LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

O-line: All 5 starters grade out in top 5 at their position, Boon and davis ranked 2nd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Pasodoc--was looking through stats and even if you take the 9er sacks out two of our opponents were top half sack teams. So we've played some good defenses. Our next four games will be tough as well. Arizona leads in sacks and Seattle is tied for 8th, Buffalo tied for 12th. NYG are lower but we all know their pass rush is decent if not good. As a matter of fact there are only two teams left who are in the bottom half in sacks--NO and NE. Yikes!

I hope this line becomes much better soon!
how long do we have boone signed for?
Originally posted by MILFS:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/alex-boone/

signed through the 2015 season...
Originally posted by MILFS:

he wont leave this team
I believe our O-line is one of the best out there. You win in the trenches. Our O-line will help us make that next step this year, to play in the big dance.
Staley rated number 4? He must be paying somebody to keep his name clean in the media because........
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Staley rated number 4? He must be paying somebody to keep his name clean in the media because........

That or Niner Talk is just flat out wrong.
Originally posted by truekingcarlos:
Originally posted by NCommand:
You may be right...but 5 out of 12? I can see a couple like the two where rolled right, waiting for something to be open as long as he can and eventually takes a 2 yard sack...no biggie. But no way would I put 7 on him. I can see a couple coverage sacks. Like for instance, the back-to-back sacks in the last game. Alex drops back to hit Crabtree on the underneath drag route and the LB mauls him (grabs him and almost knocks him down). By the time Alex starts to look up field he has a DE on his back. To me that would be a 1/2 on the OL and half on coverage sack/scheme.

It would be nice if oldman9er or someone would objectively list out the sacks and where he thinks the fault lies knowing that some are combination reasons. And also note all the one Alex avoided, etc.

And to your last point, totally. Roman was just talking about that a couple weeks ago. Alex is coached to scramble but don't be discouraged to take a sack. Just don't fumble or throw a stupid TO. Alex's recent comments also highlighted this coaching on taking the higher % throws only save for VD, someone he can trust fully and who has 4 of the 5 TD's including one in the EZ on triple coverage. Great throw/catch!

Anyone willing to review oldman9ers play-by-play analysis and assign a real OL assessment of pas protection? We have all the film to back it up as well.

I agree with that. I wouldn't attribute 7 to him either, not even close to that. That means coverage sack is also something they must take into account in order to give the Oline only 5 sacks, which makes sense, and its something I didn't consider in my original post. Thanks for the reminder.

If anyone checked my numbers I didn't do coverage sacks because I don't have coach's view. I credited to alex, ol, rb, te, etc who were blocking. Yeah and I agree somewhat with that one over the middle. I think he wanted to go to crabtree but he stumbled (might have been lb bumping him). He pulls it down and then Joe's guy gets him. Still, Joe got beat badly on the play. Ball would have probably been gone but I gave it to Staley but I can see how you can call that one a coverage sack. Like I said I didn't do coverage sacks so my totals are somewhat off.

Edit: and let me bring this up which probably hasn't been talked about much... penalties on OL: That has helped all their ratings. A few false starts.. maybe a couple of holds and a personal foul on anthony. Really has improved over the years. The amount of penalties by them in 4 games is equal to it use to be in 1 game (heck even a half at times)

edit again: I can certainly see how they have Staley at 5... i had 4.5 and .5 to davis, they have 5 and 0. Against GB Matthews blows up play, smith escapes and Anthony who had a good block but then let go and his guy got the sack. I am going back to recheck the one I had for Iupati. Ok, looking at it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=127t-EQxFS4&feature=youtu.be 25:00 a little after....... Iupati got beat... it was about 3 seconds, I can see why they call that coverage or on alex because alex should have dumped it off but Iupati didn't stick with his block and his guy made alex scramble... goodwin's guy finishes him off

36:45, that's the one i have on vernon. the play call wasn't the best with the flea flicker and I don't think anyone was open not that alex really had time to look. However, if VD doesn't get beat Alex has a clear lane to run about 30 yards with cbs running way down the field for a bomb.

39:50, the one I have on L.Davis. Anyone disagree that Leonard is totally at fault for that one. Misses his guy, blows up play... alex scrambles and someone elses guy takes him out.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
But NinerTalk says it's the Oline's fault Alex has struggled in the last two games. ....their not good enough....

there are other guys besides the starting 5 OL blocking... I have VD giving up 1, Miller giving up 1, Leonard Davis on 1. Also, Alex has escaped a few times to save some guys from sacks but I guess it evens out because he took a few that he shouldn't have.

