There are 189 users in the forums

Moss only got one pass thrown his way

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Moss gets targeted once on Sunday Posted by Mike Florio on October 1, 2012, 9:14 AM EDT
AP Randy Moss has given the Jets fits in the past. On Sunday, the ball came his way only once, on a deep ball into triple coverage.

While the Moss of old would have caught it, the 35-year-old version of one of the greatest wideouts in league history didn't bring it down.

It's unclear why Moss isn't getting more looks. Hall of Famer Jerry Rice addressed the situation prior to Sunday's win.

"I really don't know what the plan is for him. I thought he would be more involved and that they would be throwing the ball downfield and that he would be on the field more," Rice told KNBR, via the San Francisco Chronicle. "So I don't know what the game plan is for using him, or what Jim Harbaugh is thinking right now. I do think Randy Moss still has some football in him, but he's going to have to make those plays."

It's hard for Moss to gripe, given that the 49ers are 3-1. Still, with the Jets possibly in the market for a receiver, maybe Moss would prefer to actually contribute to a so-so team than coast on a contender.

That could be the thing to watch over the next four weeks, given the adjustment to the trade deadline. If one of the top-end AFC teams develops a need and expresses an interest in swinging a deal, maybe the Niners will flip Randy for a draft pick, like the Pats did during the 2010 season. Then again, with the 49ers looking to be on track for the Super Bowl, the last thing they want to do is help any team they may be facing, from either conference.

Personally , I would like to see Moss get at least 5 passes thrown his way, Kaeperknick almost got it to him deep , with 3 defenders on him , Moss almost hauled it in

Hopefully we can get him involved a bit more, if our passing attack is clicking , it will make it difficult for the defense to bring down that 8th man in the box ...I know we are a run first team , but if we can scare the defense with our passing attack, it will create more opportunities for the running game
He is doing his job as a decoy, he takes a CB and Safety with him every time he goes deep. I dont see the big deal. The coaching staff sees him practice everyday. Anyone ever think that he just might not be that good anymore?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
He is doing his job as a decoy, he takes a CB and Safety with him every time he goes deep. I dont see the big deal. The coaching staff sees him practice everyday. Anyone ever think that he just might not be that good anymore?
i agree with wookie. while it is,,, curious, it is not a big deal.mario and crabs are younger and maybe they are just a bit better than moss. I do wonder if they will work ginn more into the rotation? we won 34-0 , behind efficient quarterback play, a violently good defense and a very sound balenced running game so the lack of the use of moss is not tragic to me
The media likes to make this an issue. It's not an issue if Moss knew it was about the team first, and my feeling is Harbaugh was rather clear when Moss signed that the team was first.

Moss will have a big game eventually. It's just not gonna be every week. This week it was the run game's time to shine and they got the W.
he did have a good run block
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Tired about hearing about moss, he took a year off last year and were taken a chance with him, we owe him nothing but a contract, these threads are annoying
Originally posted by JMC52:
Tired about hearing about moss, he took a year off last year and were taken a chance with him, we owe him nothing but a contract, these threads are annoying

This.

I'm tired of Florios running tally of Moss catches. Moss knew the score when he signed and hasn't complained at all. He was in there in the red-zone packages.

My sense is that Randy just wants to be a part of a team and he wants to win. It's really that simple. He doesn't NEED to be THE guy anymore.

The media needs to freakin let it go.
It is what it is. Let's just get that W and worry about Moss later on.
SF 49ers
not
SF Randy Moss's
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Last week the media tried to instigate something when they saw him sitting away from his teammates.

Is he being underutilized? Yes.

The team doesn't want to use him for underneath stuff because he'll get banged up....see last week for that hit he took on the slant.

They can only use him as a decoy on the deep because Alex can't throw deep. Still, at least once or twice, they need to throw it up for him. Yesterday they did it once. I'm not going to be too hard on the playcalling. I think early on, they got a sense that the run was going to work well and they used it effectively throughout to control TOP and slowly overwhelm the Jets. Any game you can control on the ground like that, you don't need to go pass happy on.

and 34-0

/
I trust the coaching stuff and I still think he'll make a significant contribution sometime during the regular season, at least. It's not like he isn't making contributions to the team with blocking and pulling extra coverage, it's just the media is chomping at the bit to see him melt down in some fashion. Moss knows the media, and isn't going to give them that satisfaction. He passed TO for TDs and is 4th in receptions now. So it's not like his tenure with the 49ers hasn't done anything for him.
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:

I really think that's the gist of it; he's just not that good anymore and all the hype coming out of camp was just that: hype. He's taking dives when he sees contact coming, short arms passes and doesn't make extra effort on balls that used to be catchable for him. At some point, his value as a decoy will evaporate. Then what? In the meantime, we have 2 high round draft picks not even activated. Some say that's a tribute to our depth, but when your first rounder isn't even good enough to suit up........but that's a different topic. All I can say is that his play and "rapport" with Alex is 180 degrees from what we were led to believe from camp.
Moss will get his balls.. like t.o says "its just a matter of time"
man i really hope people here are smarter than outsiders. yeh targeted once in 21 pass attempts, 44 rushing attempts. he already plays just 30 percent of the snaps even if we didnt have the 44 rushing attempts. ofcourse his workload was light this week. next week it might be heavier, week after that less. Anyone whose followed Harbaughs niners knows anyone can have a big day on a given week or completely dissapear (See Delaine Walker)
Share 49ersWebzone