LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 247 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Some one smarter needs to explained to me why in the world Boone #75 let his guy go on that play. He had him initially.

Zone blocking, and Boone lingered way too long on looking to the right (worrying about AD battling the LE).

Looks like he just gave his guy a good punched then let him go. He must assumed he got Goodwin on the inside to take the guy. But Goodwin took a double team with I assumed Iupati, on another Vikes to the left. Tough missed cause it was there for a TD.

You know.. as u mention that and I look again.. it is a possibility that Goodwin was supposed to take the LDT instead of turning left to block and stay on that RDT.. but watch both Iupati and Boone.. they help with a little shove but their heads are always looking for anyone attacking their perceived gap... Boone REALLY should have taken a peak to Davis' side but no way should he not have darted back to see the LDT there.. (unless he was utterly convinced that Goodwin was supposed to give inside help.
Make me wonder if it's a little on how the receiver ran their routes.

nah... just easier to blame teh qwatabak... no need for in-depth thought.
Originally posted by Joecool:
That was not a rushed pass. Alex hit his back step, was looking in that direction, hopped twice and then threw and then was hit. IMHO, he could have threw it a split second sooner but he still had time to get the throw off. He had the time. The rush shouldn't have affected the throw.

Yeah, I was about to do the same. He can't be serious at this point.

it's just gotten to be such an unfunny joke...

You guys are kidding, right? If this is how you evaluate pressure affecting accuracy on your play by play, then I wouldn't read. He was hit AFTER the ball was out. That's time to throw accurately. He also hopped twice before he threw.

You need to look at the vid again. The commentator in the game even corrected himself after watching the replay and said he had just enough time to throw and he should have hit that.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:06 AM ]
  • Jiks
Alex to VD-11 yards a reception
Alex to Moss- 11 yards a reception
Alex to Crabs-9.8 yards a reception
Alex to Manningham- 10 yards a reception

Rating while throwing to these guys-110

Is this bad? Joe how is this bad?
You guys are kidding, right? If this is how you evaluate pressure affecting accuracy on your play by play, then I wouldn't read. He was hit AFTER the ball was out. That's time to throw accurately. He also hopped twice before he threw.

You need to look at the vid again. The commentator in the game even corrected himself after watching the replay and said he had just enough time to throw and he should have hit that.

It looks like Smith tried to beat the pressure that he saw was coming up. If the defender gets his hands on any part of his throwing arm it would affect the throw into erroneous. Perhaps even pick. I think he was more worry about that then the actual hit which he eventually took. He had time initially, and saw the open throw but he had to wait a tick tock for Moss to get closer to his cut. That's why we see that slight hitch. If you are willing to be fair than we can discuss this further but I will not go any further with some ridiculous 'he could have'.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Alex to VD-11 yards a reception
Alex to Moss- 11 yards a reception
Alex to Crabs-9.8 yards a reception
Alex to Manningham- 10 yards a reception

Rating while throwing to these guys-110

Is this bad? Joe how is this bad?

Huh? I didn't say he played bad. I just think Alex won't do what Ponder did. That's where this offense is limited. If that were Alex behind the MIN Offensive Line, he gets sacked 3 or 4 times. Ponder showed quite a bit of speed and quickness to avoid quite a few sacks AND made some very accurate passes under pressure that were a part of broken plays.

It looks like Smith tried to beat the pressure that he saw was coming up. If the defender gets his hands on any part of his throwing arm it would affect the throw into erroneous. Perhaps even pick. I think he was more worry about that then the actual hit which he eventually took. He had time initially, and saw the open throw but he had to wait a tick tock for Moss to get closer to his cut. That's why we see that slight hitch. If you are willing to be fair than we can discuss this further but I will not go any further with some ridiculous 'he could have'.

Seen too many QB's make that throw. Moss was what is considered wide open. Alex was able to completely follow through with his arm. He missed, simple as that.

These are rediculous excuses and these are the plays he will need to make if we are to win a championship.

