Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Guess What? Now we're "Old Fashioned."

Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
To me, it is totally bias.
They weren't calling the Vikings a few years ago, "Old Fashioned" when AP was tearing it up. They were propping them up.

I think it has more to do with our dink and dunk style and lack of deep ball passing. At the end of the day the NFL wants to see us throw it downfield for the highlight reel.

We're 11th overall in yards per attempt. No dinking or dunking going on here...

It's because we aren't throwing jump balls left and right that get picked, get hard hits, or get acrobatic catches.

I'm sure glad we don't play like that. The fundamental, precise, disciplined style of football that we are playing is extremely refreshing.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
#WhinerTalk

Not everyone in the media is gonna universally love the 2012 49ers. Get over it.

this x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Originally posted by defenderDX:
#WhinerTalk

Not everyone in the media is gonna universally love the 2012 49ers. Get over it.

THIS and then some. I wouldn't care if every single reporter stopped writing about this team completely. As long as they keep winning, why worry about what the media thinks?
Originally posted by goodthings19:
#WhinerTalk

It's a fact that the media will not always praise your team but that doesn't mean that we have to agree with it. Besides isn't that what forums like this are for?

"Waaaa. We're #1, and we're STILL b***hing about it."

#WHINERTALK!
Originally posted by mickey49:
Originally posted by defenderDX:
#WhinerTalk

THIS and then some. I wouldn't care if every single reporter stopped writing about this team completely. As long as they keep winning, why worry about what the media thinks?

It's like people can't give up their 2002-2010 victim complex. We're also #1 in all the power rankings and people have convinced themselves it's a long con to get the Texans ranked ahead of us. It's bonkers.
Don't care what anyone in the media thinks. We're 2-0 looking to go 3-0, that's the only thing we should give a s**t about around here guys. Nothing else matters, really
who cares? all i care about is winning
"Old fashioned", "game manager", and "conservative" are all adjectives that have been thrown around to describe our team and qb. Are they accurate descriptions of our team and qb? For the most part yes. Does it matter what the media thinks? Not at all, because we are winning our own way and kicking the teams that they constantly praise a$$e$ . Here's my adjectives to describe our team and qb: physical, dominating,intimidating,intelligent,consistent.... I could keep going on on.
I have no problem with the label. We are old fashioned. Smash mouth football geared towards keeping points off the board, clock management, and punishment teams on defense. Whats wrong with that ?

In an era where teams like to air it out and put up 40+ points per game (by the way, this brand of football was invented by the 80s/90s Niners), it's refreshing to see a team focusing on the particulars -- eg sound tackling, following assignments, controlling TOP.

Now, am I in complete agreement with this style ? No, because like all of you, I dont like the idea of giving the opposition the ball at the end of a game (a game where we've dominated through and through) and still having the small chance of losing. Id like to see us blow some of these teams out, and not give them the opportunity to squeak out a close one.

But the way we're playing, no problem.
Still winning, lol
The good news is that we should fly under the radar over the next few weeks playing less than elite competition.

The Giants game will be our next big measuring point. I have a feeling it will be more of a statement game than the Packers & Lions game combined.

BOOK IT.
they can say whatever they want.. as long as we keep winning
Originally posted by kidash98:
Personally, I don't give a damn how they describe us as long as we end with the "W" at the end of the day. Heck, the Dynasty Years, we were described as a finesse team, remember??? How that turn out, 20 years, 5 SB???

Hell with the naysayers, we come to play!

I don't know why everyone is getting up in arms about what the media is saying. They (media) are saying the niners are real and at the moment the team to beat. As long as they get the win like you said, that is the important thing.

I think some here on the zone get flustered about nothing or is that everything? If that is all they are saying, its not like its not true. This board, a lot of people want or expect JH to start doing the 3 ring circus because of the aquisitions this off season. We ARE doing it the old fashion way, establish the run first, that was how they played. Nothing wrong with that statement. It shows that JH is a person of foresight. Knowing some of the top teams are pass oriented, how do you screw them up? Keep the ball out of their hands, frustrate them and keep them from getting into a rhythmn. Also these teams cannot or have a hard time emulating the teams that have a run first style in practice when all they do is pass and don't really run. Things go in circles. Chill
let them talk. its just fuel to the fire for coach.