LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

The balanced offense thread of balance.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense

The 49ers are the MOST UNBALANCED team in the league!
#30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).

USE IT OR LOSE IT = If the 49ers don't use the pass offense soon, the will lose it later! We can't wait until we are behind in the playoffs and expect Alex to start lighting it up. We need to develop that skill now (use it), or we be SOL later (lose it). When we are up by 10 or 20 we need to still work on the pass, not just run out the clock. And we need to throw more down the field! Alex needs to take some chances, not just throw to wide open receivers, but let the receivers make some plays.

People here attack anyone who points out these passing offense facts as ‘trolls' and ‘haters'. But they are missing the point, which is to win the superbowl we need to be more balanced and be better able to move the ball through the air.

49ers are #30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).
This type of "balance" isn't what you are looking for. To win you want to be among the league leaders in both run and pass. The Walsh 49ers were usually among the top 5 in both run and pass. Now that is real balance!

Our opponents are stacking box against the run, but our run game is so good that we are often still able to run (often requiring innovative gimmicks). But in the playoffs we will need to have more balance to win it all. And to get better we have to practice passing more so that we can develop a feel for the pass. Roman and Harbaugh also know this and you will see them working on the passing game more. I'm sure that they don't think they can win it all being #30 in the league.

Heya smart guy, look at the yards per game, that is balance, and that indicates balance much better than rankings in a pass happy league.

No it doesn't. Passes tend to average more yards per play. Now if we are passing as much as running and the yards are nearly equal, that is bad.
Alex Smith yards per attempt is higher than aaron rodgers and matt stafford so far. That plus he has a higher qb rating and a much better td to turnover ratio. I would say that memphis9er is on point and that our offensive balance is the right kind of balance for the qb that we have under center. 17 - 5 thus far it kills clock scores points rests defense wins field position wins games. It works and it keeps us from doing what romo did last nite. I will take 250 rushing yards over 5 picks any day. This offense after havin a full offseason is coming along just fine. I make no fuss about a winning formula
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Oct 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Alex Smith yards per attempt is higher than aaron rodgers and matt stafford so far. That plus he has a higher qb rating and a much better td to turnover ratio. I would say that memphis9er is on point and th[left]at our offensive balance is the right kind of balance for the qb that we have under center. 17 - 5 thus far it kills clock scores points rests defense wins field position wins games. It works and it keeps us from doing what romo did last nite. I will take 250 rushing yards over 5 picks any day. This offense after havin a full offense is coming along with balance ball security production runs clock and we are scoring. I make no fuss about a winning formula

Yeah but he doesn't throw for as much yardage as Tony Romo, which is how teams actually win.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Alex Smith yards per attempt is higher than aaron rodgers and matt stafford so far. That plus he has a higher qb rating and a much better td to turnover ratio. I would say that memphis9er is on point and th[left]at our offensive balance is the right kind of balance for the qb that we have under center. 17 - 5 thus far it kills clock scores points rests defense wins field position wins games. It works and it keeps us from doing what romo did last nite. I will take 250 rushing yards over 5 picks any day. This offense after havin a full offense is coming along with balance ball security production runs clock and we are scoring. I make no fuss about a winning formula

Yeah but he doesn't throw for as much yardage as Tony Romo, which is how teams actually win.

what is the Cowboy's record?

and...would you rather have Romo as the QB of your 49ers?
Originally posted by boast:

I can't believe he said that! Romo and how teams actually win in the same sentence!

He throws for yards, moar yards. And even moar moar yards! 5 interceptions just means you have more balls to throw for moar yards since that's what matters!

He throws for yards, moar yards. And even moar moar yards! 5 interceptions just means you have more balls to throw for moar yards since that's what matters!
Originally posted by English:

I can't believe he said that! Romo and how teams actually win in the same sentence!

It's not his fault the team can't come through with all those awesome yards he throws for.

Love this thread!!!

Nothing like facts stomping out BS like the jolly green giant.

Balanced it looks to me there is more run than pass. Which is flat out pathetic in today's NFL! Even worse it is foolishness when you have The Best TE, and very talented WR's, Moss Manningham, Crabs and Frank Gore is good in the receiveing game. We have to start launching passes deep down field. D cordinators will quickly find a way to shut down our power run. We need a powerful O, so that when we are down by 2touchdowns we can come back and win. Versuse the sorry Vikings we were stumped, after being down against them. And we are light years ahead of them being a better team
It's not his fault the team can't come through with all those awesome yards he throws for.

Lol!!
Alex Smith yards per attempt is higher than aaron rodgers and matt stafford so far. That plus he has a higher qb rating and a much better td to turnover ratio. I would say that memphis9er is on point and that our offensive balance is the right kind of balance for the qb that we have under center. 17 - 5 thus far it kills clock scores points rests defense wins field position wins games. It works and it keeps us from doing what romo did last nite. I will take 250 rushing yards over 5 picks any day. This offense after havin a full offseason is coming along just fine. I make no fuss about a winning formula

I wonder if Alex's yards per completion is higher. It's obvious, the more attempts the QB is going to have, his yards per attempt will not be very high. Misses for 0 yards cuts a 50 yard completion in half. We don't throw as much but also don't throw for big yardage completions. Those deep ball attempts other QB's attempt more of skews the stats. One could say you may complete 1 out of 3 deep balls. You get 30 yards on that one but it only shows as 10 ypa.

There's much more to look into than just yards per attempt.
Originally posted by 49ersHeroine:
Balanced it looks to me there is more run than pass. Which is flat out pathetic in today's NFL! Even worse it is foolishness when you have The Best TE, and very talented WR's, Moss Manningham, Crabs and Frank Gore is good in the receiveing game. We have to start launching passes deep down field. D cordinators will quickly find a way to shut down our power run. We need a powerful O, so that when we are down by 2touchdowns we can come back and win. Versuse the sorry Vikings we were stumped, after being down against them. And we are light years ahead of them being a better team

Because the rest of the NFL does it, we have to do it? Bill Walsh might disagree.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense

The 49ers are the MOST UNBALANCED team in the league!
#30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).

USE IT OR LOSE IT = If the 49ers don't use the pass offense soon, the will lose it later! We can't wait until we are behind in the playoffs and expect Alex to start lighting it up. We need to develop that skill now (use it), or we be SOL later (lose it). When we are up by 10 or 20 we need to still work on the pass, not just run out the clock. And we need to throw more down the field! Alex needs to take some chances, not just throw to wide open receivers, but let the receivers make some plays.

People here attack anyone who points out these passing offense facts as ‘trolls' and ‘haters'. But they are missing the point, which is to win the superbowl we need to be more balanced and be better able to move the ball through the air.

49ers are #30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).
This type of "balance" isn't what you are looking for. To win you want to be among the league leaders in both run and pass. The Walsh 49ers were usually among the top 5 in both run and pass. Now that is real balance!

Our opponents are stacking box against the run, but our run game is so good that we are often still able to run (often requiring innovative gimmicks). But in the playoffs we will need to have more balance to win it all. And to get better we have to practice passing more so that we can develop a feel for the pass. Roman and Harbaugh also know this and you will see them working on the passing game more. I'm sure that they don't think they can win it all being #30 in the league.

Heya smart guy, look at the yards per game, that is balance, and that indicates balance much better than rankings in a pass happy league.

No it doesn't. Passes tend to average more yards per play. Now if we are passing as much as running and the yards are nearly equal, that is bad.

Yes it does, but thanks for your opinion, no matter how bad it smells.
Share 49ersWebzone