Limited in some areas which is why he misses these types of plays more than he makes.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:19 AM ]

Seen too many QB's make that throw. Moss was what is considered wide open. Alex was able to completely follow through with his arm. He missed, simple as that.

These are rediculous excuses and these are the plays he will need to make if we are to win a championship.

Limited in some areas which is why he misses these types of plays more than he makes.

These are not excuses. We are discussing what happened. If he has a chance at it again he probably could make a better throw and connects. The pressure did affect the throw. Most everyone agreed that he could have made the throw even under pressure. But you were saying there's NO PRESSURE. That's just plain wrong.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:26 AM ]
That was not a rushed pass. Alex hit his back step, was looking in that direction, hopped twice and then threw and then was hit. IMHO, he could have threw it a split second sooner but he still had time to get the throw off. He had the time. The rush shouldn't have affected the throw.

Just in case someone forgotten what they wrote a few post ago.... In a world where an INT in the end zone is ruled a TD. Nothing surprised me of how people want to see what they perceived.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:39 AM ]

These are not excuses. We are discussing what happened. If he has a chance at it again he probably could make a better throw and connects. The pressure did affect the throw. Most everyone agreed that he could have made the throw even under pressure. But you were saying there's NO PRESSURE. That's just plain wrong.

In terms of the NFL, that was not pressure enough to change his throw. Yes, he got hit once he let it go, but these are the throws QB's deal with in the NFL no different than a WR who is a foot open is considered WIDE OPEN.

Just like most expect Moss to make that catch off the slant, Alex is EXPECTED to make that throw if he's hit after the ball left his hand AND after he already hopped twice. I know, he may have hopped to wait for Moss to turn but that's another discussion in itself which is he should have not waited and taken a little off of the throw and throw it early to the pylon still giving Moss time to turn and get there.

But he waited longer than he should have to throw it. He is known for seeing before throwing most of the time.

In terms of the NFL, that was not pressure enough to change his throw. Yes, he got hit once he let it go, but these are the throws QB's deal with in the NFL no different than a WR who is a foot open is considered WIDE OPEN.

Just like most expect Moss to make that catch off the slant, Alex is EXPECTED to make that throw if he's hit after the ball left his hand AND after he already hopped twice. I know, he may have hopped to wait for Moss to turn but that's another discussion in itself which is he should have not waited and taken a little off of the throw and throw it early to the pylon still giving Moss time to turn and get there.

But he waited longer than he should have to throw it. He is known for seeing before throwing most of the time.

He didn't wait for Moss to make the cut to throw the ball. He had to wait for Moss to get closer to his cut. Infact the timing is pretty close to perfect. He threw the ball before Moss turned to look for the ball because of the longer distance of the throw. But the throw was some what affected by the closing speed of the unblocked rusher.
He didn't wait for Moss to make the cut to throw the ball. He had to wait for Moss to get closer to his cut. Infact the timing is pretty close to perfect. He threw the ball before Moss turned to look for the ball because of the longer distance of the throw. But the throw was some what affected by the closing speed of the unblocked rusher.

You still trying, huh? Ugh... Just let em talk.. only the handful still believe a word he says anymore, and that's because his agenda and theirs is the same.

That's your opinion. Seen too many QB's make accurate throws in a similar position. Don't buy it. Ponder was able make some nice throws just before being hit.

You still trying, huh? Ugh... Just let em talk.. only the handful still believe a word he says anymore, and that's because his agenda and theirs is the same.

Your game reviews may be mostly accurate, but it is obvious they are getting to be very bias towards Alex and against the other parts. You say Moss could have probably caught that roll-out backside slant, yet you say it was too difficult for Alex to accurately throw that deep out.

I question your remarks when it comes to Alex Smith. He got the throw off before he was hit. If it was off because he flinched...well...that's on the QB.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 26, 2012 at 10:04 AM ]

Yeah, I see it circling back.. to no pressure. I'm done...
Share 49ersWebzone