After watching the Coaches Film (courtesy of Whomeam) the Viking game is much clearer in my head. Here's what I observed;
1. Ponder only looked for his first option, if it was covered he scrambled or ran.
2. Even on running plays the Viking safeties were backpedaling away from the line of scrimmage.
3. The Viking linebackers, for the most part, were near the line of scrimmage until the last few minutes of the game.
4. Every time Alex rolled to his right to pass it was a short throw.
5. The intermediate pass over the middle could have been exploited more.
6.Hunter was ineffective. The game called for the Niners to pound Frank up the middle.
7. Petersen is the best back in football (even after the surgery), however, his upright running style and planting at the line of scrimmage to find
find an opening is tough on the knees.
8.All in all the game wasn't that bad, we had our shots but bad calls and poor execution cost us more than the Vikings did. Ponder played the game of his life.