There are 281 users in the forums

Week 3: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
You echoed my thoughts to a T! Again, not defending Alex here. He had two early bad high passes to Moss and then corrected it for the rest of the game (guess he needed to warm up a bit but it did cost us a TD and a big gainer).

As to the rest, 21 or 27...with more dropped passes. Again, he played very very efficient and made the right reads but its the offensive design and the lack of passing options WHEN that first-hit receiving option isn't open (like in this game a bit). You can just watch the game again and when he has to move in the pocket, roll out or scramble, just look down the field. There is NOBODY. On the other side, the Vikings seemed to have a more back-yard offense where players are used to ad-libing, scrambling, bailing out early instantly, etc. It's what you'd expect from a young QB and offense; make plays with your feet and get open. Granted, these are generally all or nothing results and it usually works against you but Sunday, it worked to perfection against us and my hats off to Ponder and the Vikings.

Sir, you say he missed two to moss. I know the end zone one, but are you also refering to the crossing route? I am not so sure I would call that missing. Alex was rolling right, and moss did not jump for it, if anything it was a hop at most.

But thereplay I saw did not show his feet too well.
Parys Haralson is surely missed on D, he coming in for Aldon would just given us some fresher legs out there.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
It's the defense that came out flat. Not the offense. Have looked through the first half. The offense was very crisp. Smith hit almost all of his throw except may 2. It's very encouraging going into the next game because my initial impression was that they were lethargic coming out. In the second half the Vikes did some adjustments, coupled with some mistakes, to kill some drives. The offense just didn't do enough to overcome the suspect defense of yesterday.

This is BS. The offense was far from "crisp" and the reason most passes were connecting is because they were dinky little safe throws that obviously weren't gaining enough yards to score points. We can't play that way or we'll lose many more games. The passing game needs to go for more than 4-7 yards. Watching every other decent offense, they constantly throw 15-20 yard passes with relative ease. A 15-20 yard completion (before YAC) that is easily executed by others is somewhat of a rarity for us, which is a very bad thing.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
It's the defense that came out flat. Not the offense. Have looked through the first half. The offense was very crisp. Smith hit almost all of his throw except may 2. It's very encouraging going into the next game because my initial impression was that they were lethargic coming out. In the second half the Vikes did some adjustments, coupled with some mistakes, to kill some drives. The offense just didn't do enough to overcome the suspect defense of yesterday.

This is BS. The offense was far from "crisp" and the reason most passes were connecting is because they were dinky little safe throws that obviously weren't gaining enough yards to score points. We can't play that way or we'll lose many more games. The passing game needs to go for more than 4-7 yards. Watching every other decent offense, they constantly throw 15-20 yard passes with relative ease. A 15-20 yard completion (before YAC) that is easily executed by others is somewhat of a rarity for us, which is a very bad thing.

OK, you might disagree with my description of 'crispness' to the offense early. But how is that BS... Go watch the first drive and the first half. Our offense in the passing was very good. Again this offense is take what they give you offense. That's what most NFL WCO offense do. There were only 2 missed throws in the first half from Smith the rest he connected with his receivers on the money, other than the throw aways and what not. And the 2 missed throw -- on one to Moss to the flag was a total miss under pressure. The slant to the left to Moss -- Smith threw a very good ball -- Moss turn his head late to the ball. The ball went past him and he consequently put up a left hand as a late reaction to it. Not good timing by both guys but not a bad pass by Smith.

Stop crying about the dinks and dunks because that's how most defense force you to do, and that's how most offense make a living. How about the Packers offense in the second half on MNF. After 8 freak'n sacks they went dink and dunk the whole second half for Rodgers to survive the game. Did it look like Jarred Allen let up long enough for our receivers to run 30-40 yards downfield or the 2 deep zone to let up..

We didn't do enough, there were mistakes on both offense and defense. But we did some good things at times in that game too. Which is encouraging going into the next game against the Jets. Which is my purpose of going over the game. To show you guys it wasn't all doom and gloom after that loss.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 7:16 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Sir, you say he missed two to moss. I know the end zone one, but are you also refering to the crossing route? I am not so sure I would call that missing. Alex was rolling right, and moss did not jump for it, if anything it was a hop at most.

But thereplay I saw did not show his feet too well.

