LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 200 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wonder if Aldon playing all downs this yr is as good as when he came in and just bullrushed last yr. It appears he is playing more cautiously, and hence doesn't rush as if his hair is on fire. Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but when he bullrushed last yr, sack or not, it really uplifted the D and the rest of the team as well. That said, that has nothing to do with Whitner not being able to cover TEs. Also, the fact that the team and coach literally sleepwalked thru this game is, well, just one of those losses en route to 11-5, and a SB win. Big deal is wiping out Rex ryan and his Jets.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I wonder if Aldon playing all downs this yr is as good as when he came in and just bullrushed last yr. It appears he is playing more cautiously, and hence doesn't rush as if his hair is on fire. Maybe I am grasping at straws here, but when he bullrushed last yr, sack or not, it really uplifted the D and the rest of the team as well. That said, that has nothing to do with Whitner not being able to cover TEs. Also, the fact that the team and coach literally sleepwalked thru this game is, well, just one of those losses en route to 11-5, and a SB win. Big deal is wiping out Rex ryan and his Jets.
I think he is getting tired. Looks like it to me anyway. He has good push at the beginning of the game but as it goes on you can really see him tire. Thats what Ive noticed anyway

Nope... not grasping at all. Aldon's losing that quick first step when he's asked to read a play instead of instantly attacking. It's really not a good thing... hard to blame him, but it's still not a good thing.

4-3 defense... DO IT !!!!
Bad Play calling on offense. There doesn't seem to be any flexibility and effective play calling given what the opposition is doing.

The TV announcers were saying the opposing CB was playing 15 yards off of Randy Moss. Take what the defense gives you and hit Randy underneath the CB for 8 to 10 yards at a time until the opposition takes it away from you. They threw it to Randy once, then went back to another play that the 49ers offense apparently had scripted and ran it into the line
Miami, that's one point, but the other is randy played only 7 plays in the second half, if I recall a recent comment in another thread. Hard for him to catch anything while sitting on the bench. I actually think Coach has so much talent that he might just be having a bit of trouble trying to figure out who plays and when.
I rewatched it on NFL Rewind. And overall I have to say Ponder was hitting miracle throws. Totally covered, pass rusher in his face, falling away, throwing off balance, on his back foot and completing miracle throws 20 yards down the field into heavy coverage. Honeslty I don't think Ponder could duplicate that again. He was unbelievable. The best I've ever seen him play.

We went away from Gore way too much in this game and it bit us. He still makes the thing go. It was throw, throw, throw, punt. And we got behind. A position we are not good from. Ahead we are a powerhouse with our defense and running game.

Inopputune times for fumbles and missing interceptions. Frank had an uncharacteristic fumble that cost us on a drive. The Whitner interception miss cost us 7. He had a clear path to the endzone. The personal foul on Goldson was not really a foul. His shoulder hit the player and not in the head. And he backed away at the end. That moved them way up on the drive. Some phantom pass interference calls. We never capitalized on all the Toby fumbles. Those were late though. The one time the ball squirted out of Adrian Petersons hands and pops miraculasly into a Vikings hands passing all 49ers in the area. Just a lot of fluke plays in this game. Tons of turnovers we could have had or could have capitalized on. But we didn't.

I think people read too much into this game.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Joecool:
In terms of the NFL, that was not pressure enough to change his throw. Yes, he got hit once he let it go, but these are the throws QB's deal with in the NFL no different than a WR who is a foot open is considered WIDE OPEN.

Just like most expect Moss to make that catch off the slant, Alex is EXPECTED to make that throw if he's hit after the ball left his hand AND after he already hopped twice. I know, he may have hopped to wait for Moss to turn but that's another discussion in itself which is he should have not waited and taken a little off of the throw and throw it early to the pylon still giving Moss time to turn and get there.

But he waited longer than he should have to throw it. He is known for seeing before throwing most of the time.

He didn't wait for Moss to make the cut to throw the ball. He had to wait for Moss to get closer to his cut. Infact the timing is pretty close to perfect. He threw the ball before Moss turned to look for the ball because of the longer distance of the throw. But the throw was some what affected by the closing speed of the unblocked rusher.

That's your opinion. Seen too many QB's make accurate throws in a similar position. Don't buy it. Ponder was able make some nice throws just before being hit.

Yup, and any QB pointing the tip of the football backwards at the start of their throwing motion is fundamentally flawed and will suffer accuracy and timing issues.
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
Bad Play calling on offense. There doesn't seem to be any flexibility and effective play calling given what the opposition is doing.

The TV announcers were saying the opposing CB was playing 15 yards off of Randy Moss. Take what the defense gives you and hit Randy underneath the CB for 8 to 10 yards at a time until the opposition takes it away from you. They threw it to Randy once, then went back to another play that the 49ers offense apparently had scripted and ran it into the line

Good point! And we don't seem to target injured players like teams do against us (see NFCCG).
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I rewatched it on NFL Rewind. And overall I have to say Ponder was hitting miracle throws. Totally covered, pass rusher in his face, falling away, throwing off balance, on his back foot and completing miracle throws 20 yards down the field into heavy coverage. Honeslty I don't think Ponder could duplicate that again. He was unbelievable. The best I've ever seen him play.

We went away from Gore way too much in this game and it bit us. He still makes the thing go. It was throw, throw, throw, punt. And we got behind. A position we are not good from. Ahead we are a powerhouse with our defense and running game.

Inopputune times for fumbles and missing interceptions. Frank had an uncharacteristic fumble that cost us on a drive. The Whitner interception miss cost us 7. He had a clear path to the endzone. The personal foul on Goldson was not really a foul. His shoulder hit the player and not in the head. And he backed away at the end. That moved them way up on the drive. Some phantom pass interference calls. We never capitalized on all the Toby fumbles. Those were late though. The one time the ball squirted out of Adrian Petersons hands and pops miraculasly into a Vikings hands passing all 49ers in the area. Just a lot of fluke plays in this game. Tons of turnovers we could have had or could have capitalized on. But we didn't.

Good analysis, SD. I agree.

I was so mad at that penalty on Goldson, and cost us the points. BS calls against us throughout the game. No excuse, but didn't help, either.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
I think he is getting tired. Looks like it to me anyway. He has good push at the beginning of the game but as it goes on you can really see him tire. Thats what Ive noticed anyway
probably from all that blood he lost from the penknife wounds. we need a decent back up who can come in, spell smith and brooks and rush the passer.. of course i thought that when they signed haggans, huggans, higgans or whoever the f**k he was

• cciowa
  • Veteran

they do and i agree with you tenfold about gore. gore was working vs the giants last year and they went away from it. i did not get it then and i did not get it sunday. just a overall bad day by all, that is the only way you can explain why we did everything wrong that we usually do well. from missed field goals to missed tackles. i think some people read way to much into this game because they have certain players they just hate but thats a whole other story
This coaching staff tends to outthink themselves at times, and this game is a good example of that. Vikings have a horrible secondary, and the offense tried to air it out before establishing the run. Combine that with Ponder making play after play and it just back fired. Tried to exploit the pass but couldnt, tried to establish the run but couldnt capitalize before being put in a game of catching up. By that time the team had no motivation and looked worn out.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

Nope... not grasping at all. Aldon's losing that quick first step when he's asked to read a play instead of instantly attacking. It's really not a good thing... hard to blame him, but it's still not a good thing.

4-3 defense... DO IT !!!!

I don't know... When Aldon is strictly rushing the passer, he's still explosive. But when we are watching for the run, their primary goal is to stand up the OL and hold the gaps. He seems to be doing this well also.
Originally posted by cciowa:

they do and i agree with you tenfold about gore. gore was working vs the giants last year and they went away from it. i did not get it then and i did not get it sunday. just a overall bad day by all, that is the only way you can explain why we did everything wrong that we usually do well. from missed field goals to missed tackles. i think some people read way to much into this game because they have certain players they just hate but thats a whole other story

They want to blame Alex.... But our D was the worst part. And just fluke plays that should have been turnovers that didn't end up as such.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
They want to blame Alex.... But our D was the worst part. And just fluke plays that should have been turnovers that didn't end up as such.

yes because only leading the team to 10 points is enough to win the games.
Share 49ersWebzone