LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

The balanced offense thread of balance.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by maxsmart:
A question to the control freak . . . oops I mean 'moderator' who merged my new "Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense" thread here:
What is the only significant controversy on the 49ers? It involves the passing offense. So why merge my thread about the passing offense with this thread about 'balance'? My thread was about how we need to "Use It Or Lose It" regarding the pass offense. Why do you try to bury that issue? There are many Moss threads and Alex Smith threads, but really few dealing specifically with the key issue of our times, the pass offense.

Perhaps it's because we have roughly the same amount of pass plays and rush plays and they gain roughly the same amount of yards per play?

I dunno... just a guess.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith audible into those running plays at the line because he recognized and took advantage of the Jets from what he saw out of them at the line. Give credit where it's due. He had a hand in putting up 240yards on the ground. Running and executing the offense.

You have to take into account that not every fan actually has an understanding of football that goes deeper than madden or fantasy football. Those that know the real sport will be able to appreciate this.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Smith audible into those running plays at the line because he recognized and took advantage of the Jets from what he saw out of them at the line. Give credit where it's due. He had a hand in putting up 240yards on the ground. Running and executing the offense.

You have to take into account that not every fan actually has an understanding of football that goes deeper than madden or fantasy football. Those that know the real sport will be able to appreciate this.

Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense

The 49ers are the MOST UNBALANCED team in the league!
#30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).

USE IT OR LOSE IT = If the 49ers don't use the pass offense soon, the will lose it later! We can't wait until we are behind in the playoffs and expect Alex to start lighting it up. We need to develop that skill now (use it), or we be SOL later (lose it). When we are up by 10 or 20 we need to still work on the pass, not just run out the clock. And we need to throw more down the field! Alex needs to take some chances, not just throw to wide open receivers, but let the receivers make some plays.

People here attack anyone who points out these passing offense facts as ‘trolls' and ‘haters'. But they are missing the point, which is to win the superbowl we need to be more balanced and be better able to move the ball through the air.

49ers are #30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).
This type of "balance" isn't what you are looking for. To win you want to be among the league leaders in both run and pass. The Walsh 49ers were usually among the top 5 in both run and pass. Now that is real balance!

Our opponents are stacking box against the run, but our run game is so good that we are often still able to run (often requiring innovative gimmicks). But in the playoffs we will need to have more balance to win it all. And to get better we have to practice passing more so that we can develop a feel for the pass. Roman and Harbaugh also know this and you will see them working on the passing game more. I'm sure that they don't think they can win it all being #30 in the league.

Heya smart guy, look at the yards per game, that is balance, and that indicates balance much better than rankings in a pass happy league.
A question to the control freak . . . oops I mean ‘moderator' who merged my new "Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense" thread here:
What is the only significant controversy on the 49ers? It involves the passing offense. So why merge my thread about the passing offense with this thread about ‘balance'? My thread was about how we need to "Use It Or Lose It" regarding the pass offense. Why do you try to bury that issue? There are many Moss threads and Alex Smith threads, but really few dealing specifically with the key issue of our times, the pass offense.

That's a controversy? It might be if we had any serious contender as a backup, but the only pass thrown by Colin was forced into triple coverage and was all around a piss poor decision. The controversy exists only in the minds of those who think the option will work on a consistent basis in the pros. Colin is still a work in progress.
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Oct 2, 2012 at 4:26 AM ]
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
I for one have been a little upset that we haven't thrown more. But started thinking about it.....in the playoffs you want to be able to win the TOP game and the way to do that is throw short passes to get first downs with occasional deep shots, RUNNING the ball, and play defense. All 3 phases that we excel at.

Only thing we have to work on is 3rd down efficiency.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Or is it a "Gesture of Balance?"

Was aiming for the Moody Blues monster album from long long ago.

Was aiming for the book on Tibetan philosophy no one has read.
Oh cool... I found a new Alex thread!

