There are 63 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What I took away from watching the Bears vs Packers game in relation to the 49ers

• Nuns
  • Veteran
The Bears D didn't pressure Rodgers like we did so he performed better

Rogers got sacked a bunch by Peppers and co. He looked shaken by the sacks as well. The offense didn't look that good at all.
Originally posted by fryet:
The Pack offense has had 2 weak showings (compared to last year). Conclusion: The 49ers defense may not be as lights out as we thought. Still good, though.

The Bears struggled offensively against the Pack defense, while we put up 30 easily. Conclusion: Our offense is pretty good this year.

Personally, I am not worried about our defense, and the signs for our offense look even better after seeing how much the Pack defense dominated the Bears offense, but didn't dominate us.

Bonus observation: The Pack ran effectively against the Bears defense. They couldn't run against the 49er nickel and dime defense. Conclusion: Our run defense is insane. I want to just play nickel defense against almost every opponent all year. Poor SOAP - he is going to be so bored playing only about 5-10 snaps a game, if we continue to play mainly nickel.

The problem with the bears D is Cutler. Our D is helped by a clock eating offense that can run against most everybody. The Bears have an elite passer that is a s**tty qb, we have a good passer who looks clutch and is on the elite side of the mental aspect of the game.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
The problem with the bears D is Cutler. Our D is helped by a clock eating offense that can run against most everybody. The Bears have an elite passer that is a s**tty qb, we have a good passer who looks clutch and is on the elite side of the mental aspect of the game.

very well phrased...
What I took away...

1) I completely forgive Staley for his performance on Matthews. MONSTER. Joe faced him all day 1-on-1. The Bears couldn't stop him when he was double-teamed.

2) Packer O misses Philbin. Something not quite in sync.

3) Niner O may be pretty damn good. The game last night wasn't nearly as close as the score. The Packer D that the Niners made look downright ordinary looked anything but against the Bears.
Originally posted by fryet:
The Pack offense has had 2 weak showings (compared to last year). Conclusion: The 49ers defense may not be as lights out as we thought. Still good, though.

The Bears struggled offensively against the Pack defense, while we put up 30 easily. Conclusion: Our offense is pretty good this year.

Personally, I am not worried about our defense, and the signs for our offense look even better after seeing how much the Pack defense dominated the Bears offense, but didn't dominate us.

Bonus observation: The Pack ran effectively against the Bears defense. They couldn't run against the 49er nickel and dime defense. Conclusion: Our run defense is insane. I want to just play nickel defense against almost every opponent all year. Poor SOAP - he is going to be so bored playing only about 5-10 snaps a game, if we continue to play mainly nickel.

This is where coaching comes in. Both Bears and Packers have top Running Backs and GB finally got smart in giving their guy 20 carries. Coaches fall too much in love with this passing era that their best runner with the ball...well...rarely gets to run with the ball.

This is what is being lost in this era. The RB has always be THE BEST RUNNER with the ball on any team. Coaches are taking that out of the equation on their own teams. Hell, that's what the first goal of any Defense used to be: stop their best ball carrier be it a WR or RB. The offenses are actually helping defense out in this era.

Teams are shooting themselves in the foot. Under Walsh, especially in the late 80's, our best players running with the ball were our WR's which was why they received the ball quickly.

BTW, the Smith/Harbaugh combination is fine with me.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:32 AM ]
Interesting that this might be the toughest first two games to start a Green Bay season on the defensive side, in quite awhile.

They will face the AFC South and NFC West this season so the only other tough Ds they'll face are:

Houston
Seattle

Arizona & Detroit probably second tier. Who knows with the Rams?

Minnesota with Allen will give fits on pass rush, not sure on the back side.

They'll win all of these games except Houston probably, but Rodgers will not be a juggernaut I think.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM ]
Jay Cutler: night blind from diabetes. That is all.
Originally posted by ninermedic:

More like blinded by thinking since our qb could pick apart that packers d surely he could. He's always been an arrogant prick.
And yes, watching the GB/CHI game did give me more respect for what Alex is doing for us.
[ Edited by Joecool on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:43 AM ]

More like blinded by thinking since our qb could pick apart that packers d surely he could. He's always been an arrogant prick.

Well, Alex has to "think" and play this "mental game" aspect because he doesn't have a BIG TIME ARM. When you have a BIG TIME ARM it doesn't matter if you can think or even see because, well, BIG TIME ARM.
what i got from the game yes alex does not throw for 5 or 4 hundred yards a game, but he never throws stupid interception
Well, Alex has to "think" and play this "mental game" aspect because he doesn't have a BIG TIME ARM. When you have a BIG TIME ARM it doesn't matter if you can think or even see because, well, BIG TIME ARM.

Smith has plenty of arm, but a common mistake is to think that the qbs arm is his greatest asset. Like I said before qbs like Cutler are elite passers, but are usually s**tty qbs. I already thought Smith was a better qb than he is. Smith is a lot better than many give him credit for. No matter how you wanna look at it, environment plays a huge role in qb development, and Smith came up in one of the worst situations imaginable. That is why I went from "danny why did we draft a effin qb?" To genuinely thinking we have a really good one in the making.
packers offense isnt what it used to be for some reason or the other

they averaged 15 points per game scoring 2 TD ( 1 each game) on ST
During the game last night the Bears couldn't protect Cutler. When Cutler is rushed he is known for making questionable decisions and throwing into traffic which is why he had all the INTs. Kind of how Favre would force throws to try and make something happen. If Cutler gets even descent protection, this is a whole different game. I still think Benson sucks despite his yardage against the Bears. I don't think the Pack offense has been weak though. Jennings is the most consistent and he was out. They still have a bunch of weapons but im still not convinced their defense has improved.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Packers are overrated! Run game sucks, defense sucks...ST and Passing offense is what they have. When they're one dimensional on offense, it should be easy to shut them down. They play in the weak NFC North against weak teams and their stats are over hyped.