Considering that ProFootballFocus is about as an objective analysis site that you'll find, and that Joe Staley is considered a very solid player everywhere but 49erswebzone.com I would assume the latter probably closer to the truth. He can struggle from time to time against guys like Clay Matthews and Jared Allen but there isn't a LT in the NFL right now that can claim otherwise. He's a very reliable LT and we are lucky to have him.

Originally posted by DirtyP:

Considering that ProFootballFocus is about as an objective analysis site that you'll find, and that Joe Staley is considered a very solid player everywhere but 49erswebzone.com I would assume the latter probably closer to the truth. He can struggle from time to time against guys like Clay Matthews and Jared Allen but there isn't a LT in the NFL right now that can claim otherwise. He's a very reliable LT and we are lucky to have him.

Couldn't agree more breh.

Once again, these stats are really very subjective. A coverage sack assumes a great deal, unless you make it any sack over a three second mark. So hard to quantify these things objectively. PFF was started by a business consultant and is made up of volunteers/semi-volunteers with varying degrees of knowledge. Not sure I trust them more than the Bleacher Report. Although I could not (quickly) find much data on their research standards. I would think the sports magazines would have a little higher level of professionalism. Not sure about NFL.com

I hesitate to criticize Staley when the middle is pushed back and his guy has a direct line to Smith, who can't step up...that should be at least a shared sack. The fact that Staley has faced most of the great pass rushers seems a double edge sword...would you put your best pass rusher on the best OLineman or the worst? Some teams may not move guys around as much, so it would take more analysis to make a really informed opinion.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 6, 2012 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Once again, these stats are really very subjective. A coverage sack assumes a great deal, unless you make it any sack over a three second mark. So hard to quantify these things objectively. PFF was started by a business consultant and is made up of volunteers/semi-volunteers with varying degrees of knowledge. Not sure I trust them more than the Bleacher Report. Although I could not (quickly) find much data on their research standards. I would think the sports magazines would have a little higher level of professionalism. Not sure about NFL.com

I hesitate to criticize Staley when the middle is pushed back and his guy has a direct line to Smith, who can't step up...that should be at least a shared sack. The fact that Staley has faced most of the great pass rushers seems a double edge sword...would you put your best pass rusher on the best OLineman or the worst? Some teams may not move guys around as much, so it would take more analysis to make a really informed opinion.

Yeah, it's judgmental at times... not every sack is clear cut. Coverage sack, on alex for not throwing it away, on say Staley but also like you said what if Goodwin got pushed back and Alex couldn't step up or take off up the middle? What if the sack is at 3 seconds but the coverage is good but someone got beat horribly? Could be all three, they have to judge. It's not an exact science
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Oct 6, 2012 at 9:55 PM ]
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Best run-blocking group in the league, I am sure.

If we are to applaud these OL for their "pass pro improvement".. which at times is fair... we should also make clear note that they have been greatly assisted by their QB.. who generally makes very quick throws after reading defenses. Those quick throws have helped our big boys a bunch... because when those quick throws don't come out? They generally fail to give more than 3 seconds.

It's a good start for sure. If we can teach our interior OL to zone block more efficiently.. and give Staley some help at times when facing the better pass rushers.. this OL can help take us to ring # 6... and THAT.. was my biggest concern heading into the season.

Lol we are fat in run blocking, Mike's a stud, Davis is always 5 yards down field, Boone could be a starter at tackle, glad he's finally playing. I think Davis has improved because of Boone, thats because he trust the guy next to him to block his guy, not Rachael, or Snyders mo.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Irish40Niner:
Originally posted by TinyHandsBigHeart:
Wow, that's impressive, but if this is true then why is our offense so mediocre? We have a great o-line, good receivers, good RBs, a great TE, and great offensive coaches. What's the problem?

Is this a rhetorical question? I think we know why....

Getting tired of every thread heading in the same direction.

I'm tired of generalizations that aren't always accurate. Like we have good WRs... A more accurate statement is that we have talented WRs. They don't always perform well...and we have a disproportional number of drops. I'm not sure on this rating system..

and I didn't read the whole thing...but I have a hard time believe that number of sacks with as few passes attempts as we make qualify them to be called great.

We do have good RBs and a great TE...and they perform.

BTW...our QB has what QB rating again? Since we're making these arguments based on stats...tell me again how he sucks with that rating?
Share 49ersWebzone