LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 291 users in the forums

The balanced offense thread of balance.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Smith audible into those running plays at the line because he recognized and took advantage of the Jets from what he saw out of them at the line. Give credit where it's due. He had a hand in putting up 240yards on the ground. Running and executing the offense.

Yeah. Way to check it to runs Smith. Attah boy....
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Smith audible into those running plays at the line because he recognized and took advantage of the Jets from what he saw out of them at the line. Give credit where it's due. He had a hand in putting up 240yards on the ground. Running and executing the offense.

He does more than just throw da ball He heard the Zone said he's limited so he checked into a run instead to once again be hidden in Harbaugh's offense.

"should've not read the defense and just Tony Romo'd it!!" ( fired from the hip). I for one am glad that we have a QB that can recognize defenses and check down to a run if it works...apparently a 245 yrd run game works.
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

"should've not read the defense and just Tony Romo'd it!!" ( fired from the hip). I for one am glad that we have a QB that can recognize defenses and check down to a run if it works...apparently a 245 yrd run game works.

Maybe he should have Matt ryan'd it (surgeon)
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

we werent losing
Originally posted by jreff22:

we werent losing

And when we are we still dont
Matt Ryan, oh...I forgot about that guy. Once he beats the Saints and gets near a NFCC game I'll appreciate his "talent"
Originally posted by Allx9er:
We'll see how long this balanced thing lasts

That's the thing that worries me. Last year, they were guilty of trying to square peg a round hole, both within the season and within individual games. I understand why they try to do that, but I still don't get it. This team performs best within the West Coast philosophy, if not by prototypical West Coast tactics. Additionally, I believe it was Jref22 that noted running the ball runs the clock and keeps the D fresh. I think that's a key point when you're trying to maximize the strengths of this team against the strengths of an opponent.

Anyway, we've already had our nose stung by trying to get pass happy this year, I hope the lesson has finally sunk in.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
We'll see how long this balanced thing lasts

That's the thing that worries me. Last year, they were guilty of trying to square peg a round hole, both within the season and within individual games. I understand why they try to do that, but I still don't get it. This team performs best within the West Coast philosophy, if not by prototypical West Coast tactics. Additionally, I believe it was Jref22 that noted running the ball runs the clock and keeps the D fresh. I think that's a key point when you're trying to maximize the strengths of this team against the strengths of an opponent.

Anyway, we've already had our nose stung by trying to get pass happy this year, I hope the lesson has finally sunk in.

Sucks when our pass puts us at a disadvantage ... Glad we have some decent RBs
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Oct 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM ]

x2, couldn't agree more

Originally posted by sfout:
Originally posted by Young_Montana:
Alex Smith sucks A$$ period!

go back into your troll cave?
Yeah, a short list of all Young_Montana's post, very insightful

Will Moss Block: Sign T.O back he'll block

Kaepernick 2012: Captain check down can't win us a Super Bowl throwing for 100 yards a game. Start Kap.

Moss only got one pass thrown his way: Randy would get more balls thrown his way if captain check down wasn't the starting QB, Colin or Scott can do a better job that's all I'm saying.

2009: Rex Ryan comments about 49ers: Rex Ryan would have been fired if Alex Smith was his QB.

The Defense Thread: Defense looks great! Alex Smith still plays like doo doo damn shame.

More Wildcat: Call our wildcat Gold Rush.

Please go away!
Originally posted by Jesu80ncleats:

Kaepernick 2012: Captain check down can't win us a Super Bowl throwing for 100 yards a game. Start Kap.

Moss only got one pass thrown his way: Randy would get more balls thrown his way if captain check down wasn't the starting QB, Colin or Scott can do a better job that's all I'm saying.

2009: Rex Ryan comments about 49ers: Rex Ryan would have been fired if Alex Smith was his QB.

The Defense Thread: Defense looks great! Alex Smith still plays like doo doo damn shame.

Please go away!

We all started a bit ornery, trying to make our mark. I'm sure he'll come around.

That was a nice way of doing a head check. Not sure if I agree with the "please don't come around," but you gotta cut rookies some slack. Now, whose got duct tape?

Please go away!

We all started a bit ornery, trying to make our mark. I'm sure he'll come around.

That was a nice way of doing a head check. Not sure if I agree with the "please don't come around," but you gotta cut rookies some slack. Now, whose got duct tape?

LOL ok fine im sorry Young_Montana, your welcome here on the zone, but come on!

Please go away!

"duct tape"?!! Now that sounds like the good 'ol fashioned hazing I'm used to.
Sucks when our pass puts us at a disadvantage ... Glad we have some decent RBs

I think "disadvantage" is more of a glass half full/empty kind of thing.

It's still early days, but it seems to me that the key story of this year is the arrival of Singletary's big, brutish, blunt force trauma O-line. Those draft picks have finally fleshed out and they're starting to hit on all cylinders. This is a unique weapon in a pass-happy, trend-following league. Better yet, its an asymmetrical weapon against defenses that are primed to stop the pass. For better or worse, this is the way the team is built, currently. So you have to maximize what it's good at, rather than trying to square peg a round hole.

Qnnhan7 raised a nice point in Marvin's post-game post about how effective Smith has become at audibling against defenses. I heartily agree that Smith isn't one of the league's most talented passers, but he is demonstrating that he is among the smartest. Sure he has trouble floating in a delicate sideline pass, but he calls a great game at the line of scrimmage. Moreover, he's got a solid boxer's sensibility. That is, as the old boxing adage goes, you "keep punching the cut eye." If a defense cannot stop the run, you run the ball until they stop you, and when they commit to stopping the run, you gore them with a pass. Outside of the Vikings game, he's been remarkably good at taking what the defense gives him and punishing them for doing so. It's not a sexy way to win, but it's a good result.

Last year, I would have agreed with your remark, but we've seen what Smith is capable of, when necessary. This year, I'm more interested in avoiding the "when necessary." This is a talented football team that should play to its strengths, and I hope it continues to do so.
Share 49ersWebzone