There are 398 users in the forums

Guess What? Now we're "Old Fashioned."

Shop Find 49ers gear online
As long as the Niners are winning games, they can call us whatever they want.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Originally posted by BayArea:
Originally posted by ninermedic:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
the media wants to promote big play offensive teams, and that is not the 49ers.

we're actually preventing big play offenses from looking good. (Packers, Lions) therefore, they don't like us.

I was wondering about this the other day, since the NFL seems to be pushing its product toward a faster-paced, higher scoring game, does the success of the 49ers, with our focus on fundamentals and balance, represent a problem for the NFL?

we have a pretty solid fan base. so i don't think so.

Right we do, but beyond the fan base. The top team in the NFL (ex. the Giants, Packers last couple seasons) are held up as an example of what the league offers. Both of those are pass happy teams. When the most dominant team in the league doesn't fit their prototype "modern" product, does the NFL have a branding issue?

Very possible. Maybe fans like to watch the "exciting" deep pass kind of play in superbowls etc.. The 49ers coming along and eating clock for most of the game might not keep their interest like the other teams. Maybe that explains the resistance to showing any validity to our style of play. That is very possible. They might hate that a team that doesn't fit their modern mold can actually win.

I heard something last year that the NFL was thankful that the Ravens and the 49ers were not in the superbowl. They said the Giants and Patriots had a much larger fanbase and the matchup was much more desired nationwide which = revenue for the NFL. Something to the effect of watching two dominant defenses battle against two slow working offenses in the superbowl would make for bad TV.

The last superbowl did break TV ratings records if I remember correctly.

Cmon man.

Conspiracy theories. Are you saying the NFL influenced Belicheck, Payton, McCarthy, and Schwartz to create explosive offenses? Or influenced the rest of the league to have their defenses bow down to them? Do you really think those guys gave a s**t about tv ratings? No, they cared about winning. This high octane offense stuff is a fad, started by the Rams in the late 90's. Solid defense and balanced offense is what ultimately outlasts everything in this league, whether the NFL likes it or not.

To say that the NFL did not want two great defenses to matchup in the SuperBowl is ridiculous.

No not really just observing. I am not saying anybody conspires. However I am saying they prefer certain teams to succeed over others. Not saying they actively try to hinder teams from winning.

No, not like that. I imagine a steering committee at the league level which would brainstorm and lay out where they want the league to be in 5, 10 seasons etc. The "big offense" thing, you are right, started independent of any central planning and it's a copycat league so others picked up on it. But they could still use that to their advantage, put rules in place to make that more the standard level of play. I don't think it would really ever come to them straight up discriminating against franchises that don't toe that line; it's more of an overall assumption that, like the cliche, it's a QB driven league and so to be successful you would have to have one. So in part my question was poorly phrased--I don't mean they are going to put a hit on the Harbaughs or anything, just when you have made these pass happy franchises the face of your league and then they get shown up by some "old fashioned" team it makes you look kinda goofy is all.

first on the QB driven league thing, the way it's used now implied that the league has become pass happy, hard to argue with a bunch of QB's going 5k passing yards last year. but in reality a strong run game is still important, and defense is still important.

the league won't allow themselves to look goofy, you'll hear the other old cliche of "defense wins championships" start being spewed all the time again.
Originally posted by Method:
I feel like all these analysts, Pete Prisco and Collinsworth Included, all hate the Niners from our years of dominance and can't give us the respect we deserve now

You called it correctly. Collingsworth in particular is only begrudgingly acknowledging the 49ers success. As a matter of fact, when all the other sports writers were writing comments about how the 49ers are #1, Collingsworth's name was initially followed by "no comment yet".

I don't think these Dallas/Giants/east coast team lovers will ever show proper respect for the 49ers. I guess us fans will just have to "laugh all the way to the bank: as we earn the Lombardi Trophy!
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
I feel like all these analysts, Pete Prisco and Collinsworth Included, all hate the Niners from our years of dominance and can't give us the respect we deserve now

You called it correctly. Collingsworth in particular is only begrudgingly acknowledging the 49ers success. As a matter of fact, when all the other sports writers were writing comments about how the 49ers are #1, Collingsworth's name was initially followed by "no comment yet".

I don't think these Dallas/Giants/east coast team lovers will ever show proper respect for the 49ers. I guess us fans will just have to "laugh all the way to the bank: as we earn the Lombardi Trophy!

Yeah because a superbowl win would dominate a billion biased articles. We don't have to read that trash, but I dare them not to watch the superbowl.