Just kidding. Those are some interesting stats on page 1... thanks a bunch to mkmasn and jreff22.
Originally posted by Baldie:
I for one have been a little upset that we haven't thrown more. But started thinking about it.....in the playoffs you want to be able to win the TOP game and the way to do that is throw short passes to get first downs with occasional deep shots, RUNNING the ball, and play defense. All 3 phases that we excel at.

Only thing we have to work on is 3rd down efficiency.

In the playoffs teams will take a way the run....we need to start working on the pass cause inching our way down the field will not do it
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
In the playoffs teams will take a way the run....we need to start working on the pass cause inching our way down the field will not do it

Have you completely forgotten last year? Also it would be more accurate to insert the word try in there.

May the force be with us.
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Through 4 games:

Passing Attempts: 114
Passing Yards: 717
Passing First Downs: 47
Passing TDs: 5

Rushing Plays: 123
Rushing Yards: 668
Rushing First Downs: 35
Rushing TDs: 5

Discuss.
Snaps per Unit

Week 1
Offense (67) Defense (72)

Week 2
Offense (63) Defense (65)

Week 3
Offense (58) Defense (79)

Week 4
Offense (72 plays) Defense (53 plays)

More games like week 4 please.
running keeps the clock ticking.....keeps the D fresh.

correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've given up a lead at any point this season. Of course, couldn't overcome our first deficit. That'll be something I'd like to see overcome in the next four games..... but, if we don't get the chance I wont be complaining.
Use It Or Lose It = Pass Offense

The 49ers are the MOST UNBALANCED team in the league!
#30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).

USE IT OR LOSE IT = If the 49ers don't use the pass offense soon, the will lose it later! We can't wait until we are behind in the playoffs and expect Alex to start lighting it up. We need to develop that skill now (use it), or we be SOL later (lose it). When we are up by 10 or 20 we need to still work on the pass, not just run out the clock. And we need to throw more down the field! Alex needs to take some chances, not just throw to wide open receivers, but let the receivers make some plays.

People here attack anyone who points out these passing offense facts as ‘trolls' and ‘haters'. But they are missing the point, which is to win the superbowl we need to be more balanced and be better able to move the ball through the air.

49ers are #30 in pass offense (179 yd/g) and #3 in rush offense (167 yd/game).
This type of "balance" isn't what you are looking for. To win you want to be among the league leaders in both run and pass. The Walsh 49ers were usually among the top 5 in both run and pass. Now that is real balance!

Our opponents are stacking box against the run, but our run game is so good that we are often still able to run (often requiring innovative gimmicks). But in the playoffs we will need to have more balance to win it all. And to get better we have to practice passing more so that we can develop a feel for the pass. Roman and Harbaugh also know this and you will see them working on the passing game more. I'm sure that they don't think they can win it all being #30 in the league.

Heya smart guy, look at the yards per game, that is balance, and that indicates balance much better than rankings in a pass happy league.

Yep. perspective. it indicates the rest of the league is imbalanced.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Have you completely forgotten last year? Also it would be more accurate to insert the word try in there.

no i haven't...the NFCCG still hurts...KW decided the game but our run games wasn't helping either.

Yep. Alex will never be appreciated for this. His contribution will be appreciated like the lineman's. I said from the start of the year. I don't want Smith to have 35+ Tds I think this team has a better shot being cutting edge like being able to audible into running weaknesses, something rarely focused on in the NFL. In my opinion that will be the future of "SB winning" QBs. Call them what you want. It take serious smarts and selflessness to use the WHOLE playbook when using an audible.

The Elite QB's ego gets in the way to see the advantage. THE TIDE IS TURNING. the day of the Elite QB winning SBs is dwindling. Big Ben and Eli Manning don't put up huge numbers.... they've won 4 of the last 7 SBs.... People put too much emphasis into getting the passing game going so you can come back when you need to..... look at last year's saints' game. we can get it going when we need to.
Share 49ersWebzone