based on the body of their career are clearly above Gore at this point in his career. Then there's still the next group, names like Craig, B. Young, Bosley, Hicks, Taylor, Jones, Willis and Owens. I think arguments can be made about where Gore should sit within this group.

So, I'd say, at this point, Gore is not top 10, but is probably top 20, with more career left to play out. Pretty freaking awesome, if you ask me.

I'll go with this guy
Originally posted by kingairta:

I can buy this argument. But if there is a pre-1980 running back on the list and Gore isnt, then I wont.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by Robert:
  1. Great question! Here is my list of all time top ten 49ers (which I define as either enshrined in Canton as niners or who spent the majority of their careers here):
  1. 1) Rice
  2. 2) Montana
  3. 3) Lott
  4. 4) Tittle
  5. 5) Perry
  6. 6) Nomellini
  7. 7) McElhenny
  8. 8) Young
  9. 9) Wilcox
  10. 10) Dean
This list still excludes names like Brodie, Johnson, St. Clair and Haley, all of whom I would say based on the body of their career are clearly above Gore at this point in his career. Then there's still the next group, names like Craig, B. Young, Bosley, Hicks, Taylor, Jones, Willis and Owens. I think arguments can be made about where Gore should sit within this group.

So, I'd say, at this point, Gore is not top 10, but is probably top 20, with more career left to play out. Pretty freaking awesome, if you ask me.

I'll go with this guy

Sorry...but I put Gore ahead of Perry, McElhenny, Wilcox and Dean (Especially Dean).
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:

I can buy this argument. But if there is a pre-1980 running back on the list and Gore isnt, then I wont.

For me Craig is the best RB this team has had. Only two RBs have ever had a 1,000/1,000 yard season and he was the first.

But this team has had so many greats its hard to crack the top 10 over all players.

I can buy that too, but Gore is the 49ers all time leading rusher and he ain't done by a longshot. I can't put Perry, McElhenny or Craig ahead of him when his numbers aren't just better, they are FAR better when he played against teams geared to do nothing but stop him.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 16, 2012 at 3:20 PM ]

For me Craig is the best RB this team has had. Only two RBs have ever had a 1,000/1,000 yard season and he was the first.

But this team has had so many greats its hard to crack the top 10 over all players.

Look...I loved Roger Craig, but the guy never averaged over 5 yards per carry (Frank doing it now for second time) when teams were geared to stop the pass. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry on his career (Gore 4.7) He only had 3 1000 yard rushing seasons(Gore has 5 and on his way to 6 out of his 8 years in the NFL...and would have had another had he not broken his hip). The argument could be made that Craig didn't get as many touches as he would have if the team didn't have so many good players, but Gore produced in EVERY SINGLE SEASON even when he was the teams only threat.

Again, I loved Craig, but it's all about Frank Gore.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Nov 16, 2012 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:

Look...I loved Roger Craig, but the guy never averaged over 5 yards per carry (Frank doing it now for second time) when teams were geared to stop the pass. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry on his career (Gore 4.7) He only had 3 1000 yard (Gore has 5 and on his way to 6 out of his 8 years in the NFL) rushing seasons. The argument could be made that he didn't get as many touches as he would have if the team didn't have so many good players, but Gore produced in EVERY SINGLE SEASON even when he was the teams only threat.

Agreed, 100%.
every player from '80 onward is better than every player from '79 and previous.

Look...I loved Roger Craig, but the guy never averaged over 5 yards per carry (Frank doing it now for second time) when teams were geared to stop the pass. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry on his career (Gore 4.7) He only had 3 1000 yard rushing seasons(Gore has 5 and on his way to 6 out of his 8 years in the NFL...and would have had another had he not broken his hip). The argument could be made that Craig didn't get as many touches as he would have if the team didn't have so many good players, but Gore produced in EVERY SINGLE SEASON even when he was the teams only threat.

...and BTW, even tho Craig did go 1050 rushing/1016 receiving in 1985, Gore had 1695 rushing/485 recieving in 2006. Thats 2180 TOTAL yards from scrimmage to 2066 for Craig.

1000/1000 is an accomplishment, but the Gore 2006 season is IMO the best season ever by a 49ers RB.

...and BTW, even tho Craig did go 1050 rushing/1016 receiving in 1985, Gore had 1695 rushing/485 recieving in 2006. Thats 2180 TOTAL yards from scrimmage to 2066 for Craig.

1000/1000 is an accomplishment, but the Gore 2006 season is IMO the best season ever by a 49ers RB.

Frank Gore's 2006 highlights:

If Gore was on any of our Dynasty teams there is no doubt he'd be a top 10 all time. He's the best running back we've ever had, all things considered.
If he gets a super bowl then yes.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
If Gore was on any of our Dynasty teams there is no doubt he'd be a top 10 all time. He's the best running back we've ever had, all things considered.

Def needs a ring ...AS better step up
Share 49ersWebzone