There are 82 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Moss only got one pass thrown his way

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
alex doesnt throw deep though.

He also doesn't throw into double-triple coverage. Everytime Moss goes deep it seems like the defense has at least 2 guys on him. That's why he's not getting many chances to make a big play. As soon as an opponent decides to leave Moss single covered and go after guys like Crabtree and VD underneath, Moss will have a heyday.
Also, anybody who thinks we are hiding or saving Moss is on crack.

Everybody thought Harbaugh was saving or "hiding" the offense last year. Every week everybody thought that finally Harbaugh would unleash the offense. What people didn't realize (and many still don't) is that ball-control, running, short passing, and tough defense is the 49ers game plan EVERY SINGLE WEEK. Nobody is hiding anything.

This is why I will be shocked if Moss is ever more than a decoy or a role player on this team.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Oct 1, 2012 at 2:16 PM ]
Moss won't b***h, nor will he b***h cause we're winning. -And if he's b***hing while we're winning we cut/trade his ass for a 5th rounder to the Jets.
theres legitimate things in our passing game to worry about. this is not one of them at all. 44 runs yesterday to 21 passes. hes already getting in on 30 percent of the snaps anyways. can we stop getting worked up about somthing a casual observer of the team points out?
Moss, not what he used to be.
AJ Jenkins, not ready for prime time.
LMJ, just a little to small for the pros.
Jacobs banged up from trying to be a banger.
THANK GOD FOR MARIO MANINGHAM!!!!

Moss is running the useless fade routes we had Ginn running last year, and Smith has shown improvement, but there isn't any one he can't overthrow on the fade!

Mario is a slight upgrade over Morgan, other than that we have pretty much the same offense as last year, some great off season, we sure gave Smith a lot of new weapons!
The only real issue I have with how we're handling Moss is I'd like to see him more involved in the red zone. 154 career touchdowns. He's the biggest, most athletic target we have so when we're inside the red zone he should be heavily featured.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Anyone willing to admit he might be a little more involved if Kaep was the QB?

Related question: Are you inclined to be less involved as a fan as long as Alex Smith is the QB?
As of right now he'd likely be LESS involved if Kaep was QB simply because we'd be running the ball 75% of the time.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
He is doing his job as a decoy, he takes a CB and Safety with him every time he goes deep. I dont see the big deal. The coaching staff sees him practice everyday. Anyone ever think that he just might not be that good anymore?

That would be me.

If he really had anything left, I believe Harbaugh would have him more involved. At this point my speculation is that Harbaugh knows he is not the major threat he once was and is therefore keeping him in a low profile so the rest of the league does not know what JH already has learned. As long as the team is winning that will continue. However, if AJ Jenkins starts to light it up in practice, that will change.

I was beginning to think this but after seeing him get so wide upon on the out routes or the quick curls, it is obvious that they are playing far, far back on him.

Also, after seeing him nearly wrangle in that ball thrown by Kaep yesterday, Moss has definitely NOT lost it.

IMO, the reason teams are playing far off him is a result of his PAST reputation, not what he has shown this season. Yes, that has made him effective on the under routes and that is why I speculate (I am speculating as I clearly have no hot line to Harbaugh) that JH is preserving that threat without exposing what Moss actually is still capable of doing.

As to the effort on the Kaep pass; I have seen the old Randy Moss make that play with one hand tied behind him. So while I am not willing to make the entire case on one play, or even four games, I have seen nothing to prove to me he is still anything close to the guy he was three years ago. I am not opposed to keeping him on the team, especially as long as opponent play off him and allow him to run the under stuff relatively unguarded.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:

Moss is running the useless fade routes we had Ginn running last year, and Smith has shown improvement, but there isn't any one he can't overthrow on the fade!

Mario is a slight upgrade over Morgan, other than that we have pretty much the same offense as last year, some great off season, we sure gave Smith a lot of new weapons!

Even with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, our offense wouldn't look much different than it is now.
Smith doesn't look at the name on the back of the jersey. He just throws to his first open read, period. If the five yard out to Bruce Miller is uncovered he'll make that throw ten times out of ten. If the first read is Calvin Johnson running deep, and he is open, he'll make that throw; but if he see's the safety over the top, he won't risk it.

Smith runs the offense, he doesn't look to make big plays. After eight seasons this should be clear. The mythical "opened up" offense is not coming. Smith is not comfortable playing that way; he has said it himself. Smith is comfortable throwing to the first open read, and the more comfortable he is, the more likely we are to win games.
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
I was not expecting him to have a huge year, but cmon' guys.....All the beat writers kept talking about how Moss was the best receiver on the team in training camp. I know its just training camp, but I think we all believed he would have a bigger impact thus far.

Or it might have been that he was the best receiver on this team at that time. Remember, he was competing with the former #3 receiver on the NY Giants, along with Michael Crabtree who was far from a polished receiver, Kyle Williams (who most wanted cut), Ted Ginn who came in exchange for a bag of chips, and some rookies. So while that statement might have been true, it is no great endorsement. Now if someone said he was the best receiver on the GB Packers during TC...
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Even with Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald, our offense wouldn't look much different than it is now.
Smith doesn't look at the name on the back of the jersey. He just throws to his first open read, period. If the five yard out to Bruce Miller is uncovered he'll make that throw ten times out of ten. If the first read is Calvin Johnson running deep, and he is open, he'll make that throw; but if he see's the safety over the top, he won't risk it.

Smith runs the offense, he doesn't look to make big plays. After eight seasons this should be clear. The mythical "opened up" offense is not coming. Smith is not comfortable playing that way; he has said it himself. Smith is comfortable throwing to the first open read, and the more comfortable he is, the more likely we are to win games.

I agree, and I'm okay with that, Smith foes a fine job with the football, doesn't take to many risks. I think the reason we looked bad in Minnesota was we went away from letting Smith just get the ball out to the open receiver, it seemed to me that we were trying to force it to Moss.

My point is this, Moss has not been that significant and upgrade over what we got from Ginn last year, he's better, but he's not young Randy Moss better!
I agree, and I'm okay with that, Smith foes a fine job with the football, doesn't take to many risks. I think the reason we looked bad in Minnesota was we went away from letting Smith just get the ball out to the open receiver, it seemed to me that we were trying to force it to Moss.

My point is this, Moss has not been that significant and upgrade over what we got from Ginn last year, he's better, but he's not young Randy Moss better!

Would Ted Ginn draw three defenders if we sent him deep?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Bootlegger:
Yep, definitely agree here. He might actually get the ball thrown to him more than a once a game, and we might have a chance at seeing some exciting 1st down deep ball touchdowns.

yes Jh signed moss as a way to get rid of alex . he convinced moss to play no role in the first half of the year knowing that sooner or later the smart fans would call for ck to come in and throw the ball to moss. JH never wanted alex in the first place so this is the way he can get ck in, satisfy moss, satisfy the millions of fans who are clammering for ck to come in and it gets him off the hook. haha. . i needed that
Originally posted by lamontb:
It is what it is. Let's just get that W and worry about Moss later on.
This.

Not to make him sound worthless b/c even at this age I'd expect him to be effective going deep, it's just if we're winning then there shouldn't be complaints as if we're losing. Granted we still have flaws that have been exposed, like if we play against a patient team, but if we're winning we must be doing something right. And I'm not implying keeping him on the bench/out of plays is what our bread & butter is, I'm still waiting to see a replica of my old Madden experiences putting him on the Niners and running deep routes, but if we're winning, no need to fix what isn't broken.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home