Yeah, very early in the game...two high passes to Moss who is 7 feet tall. Moss got his hand on the 2nd one but couldn't pull it in (would have been a huge gain). After that, Alex settled down and hit him between the numbers the rest of the game and I don't believe he had any high passes after that. Just a matter of mechanics, adrenaline and/or not fully warmed up and "in" game mode. The rest of the game though, like one pointed out, he was 21 for 27 with the two high passes and more drops.
Yeah, very early in the game...two high passes to Moss who is 7 feet tall. Moss got his hand on the 2nd one but couldn't pull it in (would have been a huge gain). After that, Alex settled down and hit him between the numbers the rest of the game and I don't believe he had any high passes after that. Just a matter of mechanics, adrenaline and/or not fully warmed up and "in" game mode. The rest of the game though, like one pointed out, he was 21 for 27 with the two high passes and more drops.

Well like I'd said... Alex had 2 choices on that corner endzone overthrow.

(1) Fully absorb the blow from a free charging LDT by perfecting the pass ...
or
(2) Making a rushed pass so that he could brace for the impact of that LDT..

Usually, Alex elects for the first option.. this time, he tried to do both and the ball sailed about a foot over Moss.

Maybe if done over again, Alex takes that full shot and he's fine... maybe he's got another separated shoulder...
Originally posted by oldman9er:

or

Usually, Alex elects for the first option.. this time, he tried to do both and the ball sailed about a foot over Moss.

Maybe if done over again, Alex takes that full shot and he's fine... maybe he's got another separated shoulder...

You obviously watched that play much closer than I did...so I'll defer to you for sure. And thanks for the perspective. The other thing, when you're talking about Crabtree and Moss and youngsters like Manningham, they are going to run the wrong routes on occasion or not run them fully to their spots. Sometimes, a DB can reroute a guy, throw off timing, etc. So it LOOKS bad on the QB when the reality, the WR didn't/couldn't get to his spot. I just chalked it up to Alex b/c it was so early in the game/adrenaline, etc. and he has a tendency to throw high where only his guy can get it at times.

or

That was not a rushed pass. Alex hit his back step, was looking in that direction, hopped twice and then threw and then was hit. IMHO, he could have threw it a split second sooner but he still had time to get the throw off. He had the time. The rush shouldn't have affected the throw.
Originally posted by Joecool:
That was not a rushed pass. Alex hit his back step, was looking in that direction, hopped twice and then threw and then was hit. IMHO, he could have threw it a split second sooner but he still had time to get the throw off. He had the time. The rush shouldn't have affected the throw.

Yeah, I was about to do the same. He can't be serious at this point.

Yeah, I was about to do the same. He can't be serious at this point.

it's just gotten to be such an unfunny joke...
Some one smarter needs to explained to me why in the world Boone #75 let his guy go on that play. He had him initially.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:44 AM ]
Some one smarter needs to explained to me why in the world Boone #75 let his guy go on that play. He had him initially.

Zone blocking, and Boone lingered way too long on looking to the right (worrying about AD battling the LE).
[ Edited by oldman9er on Sep 26, 2012 at 8:50 AM ]
Originally posted by DirtyP:
Originally posted by 49ers4life242:
After rewatching the game we need pass rush real bad most defenses send in fresh pass rushers almost every down giants texans seahawks either we need to trust our back-ups or draft or sign someone we can come in to play other that justin aldon rmac n brooks

no team rotates a fresh pass rusher in every down unless they have to

Unless they have too? If you watch the fourth quarter of the minny game only pressure the d-line got was when coverage held up thats it. A team like the giants have 4 pass rushers that rotate to keep fresh harbaugh seems like he dosent trust dobbs,tukuafu,bakhtiari. The best time to get after the qb is when the oline is winded and the dline is fresh. Or am i wrong?

Zone blocking, and Boone lingered way too long on looking to the right (worrying about AD battling the LE).

Looks like he just gave his guy a good punched then let him go. He must assumed he got Goodwin on the inside to take the guy. But Goodwin took a double team with I assumed Iupati, on another Vikes to the left. Tough missed cause it was there for a TD.

This comes back to Smith. I have noticed almost all of these 'over throws' by Smith to the left outside are more upfield throws when the receivers are going more lateral. Remember the infamous Moran Norris 4th down missed. Same thing. Smith threw it more upfield lead while Norris goes laterally towards the sideline. Make me wonder if it's a little on how the receiver ran their routes. But that one to Moss look like just an overthrow under pressure. I remember he hit a few of those same route to Ginn and made beautiful on time connections.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Sep 26, 2012 at 9:03 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone