Is the 49ers offence to conservative?

Originally posted by Schulzy:
Some people will never be happy.

This is the absolute truth. Holy crap.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Some people will never be happy.

This is the absolute truth. Holy crap.

Wow!! You would have thought we lost the game or something. I just wanna reach through the screen and strangle some of these guys. We're 2-0 and it's not like we have Nolan or singletary as hc anymore we have an actual good coach now! But you know what? I'm pretty sure if we ever need a new coach all Jed would have to do is put in an add in the wz. I can sleep easy now.
I think think OP should just STFU!

I can't stand NOObs
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Smith is on pace to throw for 3200 yards and 32 TDs with 0 INTS -- Add in a bad game or 2 and you are still staring at about 28 TDs and 5 INTs. Oh and all of this done on a 66% completion percentage. Yes its a 2 game sample projected over another 14 but you've got to be kidding me if you think our O is too conservative.

Also Gore is on pace for 1500+ yards with 16 TDs -- again unsustainable but Gore will top 1200 and 10 easily. Kendall Hunter is going to turn in another 400-500 yard season with his current work load at 4.6 YPA.

Yes we're so conservative that were on pace to have 5000 total yards and 50 TDs. Seriously in its simplest form that means that we score a TD on 1 out of every 2 drives.

Akers is on pace for 40 FGs.....This offense is not conservative if anything it is flat out dominant.
Originally posted by sfout:
Smith is on pace to throw for 3200 yards and 32 TDs with 0 INTS -- Add in a bad game or 2 and you are still staring at about 28 TDs and 5 INTs. Oh and all of this done on a 66% completion percentage. Yes its a 2 game sample projected over another 14 but you've got to be kidding me if you think our O is too conservative.

Also Gore is on pace for 1500+ yards with 16 TDs -- again unsustainable but Gore will top 1200 and 10 easily. Kendall Hunter is going to turn in another 400-500 yard season with his current work load at 4.6 YPA.

Yes we're so conservative that were on pace to have 5000 total yards and 50 TDs. Seriously in its simplest form that means that we score a TD on 1 out of every 2 drives.

Akers is on pace for 40 FGs.....This offense is not conservative if anything it is flat out dominant.

Nice, so true. The OP is missin sum marbles..Even I who like to see lots of passes marvel at the balance of ALL AROUND football I am seeing, and it's only the 2nd game of the season. Can NOT ask for more...NINERS!
I don't think we're conservative. We're a balanced offense that keeps defenses unbalanced. I think we mix the running and passing game very efficiently. It's worked too. 30 and 27 points scored the past 2 weeks, and zero turnovers. More than enough to win any game, especially with our D.

If I have one complaint, it's the playcalling on 3rd & 1. We always go with that heavy jumbo set, run up the middle, and we get stuffed short of the marker more often than not. Our offense is supposed to be built on versatility and misdirection. Why not apply that philosophy to 3rd & short? Still love our offense though.
When I say "D" you say "erp." D..."erp." "D"....."erp." When I say "D', you say "erp." "D", "erp." "D", "erp."
Had some trick plays that just didn't work, like that flea flicker
I think the Lions game was Harbaugh's best game.

He kept the pedal to the metal, for the most part, and Crabtree bailed him out when he *did* get conservative. It was nice, even pivotal, to have Crabtree playing September football for a change.

That said, we were lucky to pick up those key 3rd downs. Two runs and a pass isn't especially aggressive play calling.
We definetly need to start airing.at least 4-5 bombs a game. Just to put games out of reach, so we can prevent potiential comebacks! For the 2nd straight week I seen Randy Moss walk to the sidelines in frustration and iratiting head nodding. Do to our lack of authority on our play calling. We really can take tops of defenses. Going for the juglar prevents A.Rodgers last drive comeback last week. Or tonights game coming down to the hands of kyle williams ...Again! When you have VD and Moss, we have nothing to lose only major gain. Why not have just a Super Bowl Defense but a Dynasty O as well. Teams will soon figure out how to shut down Romans creative run scheme. So let's start now. Arial attack combined with power run! Can I say 19-0
Originally posted by reno911:
I feel the 49ers offence is too conservative at times.The 49ers should open up the passing game more often to keep the defences honest.The 49ers run the ball too much on 1st and 2nd down.sooner or later teams will put 8 men in the box and the 49ers will not be able to run the ball effectively.The 49ers should use more play-action on 1st and 2nd down.

It's just the Harbaugh's philosophy. Both of them do it. Play it safe....super safe. Don't turn it over. Rely on the defense to seal the deal. It's maddening, but it works.
Didn't we have this conversation about the 49ers during the beginning of last year?
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Well I guess some people have to b***h about something.

It never ends.

Jesus Christ, this.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
16 wins

4 losses

Originally posted by reno911:
I feel the 49ers offence is too conservative at times.The 49ers should open up the passing game more often to keep the defences honest.The 49ers run the ball too much on 1st and 2nd down.sooner or later teams will put 8 men in the box and the 49ers will not be able to run the ball effectively.The 49ers should use more play-action on 1st and 2nd down.

There is a reason we do this. You may not understand. Look the lion's did stack 7 and 8 in the box, and we ran and still got yardage. Here is the thing, when you run and get 2nd and 5 or six as opposed to 2nd and 10, the D has to worry about all possibilities and not just the pass. We could do either. The reason guys like Justin and Ray, can play almost all day is because they don't have to back on the field so quickly or as often. Thus our D is fresh. The first two games we played teams that pass a lot, how do you keep them at bay? By not giving them as many possessions to score and chances to get in sync. This has also psychological effects on the oppositions O and D. The D gets worn down in the 4th Quarter. The O starts to fustrated and begins to push. Just look at Romo when he played the Seahawks as well as Brady and Brees today.

Also, the niners and AS can audible if necessary and they see something. Putting 8 man in the box means one on one with Moss VD and Crabtree or Manningham, whatever three that are in there. When they end up paying, they will be forced to back off. Also, do this and if you get caught ought of position means 10-12 yard gains like Gore had tonight, and one of these plays if hunter or gore gets pass the box and the others are playing man on man, then it good result in a home run.

Tonight, we had misses by Walker Miller and Manningham on the same series, that stopped the drive. We will get better though when Jacob returns, and the receivers catch the ball more. If anything, we had one too many trick plays, and if I dislike anything, is the jumbo package with tukuafu at FB, it hasn't been real successful and he has either missed blocks or is not kicking out his man. Leonard Davis or Kilgore might be a better choice. Also, a lot of people backed Walker, he has not all that well in two games, hopefully he'll make up for it and contribute, a player of his position needs to contribute more than he has.