There are 83 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Aldon was Ponder's nightmare last game, he was chasing him all over the place. Ponder made unbelievable plays and had the game of his life, that is the reason we couldn't stop their offense. There was nothing wrong with our defense. I'm not trying to compare Ponder with Alex Smith, but ignoring the game Ponder had ignores the reality of what really happened in Minnesota.

Ponder did have the game of his life... but it isn't as if Ponder had to struggle THAT much to evade perceived pressure.

I went through every play of the first half. Closely watching Aldon Smith and Ponder.
This was only from the first half, where we lost the game...
Ponder made a touchdown throw while running backwards from Goldson on 4th down. Great play. If he couldn't complete that one play, the whole game changes.
Ponder ran for a touchdown when Aldon had him dead to rights. We can blame Aldon for not getting to him fast enough, but that would be harsh. Ponder took off like a rocket the moment he saw Aldon beat his man, he ran through the whole defense for that touchdown. I think it was third down(?), that play changed the whole outlook of the game.
Ponder ran from Aldon after a stunt up the middle. He ran to the left sideline and for a first down. Again, he escaped really quick.
Ponder ran from Aldon to the right, and threw a perfect pass to a well covered player on third down. This again was another critical play. It was a dagger that kept Minnesota's momentum going.
Ponder ran from Aldon to the right, and threw a pretty long pass to a receiver down field. I don't remember if it was third down, but it was a critical play because the Vikings were backed up pretty far due to a sack or penalty. Again, it kept Minnesota's confidence high and they were beginning to believe.

I couple other times, Aldon was free rushing Ponder, but he got rid of the ball to his checkdown in an instant.

You say he didn't have to struggle? Well, I guess that's because he made it look easy. What he did was definitely not easy.
Aldon was Ponder's nightmare last game, he was chasing him all over the place. Ponder made unbelievable plays and had the game of his life, that is the reason we couldn't stop their offense. There was nothing wrong with our defense. I'm not trying to compare Ponder with Alex Smith, but ignoring the game Ponder had ignores the reality of what really happened in Minnesota.

Ponder did have the game of his life... but it isn't as if Ponder had to struggle THAT much to evade perceived pressure.

I went through every play of the first half. Closely watching Aldon Smith and Ponder.
Ponder made a touchdown throw while running backwards from Goldson on 4th down. Great play. If he couldn't complete that one play, the whole game changes.
Ponder ran for a touchdown when Aldon had him dead to rights. We can blame Aldon for not getting to him fast enough, but that would be harsh. Ponder took off like a rocket the moment he saw Aldon beat his man, he ran through the whole defense for that touchdown. I think it was third down(?), that play changed the whole outlook of the game.
Ponder ran from Aldon after a stunt up the middle. He ran to the left sideline and for a first down. Again, he escaped really quick.
Ponder ran from Aldon to the right, and threw a perfect pass to a well covered player on third down. This again was another critical play. It was a dagger that kept Minnesota's momentum going.
Ponder ran from Aldon to the right, and threw a pretty long pass to a receiver down field. I don't remember if it was third down, but it was a critical play because the Vikings were backed up pretty far due to a sack or penalty. Again, it kept Minnesota's confidence high and they were beginning to believe.

I couple other times, Aldon was free rushing Ponder, but he got rid of the ball to his checkdown in an instant.

You say he didn't have to struggle? Well, I guess that's because he made it look easy. What he did was definitely not easy.

Look.. I appreciate the efforts.. I really will try to look again, but at this point of watching so many times? I gotta stick with my assessment. Ponder sis so much well.. really did.. I think he played beyond his normal..

I honestly don't recall that much he did that was REALLY beating extreme pressure though. I don't know... maybe not making sense.. drank a lot and still going.. but it is what it is at this point.

Look.. I appreciate the efforts.. I really will try to look again, but at this point of watching so many times? I gotta stick with my assessment. Ponder sis so much well.. really did.. I think he played beyond his normal..

I honestly don't recall that much he did that was REALLY beating extreme pressure though. I don't know... maybe not making sense.. drank a lot and still going.. but it is what it is at this point.

Who knows ... What if ponder turns out to be a stud in years to come or maybe this year....
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Who knows ... What if ponder turns out to be a stud in years to come or maybe this year....