I am talking way too early of course.
I love are team we are all around good. Verry ballanced team with a unstopable d. Ill take that over these over glorified pass evey down teams. That have no d and don't even try to run the ball. The so called new era may be over allready look at breez brady and what we did to little rodgie. When those pass happy teams started it was new and teams were not equipped to stop it. Now teams are. Imo I think we are the future. and all our new rings will oprove it
winning a super bowl won't change a damn thing. there'll always be haters.

i remember when the SF giants won the WS...an ESPN radio host (colin cowherd?) actually played a clip of KNBR's call of the final out followed by an edited in sound effect of cheering and clapping that quickly fizzles out, illustrating how "underwhelming" and "forgetable" the giants 4-1 series dominance was, and completely slighting the team's "bucha misfits" label...it showed the true colors of the east coast media's elitism when any team other than their darlings wins it all...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Being 50/50 run/pass is what gets you an "old fashioned" label nowadays...don't take offense to it, it's actually the truth.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:

i remember when the SF giants won the WS...an ESPN radio host (colin cowherd?) actually played a clip of KNBR's call of the final out followed by an edited in sound effect of cheering and clapping that quickly fizzles out, illustrating how "underwhelming" and "forgetable" the giants 4-1 series dominance was, and completely slighting the team's "bucha misfits" label...it showed the true colors of the east coast media's elitism when any team other than their darlings wins it all...

Funny thing about Colin Cowherd is..he is from Seattle. The boy is confused.
Originally posted by 49erswillbeback:

Funny thing about Colin Cowherd is..he is from Seattle. The boy is confused.

it was either him or mike & mike...either way it was completely discourteous and dismissive to the giants' achievement....and of course their being in a position to influence national perception makes it worse, though knowledgeable fans will for the most part give credit to whom it's due

These so called experts call the 49ers old fashioned. Their only problem is that they're too young. These pass happy offenses have been around much longer than the date on their birth certificates. Check out the old USFL Houston Gamblers, they ran the run and shoot with Jim Kelly at the helm. A little later you have the Buffulo Bills with, yeah, Jim Kelly in command. Way back when you had the SF 49ers with the shotgun and Billy Kilmer at the controls. The LA Rams of the 50's had a passing attack that would make even today's teams drool. Bob Waterfield (married to actress Jane Russell) and the Dutchman Norm Van Brocklin played QB, talk about a QB controversy. So you could say that in the world of Pro Football everything comes full circle again and again.

They have whores for mothers.
[ Edited by AXEGRINDER on Sep 18, 2012 at 8:10 PM ]
I feel like all these analysts, Petw Prisco and Collinsworth Included, all hate the niners fRom our years of dominance and can't give us the respect we deserve now

It seemed to me that Collinsworth was all but cheering Detroit to get back in the game. No hate there!
I read this quote by Norm Van Brocklin and had to add it here:

"Van Brocklin suffered a number of illnesses, including a brain tumor. After it was removed, he told the press, "It was a brain transplant. They gave me a sportswriter's brain, to make sure I got one that hadn't been used." He died on May 2, 1983, the day after suffering a stroke'"
Originally posted by billbird2111:
F**king beat NFL beat writers and broadcasters!

They can't just call us a a "good team." They can't just call us a "great team," or even a "dominating team." No -- instead you hear terms like: "Niners get it done the old fashioned way."

How many of you have noticed this?

The latest shot across the bow of Good Ship 49er comes from non other than CBS Sportsline ANALyst Pete Pricso. Know what he writes in his power rankings? How about: "They are an old-fashioned team doing it in a different era of football." But that's not all, he goes on pontificate: "Even though I still have reservations about the style of football they play, as well as their passing-game limitations, they get the nod...."

What an F-JOB this complete and moronic clown TOOL this dude is. But he's not the only one. Oh no -- I heard the same thing out of Chris Collingsworth on the Sunday Night Football broadcast. We get it done the "Old Fashioned Way." In other words, we make grandma look "cool."

We're not "edgy" like RG III, Newton or Vick. We don't pass it like Rodgers and his stupid, moronic "Touchdown Dance." We're not the type of team to say, "hey, that guy in front of me just jumped off the cliff, perhaps I should too!"

No -- we just play complete football and beat the tar out of other, supposedly good, teams.

But can we get any credit for it? Grudgingly, yes. But only after some complete and utter tool gets his "Old Fashioned" shot in.

Rant ended

Saw Pete Prisco....stopped reading.

The guy's an absolute moron, I'd actually start worrying if he became too complimentary of the team. This is the same jackass who basically panned their entire draft last year, called Aldon a reach and all sorts of other nonsense.
Share 49ersWebzone