LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

What I took away from watching the Bears vs Packers game in relation to the 49ers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Watching the game and looking back at some of the other games that were highlighted in the first week, everyone was complaining (and probably still are), that the niners OL is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Yes Clay Mathews abused Staley, but he does it to everyone and yes they still made some mental mistakes on special packages in running and passing plays, but considering they went on the road to Green Bay and broke their home winning streak. Gained great yards on the ground and AS hardly missed, they did great.

Our receivers as a whole are really good and will only get better as they hopefully will bond better with AS.

Also GB is not that good, in our game they got a freebie on the non call on the return to make the game closer than it was. Tonight, they needed special teams to score a TD. After two games at home, their O only scored an avg of 15 points. I thought the bears would be better. Yes Cutler was a head case, but this is why thursday night games are bad, especially when you are the visitor, remember when we had to play the Ravens on short notice on their turf, not good. The NFL should stop it espcially in important games like these.

I like and hope that AS continues to make the same quick decisions he made against the pack and makes the toss and not hold onto the ball too long, when he does that, only good things have happened. Right now the biggest opponent this Sunday night is complacency. So if we get buy the lions, who do you guys see as the biggest threat on paper to the niners chances.
  • Silky
  • Veteran
Patriots, the Saints are still scary even though they are in turmoil, I still think Chicago is good, and NYG. Yes we can beat all those teams, but we could easily lose them if they let their guard down,
Hit quote instead of edit to add the last part below...
[ Edited by Memphis9er on Sep 14, 2012 at 4:44 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Green Bay is better than we made them look. Cutler might be a great passer, but we have a much better qb. Matthews needs to be tested for HGH. Rodgers doesn't look like he is as good as all the media knob slobbering would have you believe. We will crush the bears, drive them before us and hear the lamentation of their women...

...maybe the green bay guys should've spent more time in the offseason getting better at football instead of making unbearable s**tty commercials.
I think we've hit the ground running more so then other teams that Ive seen play in week 1. Lions looked bad in the first half of the Rams game then came back to win it. We didnt let the Packers into the game and against the Bears, the Pack had to pull out a STs play just to get the W and in these early stages of the season thats all it is . . . . come away with wins and injury free. As the season rolls on the teams gel and things start clicking clicking again and the Packers should start looking like the Packers. They are just happy to get a win and move on really.
Fartgers is average at best (he couldn't even run the ball himself much last night LOL) when he has a weak o-line, weak running game and WRs dropping passes (no different than some of the problems Alex Smith had to deal the 6 seasons with Nolan and Singletary as 49ers HCs and still now Fartgers has a great HC and coaching staff). Fartgers wouldn't have survive if he was drafted 1st overall to the 49ers instead of Alex Smith. Fartgers was lucky he was put in the best situation possible (when you consider all circumstances, stable good WCO coaching on the offensive side, talented WR crop, time to sit and learn behind a HOF, taking over a play-off team, etc etc etc...), and the tables are beginning to turn for the 49ers and Fartkers, for the better and worst respectively (NO NFL team can stay good for too long nowadays, especially with the FA of today, the Fartkers are trying to fix their defense now with their draft and it won't get any better any time soon and their offense will suffer as a result. Fartgers probably don't even care, he's already got his SB and his best season last year). Like I said in another thread, the biggest threats from the NFC that we will face in the play-off are Dallas, then maybe ATL and NYG (the funny thing is NYG isn't even as good as last year). All of the teams in the NFC North are weak this year (weaker than last year).
[ Edited by MrTruth on Sep 14, 2012 at 6:39 AM ]
  • Chico
  • Veteran
The biggest threat to the 49ers are...the 49ers. As long as we continue to play our game, we should beat anyone out there. We play smart, ball control football and have a very talented roster to keep up with the best of them.

The only way we lose is if we get lazy & sloppy. Or, we get bad calls that turn the momentum of the game. 49ers should dominate anyone out there. I can't wait to punch the Patriots & Belli-cheat in the mouth on their home turf!!!
Originally posted by Chico:
The biggest threat to the 49ers are...the 49ers. As long as we continue to play our game, we should beat anyone out there. We play smart, ball control football and have a very talented roster to keep up with the best of them.

The only way we lose is if we get lazy & sloppy. Or, we get bad calls that turn the momentum of the game. 49ers should dominate anyone out there. I can't wait to punch the Patriots & Belli-cheat in the mouth on their home turf!!!

Agree!

... and when I read "lazy"? I think for most players, NO WAY. But then I reflect on some of the lack of finishing through the whistle on our OL. Our OL has improved, and should be good enough to not kill us. Now that said, Goodwin stands out the most as a non-finisher. He gives an initial block and too often lets up. All of our blockers (particularly in run blocks, but Goodwin is both run and pass block lazy) have too many times where they don't sustain blocks.. Not because they get beaten, but because they let off the gas before the play is whistled dead.

That should be dealt with. Again... read the underlined again before accusations of "bashing" the OL.
Pack did not need a ST score to beat the Bears. It was the INTs.
What I took away from that game was how good a team we are. First, we totally out-coach the opposition and then we out play them. We would have run up 60 points against the Bears and held them to zero.

The Bears, IMHO, did not correct their main problem - their OLine. Let's face it, if they signed Rachel - they are in deep do-do. Mathews is fantastic and their coaches use him well. Staley had a tough game - he admitted it - so I think this week he'll be out to make a point. He'll be up against another very soild player in Van d Bosch.

The Bears D didn't pressure Rodgers like we did so he performed better.

Next, our offense definitely had some miscues in our jumbo packages but player VERY WELL for the first game. In fact, after looking at the Bears game last night and some others last week - our OLine played excellent compared to them.

That ST play last night by the Packers was great! It was executed perfectly and I could see us doing the same thing with our excellent coaching staff.

Originally posted by Joecool:
Pack did not need a ST score to beat the Bears. It was the INTs.

yup ...plus our secondary smothered the Packs WR's the majority of the game, the Bears couldnt keep up with their passing game in the 2nd half, only Jennings had a strong game ....our secondary can be the leagues best if we can keep Megatron in check
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What I took away from that game was how good a team we are. First, we totally out-coach the opposition and then we out play them. We would have run up 60 points against the Bears and held them to zero.

The Bears, IMHO, did not correct their main problem - their OLine. Let's face it, if they signed Rachel - they are in deep do-do. Mathews is fantastic and their coaches use him well. Staley had a tough game - he admitted it - so I think this week he'll be out to make a point. He'll be up against another very soild player in Van d Bosch.

The Bears D didn't pressure Rodgers like we did so he performed better.

Next, our offense definitely had some miscues in our jumbo packages but player VERY WELL for the first game. In fact, after looking at the Bears game last night and some others last week - our OLine played excellent compared to them.

That ST play last night by the Packers was great! It was executed perfectly and I could see us doing the same thing with our excellent coaching staff.

They'll be drafting a LT with their #1 pick - Webb is terrible. Hell I wouldnt be surprised if they drafted 2 or 3 OL very early this year.

Their D got after him in the first but that fake FG for a TD just crushed them - it was a defensive battle until then and the bears just gave up then.
[ Edited by sfout on Sep 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM ]
Originally posted by MrTruth:
Fartgers

What are u 8?
[ Edited by 99problems on Sep 14, 2012 at 8:19 AM ]
  • fryet
  • Veteran
The Pack offense has had 2 weak showings (compared to last year). Conclusion: The 49ers defense may not be as lights out as we thought. Still good, though.

The Bears struggled offensively against the Pack defense, while we put up 30 easily. Conclusion: Our offense is pretty good this year.

Personally, I am not worried about our defense, and the signs for our offense look even better after seeing how much the Pack defense dominated the Bears offense, but didn't dominate us.

Bonus observation: The Pack ran effectively against the Bears defense. They couldn't run against the 49er nickel and dime defense. Conclusion: Our run defense is insane. I want to just play nickel defense against almost every opponent all year. Poor SOAP - he is going to be so bored playing only about 5-10 snaps a game, if we continue to play mainly nickel.
Originally posted by 99problems:
What are u 8?

thought the same thing
Share 49ersWebzone