Hey man.. I was a big fan of Ponder.. really was. Home field advantage is huge.. so it will be interesting to see how he performs @ Detroit. I think dude is good, but thanks to MN outscheming us + him playing out his arse.. he (they) slapped our arrogant arses.

Happens... but it's early, so now we see what's what.......

Hey man.. I was a big fan of Ponder.. really was. Home field advantage is huge.. so it will be interesting to see how he performs @ Detroit. I think dude is good, but thanks to MN outscheming us + him playing out his arse.. he (they) slapped our arrogant arses.

I'm gonna be watching Minn/DET game while watching our game just to see if Minn is real or was Just pumped

Hopefully they are better than what everyone else thinks ... And it will help me with our loss

I'm gonna be watching Minn/DET game while watching our game just to see if Minn is real or was Just pumped

Hopefully they are better than what everyone else thinks ... And it will help me with our loss

Horrible idea, and I'll tell you why... Watching one game live is tough enough to get a genuine feel for what's what... you try mixing in another game too? Guess what? Ignorance... stupid and tarded assessments made. But... hey.. that goes with the territory sometimes, so yippie.. go do what ya gotta do.

Horrible idea, and I'll tell you why... Watching one game live is tough enough to get a genuine feel for what's what... you try mixing in another game too? Guess what? Ignorance... stupid and tarded assessments made. But... hey.. that goes with the territory sometimes, so yippie.. go do what ya gotta do.

Might be tough for you...I can watch the game over and over mon-sat next week if I want

It's not hard to tell if we suck or we are having a good game
Might be tough for you...I can watch the game over and over mon-sat next week if I want

haha.. guess we have never met. What do u think I do all week? work for a living?

I look forward to YOUR full review... I give mine.. so like... what's your excuse and stuff?

haha.. guess we have never met. What do u think I do all week? work for a living?

I look forward to YOUR full review... I give mine.. so like... what's your excuse and stuff?

You just said you can't watch more than one live game

And your reviews suck anyways

Ouch yo... that is really hurtful.. u know how much I pride myself on your individual opinion. Now I must slink off and lick my wounds. Man... so harsh..

thanks for being.. exactly.. who I thought you were.. by the way...

Ouch yo... that is really hurtful.. u know how much I pride myself on your individual opinion. Now I must slink off and lick my wounds. Man... so harsh..

thanks for being.. exactly.. who I thought you were.. by the way...

Oh quit it , you talk crap too
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Somehow, I hope Coach comes around to making All Done a full time passrusher, ie, I would really like to see the 4-3 again, at least against some teams, eg, the Vikings as they were picking us apart , both on O and D. I think the change up would be good, would make teams have to practice playing us 4-3 and 3-4. Somehow, seeing Aldon coming around the OT, time after time, and if not getting a sack, either tackling the QB or definitely scaring the bejasus out of him. I just think a Qb with Aldon coming at him every play would be a nightmare for most QBs, and would make them way less effective. Remember, when Aldon bullrushed, spin rushed, or whatever rushed, the Qb was under constant pressure, and often had to dump the ball or throw out of bounds, etc. It would be difficult to quantitate just exactly how much of an effect Aldo coming at the QB every play would have on a team. Last yr we saw it every down he played. This yr , with coverage duties, he is more tenative and he can create way less confusion and outright mauling of the qb. Go 4-3, even if just for awhile in some games, esp, if like in the Vikes game, we aren't doing very well. I think it would wake folks up on BOTH sides of the ball. His passrushing lights the entire team on fire. Without it we seem...well, just kind of ordinary.

Yes. Aldon played really well. Constant pressure. Ponder just made miracles. There is nothing wrong with Aldon. He's just as good or better than last year. He just needs to quit getting drunk and stabbed. Otherwise he's fine.
I've gone over the game several times and something clicked about Ponder. He looked like a college QB. He's listed at 6'2" but seemed smaller. One read and go.

don't know how long I have before my girl wakes up, but I can say with certainty so far... first drive... not a single pressure from Aldon. 7:20 left in the first... and not... one.

to be continued, I hope....
don't know how long I have before my girl wakes up, but I can say with certainty so far... first drive... not a single pressure from Aldon. 7:20 left in the first... and not... one.

to be continued, I hope....

3:05 1st quarter... Aldon gets his first pressure with an inside stunt. Hits QB after he releases incomplete sideline...
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home