LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

New York Giants show how to beat San Francisco 49ers @ NFL

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Rolle embarrassed Smith today. More difficult to watch than our pass coverage on Cruz.

Geeeeez
  • kray28
  • Veteran
When we went down 14, early in the third, Roman panicked and ditched the running game.

Thing is though...the passing game needs to be reliable enough to dig us out of a 14 possession hole. So I don't just blame Roman...it was a myriad of factors.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
The other criticism I'd have is the QB rotation issue. It is an issue now. And Smith may deny that it's an issue, but I think it is tough for a QB to establish a rhythm if he keeps getting subbed out in the middle of a possession with no warning.

It adds insult to injury when the Kaepernick is limited to a pedestrian variety of plays as well. The Giants did there homework on what to expect. Roman should have known that.
Originally posted by kray28:
When we went down 14, early in the third, Roman panicked and ditched the running game.

Thing is though...the passing game needs to be reliable enough to dig us out of a 14 possession hole. So I don't just blame Roman...it was a myriad of factors.

It was that unforgivable fall start on 3rd & 1
Originally posted by NinerGM:
This game is another lesson in how Harbaugh has for whatever reason this year, mismanaged momentum with a team that offensively can't quickly score points against a good defense when it has to. The running game is great when you have TIME. The problem is that when your other units give up a big play, AND the offense doesn't produce points at the end of its long drives - particularly against an offense that CAN score quickly against your defense, you lose.

The Giants gameplan is exactly what Minnesota ran; control the LOS against the 49er run-game and make Alex Smith, not the running game beat you. Against the defense, test the corners continually and run (even if ineffectively) to set up the short pass, that will eventually dial up the long pass.

It's clear on tape Culliver is the weak link in the secondary and our safeties are better at run support than in pass coverage - especially when there's no passrush.

Ah, the vaunted disappearing pass-rush. Well the problem is technique; teams have figured out how to keep pushing the 49ers ends to the outside and let them run around the QB versus coming up through the middle. Vic needs to consider Willis as blitzer more frequently than he has in the past.

Add to this big momentum swinging plays - on ST, particularly at the start of the 2nd half, that when the Giants succeeded in making Smith beat them. I like Smith but he has an accuracy problem when he's asked to REPEATEDLY throw the ball. I think that's more the issue with being "elite". Smith simply isn't a 50-passess a game type QB with a high percentage of success vs failure.

Agree with this. Our pass rush hasnt been to where I thought it would be and where are the blitzes? Embarrassed at home today and I am worried about not only Thursday night but moving forward. I thought we were elite, but it doesnt look that way.

Tru dat, the Oline was getting pushed around too and they used the stunts we used quite bit, then they would send a lineman or safety around the ends for containment panic city for our QB. The clearest example of this was that late sack on Kap where he tried to step up and the inside rush was there after he got turned away from an edge run/roll out back inside. He was just smothered, same happened to Smith at times as well. Damn good scheme them wanker Giants used..
The other criticism I'd have is the QB rotation issue. It is an issue now. And Smith may deny that it's an issue, but I think it is tough for a QB to establish a rhythm if he keeps getting subbed out in the middle of a possession with no warning.

It adds insult to injury when the Kaepernick is limited to a pedestrian variety of plays as well. The Giants did there homework on what to expect. Roman should have known that.

Agreed, it's got to be bothering Smith. then those slow fake end arounds or multiple look play action or run plays, they look real slow to develop remember that one towards the end when he was standing way back by himself with his arms extended to fake a hand-off with no one from our team near him? That was sad..Aikman ripped the call so did the other guy as making him look bad plus it didn't fool anyone..over "cute" once again..I say go back to keeping it real simple and as quick hitting as possible..
Niners just plain SUCK at beating competitively 'sound' teams.
Culliver got burned up and down all day. I'm starting to think that he just isn't reliable as a nickel corner.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Culliver got burned up and down all day. I'm starting to think that he just isn't reliable as a nickel corner.

Truth is we play good defense by committee. Aside from Smith, Willis, Bowman, and maybe Goldson, our defense doesnt really boast individual talent. Tarrell Brown, Culliver, and Rogers are all liabilties that can be burned by even the avg receiver(s). We need a good pass rush, shut down run game, and then we can back off and play the field as a group. Thats the difference between playing Detroit (nothing for CJ) and playing NY (Cruz lights us up again).

Simple ....it was the same game as the Minnesota game.....run the clock, shorten the game, and keep the 49ers field goal kicking offense off the field....
Originally posted by Faraz80:

Truth is we play good defense by committee. Aside from Smith, Willis, Bowman, and maybe Goldson, our defense doesnt really boast individual talent. Tarrell Brown, Culliver, and Rogers are all liabilties that can be burned by even the avg receiver(s). We need a good pass rush, shut down run game, and then we can back off and play the field as a group. Thats the difference between playing Detroit (nothing for CJ) and playing NY (Cruz lights us up again).

Well, most good defenses only comprise of a few standout players. I thought Brown and Rodgers did a decent job. It's just that Culliver couldn't stay with Hixon. Maybe it's just me, but his play just seems underwhelming to me.
Originally posted by vamphunter23:
Simple ....it was the same game as the Minnesota game.....run the clock, shorten the game, and keep the 49ers field goal kicking offense off the field....

Very similar indeed, so the blue print has been out for a while now ummm, starting from the NFCC
  • kray28
  • Veteran
If Harbaugh wants to develop Kaepernick, then just give him a possession to run the offense. This has been done in the past with few problems. Otherwise, you need to make it clear to Alex that he's the guy who will start and finish possessions.

As it stands right now, if I am Harbaugh, I talk to both QBs and let them know that the experiment is over.
Originally posted by Faraz80:

Well, most good defenses only comprise of a few standout players. I thought Brown and Rodgers did a decent job. It's just that Culliver couldn't stay with Hixon. Maybe it's just me, but his play just seems underwhelming to me.

Ya but didn't we all think he (Brown) was going to challenge for a starting slot this year at one point? He was plying real well off and on, mostly on, for last year and this. His pass breakups in the Lions and Pack games come to mind when he sprinted step for step and got a hand up for a deflection in the endzone..So what, maybe the scheme is different now and his talent is not be used as efficiently?
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Oct 14, 2012 at 9:35 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone