LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 193 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They want to blame Alex.... But our D was the worst part. And just fluke plays that should have been turnovers that didn't end up as such.

yes because only leading the team to 10 points is enough to win the games.

Dude. Get over it. The Vikings defense had a great game. Ours, not so much. The offense started breaking down in the third quarter after Minn ate up ridiculous amounts of clock.
They want to blame Alex.... But our D was the worst part. And just fluke plays that should have been turnovers that didn't end up as such.

We had 13.... And he was never on the field because our D could not get them off the field. 3 - 80 + yard drives and massive time of possesion for them compared with us.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Sep 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

We had 13.... And he was never on the field because our D could not get them off the field. 3 - 80 + yard drives and massive time of possesion for them compared with us.

That's because he didnt convert third downs ad usual we both had the same number of possessions.

That's because he didnt convert third downs ad usual we both had the same number of possessions.

Please. You understand time of possession. They out 49ered the 49ers. Huge long drives. Some of them were like 10 minutes. There is only 15 in a quarter. They would run out an entire quarter sometimes. Just going on long drives. We didn't even have a chance in those times. The same way we play ball to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field they did to us. Defense, running game, convert 3rd downs (mostly Percy Harvin), keep drives going, eat up huge amounts of clock, keep the other team OFF THE FIELD. There is no way you can watch this game and not see that happen.

It's our D's responsibility to get them off the field. And they didn't.

Please. You understand time of possession. They out 49ered the 49ers. Huge long drives. Some of them were like 10 minutes. There is only 15 in a quarter. They would run out an entire quarter sometimes. Just going on long drives. We didn't even have a chance in those times. The same way we play ball to keep Aaron Rodgers off the field they did to us. Defense, running game, convert 3rd downs (mostly Percy Harvin), keep drives going, eat up huge amounts of clock, keep the other team OFF THE FIELD. There is no way you can watch this game and not see that happen.

It's our D's responsibility to get them off the field. And they didn't.

If Smith had better pocket awareness, we would also have longer drives.

And after Gore fumbled, we stopped them to get the ball back.

We got 19 first downs. 14 of them by throwing. 10 3rd down attempts. 4 converted. That means 10 first downs by air before even attempting 3rd down. I'd love to see a couple more 3rd down conversions, but still, we were pretty effective through the air...
Originally posted by mkmasn:

Dude. Get over it. The Vikings defense had a great game. Ours, not so much. The offense started breaking down in the third quarter after Minn ate up ridiculous amounts of clock.

The fluke plays alone indicated to me that this was definitely one of those we just mark in the L column, lord knows we won't let half of those TO's slip away and that our offense can produce more than 10 or 15 points or w/e...

i.e a loss that I'm willing to get over cause this team just stepped up to the plate, we've got plenty of the season left to make our own statement
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:
The fluke plays alone indicated to me that this was definitely one of those we just mark in the L column, lord knows we won't let half of those TO's slip away and that our offense can produce more than 10 or 15 points or w/e...

i.e a loss that I'm willing to get over cause this team just stepped up to the plate, we've got plenty of the season left to make our own statement

True statement.
Originally posted by mkmasn:
Originally posted by rEspEctdA49ers:

True statement.
Hopefully this left a really bad taste in their mouth..cause it did mine
Somehow, I hope Coach comes around to making All Done a full time passrusher, ie, I would really like to see the 4-3 again, at least against some teams, eg, the Vikings as they were picking us apart , both on O and D. I think the change up would be good, would make teams have to practice playing us 4-3 and 3-4. Somehow, seeing Aldon coming around the OT, time after time, and if not getting a sack, either tackling the QB or definitely scaring the bejasus out of him. I just think a Qb with Aldon coming at him every play would be a nightmare for most QBs, and would make them way less effective. Remember, when Aldon bullrushed, spin rushed, or whatever rushed, the Qb was under constant pressure, and often had to dump the ball or throw out of bounds, etc. It would be difficult to quantitate just exactly how much of an effect Aldo coming at the QB every play would have on a team. Last yr we saw it every down he played. This yr , with coverage duties, he is more tenative and he can create way less confusion and outright mauling of the qb. Go 4-3, even if just for awhile in some games, esp, if like in the Vikes game, we aren't doing very well. I think it would wake folks up on BOTH sides of the ball. His passrushing lights the entire team on fire. Without it we seem...well, just kind of ordinary.

I just want to see the 49ers use Randy Moss. It's like you have Jerry Rice on your team and he spends most of the offensive snaps on the sideline???
Originally posted by MiamiNiner:
I just want to see the 49ers use Randy Moss. It's like you have Jerry Rice on your team and he spends most of the offensive snaps on the sideline???

He is not Jerry Rice
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Somehow, I hope Coach comes around to making All Done a full time passrusher, ie, I would really like to see the 4-3 again, at least against some teams, eg, the Vikings as they were picking us apart , both on O and D. I think the change up would be good, would make teams have to practice playing us 4-3 and 3-4. Somehow, seeing Aldon coming around the OT, time after time, and if not getting a sack, either tackling the QB or definitely scaring the bejasus out of him. I just think a Qb with Aldon coming at him every play would be a nightmare for most QBs, and would make them way less effective. Remember, when Aldon bullrushed, spin rushed, or whatever rushed, the Qb was under constant pressure, and often had to dump the ball or throw out of bounds, etc. It would be difficult to quantitate just exactly how much of an effect Aldo coming at the QB every play would have on a team. Last yr we saw it every down he played. This yr , with coverage duties, he is more tenative and he can create way less confusion and outright mauling of the qb. Go 4-3, even if just for awhile in some games, esp, if like in the Vikes game, we aren't doing very well. I think it would wake folks up on BOTH sides of the ball. His passrushing lights the entire team on fire. Without it we seem...well, just kind of ordinary.

Aldon was Ponder's nightmare last game, he was chasing him all over the place. Ponder made unbelievable plays and had the game of his life, that is the reason we couldn't stop their offense. There was nothing wrong with our defense. I'm not trying to compare Ponder with Alex Smith, but ignoring the game Ponder had ignores the reality of what really happened in Minnesota.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Aldon was Ponder's nightmare last game, he was chasing him all over the place. Ponder made unbelievable plays and had the game of his life, that is the reason we couldn't stop their offense. There was nothing wrong with our defense. I'm not trying to compare Ponder with Alex Smith, but ignoring the game Ponder had ignores the reality of what really happened in Minnesota.

I agree with you for the most part, Ponder did amazing and we failed as a whole, but I really think Ponder was more Aldons nightmare then the opposite, an extremely mobile qb who had the capability to avoid the sack for long enough to get the ball out (successfully) before you got hands on him. Thats more of a nightmare situation for a linebacker.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Ponder did have the game of his life... but it isn't as if Ponder had to struggle THAT much to evade perceived pressure.
Share 49ersWebzone